Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 14:50 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 01:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 16:58:
I laugh when people are trying to pander to Disney to snub EA. They are both from the same cloth. Maybe they will, but don't think Disney is some type of moral consumer high ground.

There's a HUGE difference between Disney and EA. Firstly, Disney at least cares about their properties and takes steps as hegemonic as they are to protect the quality of their properties. It's one of the reasons the Marvel and Pixar films are so popular. Secondly, Disney OWNS Star Wars. They are not pressed for time like EA is. EA's multi-year contract expires in 5 years. This looming deadline is likely one of the reasons they canceled the Visceral project. EA only care about maximizing their profit.

Good points, although I did hear stories about meetings with Visceral devs with EA brass asking "how are you going to monetize it?" Since selling a full priced AAA title isn't monetizing a game enough. What a waste.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 14:35 Tipsy McStagger

Never played the other stalker games.. Only finished the first. I remember the ending being ridiculously hard with those Gauss rifle maniacs and a helicopter. Pretty fun times back in 2007 with it.  

27. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 09:37 yuastnav

Rhialto wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 20:38:
Seems I'm the only one who cares more about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. than Lucasfilm/EA

Not really. I was actually (in hindsight naively) expecting this thread to be about how that's a clickbait title because Stalker hasn't really fallen since it's still a great game and has an active modding community and playerbase but unfortunately I was wrong.

26. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 09:09 RedEye9

What a pre and post mortem. Good vid, never finished the game.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

25. Re: Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 07:53 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 00:58:
Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 13:28:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 13:15:
Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 12:27:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 12:21:
I wonder if that Petition is actually going to do something.. even if 1 million people signed it.

I highly doubt their contract has a clause that the license can be revoked if 1 million people sign a petition.

No, but the contract definitely has some sort of clause that states if EA mistreats the Star Wars property that Disney has the right to revoke the contract. I think generating a ton of negative press and getting governments involved less than a month before a new Star Wars film is a clear breach of contract.

It likely revolves around reviews and sales, not some general "mistreating."
In any case, this petition has as much influence as the vast majority of petitions - absolutely none. It doesn't tell Disney anything it doesn't already know, and there's no chance it's actionable.

"We didn't allow Joe Camel to encourage our kids to smoke cigarettes, and we shouldn’t allow Star Wars to encourage our kids to gamble." I don't know about you but I would call that a mistreatment of the property.

1) My initial point was this petition is meaningless, not that Disney has legitimate concerns

2) My secondary point is that "mistreating" is not legally defined and a very vague, general term, and therefore won't be found in a contract

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 03:46 eRe4s3r

Nah, but Stalker is dead, Star Wars isn't (yet) ;p

And GSC never getting to make STALKER 2 is a shame.

23. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 01:13 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 18:31:
No way Disney would ever give anyone favorable terms on a property they own. If a company is doing their property harm, which EA is doing, they damn sure have the right to terminate that contract whenever they wish. That's the only reason EA put it on hiatus to begin with. Bob Iger called them and told them to knock it off or they'd lose their contract.

It goes beyond that. Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to protect and maintain value. If one of their properties is suffering damage, then they can take immediate action. While EA's shareholders will be upset because their cash cow got murdered, Disney's shareholders are going to be angry because their cash cow got terrible PR before the film opens.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

22. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 01:09 Kxmode

I laugh when people are trying to pander to Disney to snub EA. They are both from the same cloth. Maybe they will, but don't think Disney is some type of moral consumer high ground.

There's a HUGE difference between Disney and EA. Firstly, Disney at least cares about their properties and takes steps as hegemonic as they are to protect the quality of their properties. It's one of the reasons the Marvel and Pixar films are so popular. Secondly, Disney OWNS Star Wars. They are not pressed for time like EA is. EA's multi-year contract expires in 5 years. This looming deadline is likely one of the reasons they canceled the Visceral project. EA only care about maximizing their profit.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

21. Re: etc Nov 28, 2017, 01:01 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 15:57:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 15:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 15:14:
Creston wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 14:02:
I wonder if that Petition is actually going to do something.. even if 1 million people signed it.

I highly doubt their contract has a clause that the license can be revoked if 1 million people sign a petition.

Haha, yeah. I'm fairly sure EA has a pretty ironclad contract with Disney. So while Disney can undoubtedly exert some influence over EA's Star Wars fiasco(s), I don't think they can just yank the license away.

Well, I mean, I'm sure they CAN, if they don't mind going to court and having to pay a shit ton of money in penalties.
It's the other way around with Disney having the ironclad contract with EA.
https://www.forbes.com/companies/walt-disney/
vs
https://www.forbes.com/companies/electronic-arts/

It would be funny if Disney acquired EA, then in two years they EA'd EA.

Don't give us hope!

Yeah. Give us a new hope.

20. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 00:58 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 13:28:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 13:15:

No, but the contract definitely has some sort of clause that states if EA mistreats the Star Wars property that Disney has the right to revoke the contract. I think generating a ton of negative press and getting governments involved less than a month before a new Star Wars film is a clear breach of contract.

It likely revolves around reviews and sales, not some general "mistreating."
In any case, this petition has as much influence as the vast majority of petitions - absolutely none. It doesn't tell Disney anything it doesn't already know, and there's no chance it's actionable.

"We didn't allow Joe Camel to encourage our kids to smoke cigarettes, and we shouldn’t allow Star Wars to encourage our kids to gamble." I don't know about you but I would call that a mistreatment of the property.

19. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2017, 00:10 Slick

It's kind of funny how the first couple paragraphs are all bitching about how SWBF2015 had so little content, no SP campaign, new maps, few modes, and the season pass had more content than the vanilla core game, so you basically had to pay $60 for the game and $50 for the season pass.

And no mention about how SWBFII at the least fixed all of those particular problems.

Some consistency would be nice. The only problem with the game is the progression system, and that can be fixed. People would be more upset if it sent back to a season-pass system methinks.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

18. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 22:44 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 18:31:
No way Disney would ever give anyone favorable terms on a property they own. If a company is doing their property harm, which EA is doing, they damn sure have the right to terminate that contract whenever they wish. That's the only reason EA put it on hiatus to begin with. Bob Iger called them and told them to knock it off or they'd lose their contract.

Gotta agree: money talks, bullshit walks.

17. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 22:24 jdreyer

Oh for sure, but only one company has won "Worst Company in the World" twice. It would also be hilarious, cathartic, and schadenfreudey if EA got EA'd. Not that I expect it to happen.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2017, 22:43.

16. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 20:38 Rhialto

15. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 19:06 Prez

Useless petitions are useless. If shit keeps going the way it has been, with EA pissing all over the Star Wars franchise, however, it may eventually get to the point that Disney may consider buying out of the remainder of the EA Star Wars contract. Even in that unlikely event, it's not like the license would end up anywhere better. All of the Publishers with enough bank to afford it are all just as shitty as EA.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 18:42 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 17:54:
vs

I'm not seeing anything about a contract, just market cap?

He who has the larger cap swings the bigger bat. Sure, EA might be able to win a contract dispute (but I doubt it). One things for sure is that they would be a broken shell of a company afterwards.
EA only has the ip by Disney's grace, damage the ip and you lose the right to profit from it.
And I bet Disney would have no problem proving damages.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

13. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 18:31 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

12. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 17:54 Creston

vs

I'm not seeing anything about a contract, just market cap?

11. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 16:58 HorrorScope

10. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 16:48 Shok

If sheeple voted with their wallets there would be no need for petitions.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo