Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a fine old time over the holiday weekend. We did the whole eat, drink, and be merry deal, we blacked out Black Friday, and I even cleared out most of the leaves from the backyard. That last part may have been too much though, as even though I'm not yet done with the job, I'm ready for another holiday weekend already. Hope all of you had a good, safe time as well.

R.I.P.: Computer Pioneer Geoff Tootill Passed Away.

Holiday Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Contradiction.
Story: Time Inc. Sells Itself to Meredith Corp., Backed by Koch Brothers.
Science: Light Therapy May Help People With Bipolar Depression, Study Finds.
3200 Phaethon, Giant 'Potentially Dangerous' Asteroid, Will Fly By Earth Before Christmas.
Media: Black Friday chaos from Finland.
"That tow truck driver is in trouble." Thanks Digg.
Russians doing sketchy sh*t.
The Funnies: Adult Children.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 15:19 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 14:41:
Meanwhile, the NYTimes has fallen hard. Latest WTF moment: puff pieces on Nazis.
Not all nazis are bad, some are Canadian.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 14:41 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 02:33:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 22:54:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 21:02:
Well, that certainly makes me feel better about having let my Time magazine subscription to lapse recently...

Yeah, had a Time subscription in the early 90s. Good articles back then, and the only way to really stay current on events in a reasonably deep way (or Newsweek, or Insight, etc.) if you didn't read a good newspaper daily. They also had good longform stuff. Sad.

Good reporting is essential in a democracy, and I really wonder how we're going to fund our press with things going the way they are. I've been putting off subscriptions to WaPo and The Guardian. Guess I better bite that bullet.

Speaking of WaPo, here's a hell of a thing. Including the video:
www.providencejournal.com/news/20171127/woman-who-approached-washington-post-with-false-moore-tale-appears-to-be-part-of-sting

I'm sure we'll get an explanation as to how this is actually proof that the MSM is full of lies and also that we shouldn't believe accusers. Or maybe it's an elaborate double-bluff.

Yup, anything to get Roy Moore elected. Good thing the WaPo did due diligence. But if the Veritas Media liars had been a bit moore careful, they might have gotten away with it. Dirty tricks fckers.

WaPo been doing good work this year. Ditto for The Guardian, which despite being British, focuses a whole lot on the USA.

Meanwhile, the NYTimes has fallen hard. Latest WTF moment: puff pieces on Nazis.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 12:21 RedEye9

Quboid wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 02:33:
Well, that certainly makes me feel better about having let my Time magazine subscription to lapse recently...

Yeah, had a Time subscription in the early 90s. Good articles back then, and the only way to really stay current on events in a reasonably deep way (or Newsweek, or Insight, etc.) if you didn't read a good newspaper daily. They also had good longform stuff. Sad.

Good reporting is essential in a democracy, and I really wonder how we're going to fund our press with things going the way they are. I've been putting off subscriptions to WaPo and The Guardian. Guess I better bite that bullet.

www.providencejournal.com/news/20171127/woman-who-approached-washington-post-with-false-moore-tale-appears-to-be-part-of-sting

I'm sure we'll get an explanation as to how this is actually proof that the MSM is full of lies and also that we shouldn't believe accusers. Or maybe it's an elaborate double-bluff.
Just trying to discredit wapo, laughable.
video recording of one of the meetings. The loser starts backpeddling pretty quick when it becomes aware the jig is up.
edit;
in case you hit the wapo paywall

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2017, 12:43.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 08:56 Verno

Google and Facebook are responsible for the majority of ad revenue and news aggregation these days. The problem is that they don't seem interested in actually producing anything original. So the magazines and papers are trying to stay current with less than half of the revenue while their originally produced content gets plundered by silicon valley. I have a buddy who is an old school journalist and its rough. This is in a time where quality, journalistic content should be even more important.

Sadly people don't care anymore, they just want quick shot video crap or buzzfeed style headlines.

Playing: Pillars of Eternity 2, Far Cry 5, Persona 5
Watching: Safe, Game Night, Last Flag Flying

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 02:33 Quboid

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 22:54 jdreyer

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 22:10 Hoop

Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 15:34:
Lots of people hated that you could one-button execute enemies for additional stuff, but that kept the dance fueled in a way that retreating for more health or armor wouldn't. It turned well timed dying enemies into a resource.

Exactly

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 21:02 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 19:23 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 14:24:
Time Inc. Sells Itself to Meredith Corp., Backed by Koch Brothers.
Another one down in the great American free press experiment.
http://adage.com/article/media/rip-time-fun-long-lasted-joe-nocera/311409/
the good
The period from 1995 to 2000 was print advertising's last hurrah. At Fortune the managing editor would sometimes begin the morning meeting by saying that we had just gotten 15 more pages of advertising and did anyone have any ideas about how to add some more stories?
and the bad
I just don't think Time magazine is going to be around much longer, at least not in a form its loyalists would recognize. When Meredith first tried to buy Time Inc. in 2013, it did not want to include Time, Fortune, Money or Sports Illustrated in the deal. There are already rumors that Meredith plans to shut down Time. My guess is that Fortune and Money are goners, too. None of them make money. Meredith publishes magazines for the heartland, like Better Home and Gardens, Family Circle and Ladies Home Journal. The Time Inc. magazines it likely covets are titles like In Style and Real Simple that it can market to its subscriber base.

Nullity's Law

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 18:36 RedEye9

Bard wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 18:21:

post vietnam strategy - destroy the press, or have it repeat your narrative to prevent interruption of war profiteering.
What good is graft and corruption unless it benefits you.
Jane Fonda had the gall to tell the truth, there are still thousands of Vietnam War vets who hate her.

Nullity's Law

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 18:33 Cutter

Bard wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 18:21:

post vietnam strategy - destroy the press, or have it repeat your narrative to prevent interruption of war profiteering.

Post-Vietnam? Eisenhower told the country it was already happening on his way out.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 18:21 Bard

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 15:34 Beamer

Hoop wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 14:45:
I know I'm late to the party but I did say I would like to share my take on Doom 16 single player.

Having just finished last years Doom campaign I would like to express my gratitude to all those involved in making it, I had given up hope my experience of Unreal 96 would ever be surpassed.
As with Unreal & Half-life Doom succeeds by constantly constricting scale, replacing intimate corridors with expansive awe-inspiring new killing zones.
Weapons are introduced slowly & upgrades nescessary, double jumps allow the arms to scale obstacles, rhythm is found intuitively.
Fluid motion of enemy is faultless their use of the environment a dance of death, aside from inevitable boss fights nothing breaks the flow.
Maps are layered & complex tightly folding back on each other like origami painted & lit to perfection. Having dished out mayhem & with levels this beautiful I enjoyed quietly taking in the views before progressing.
Sound effects are the best to pass through a 7.1 headset, complimenting the carnage they create genuine atmosphere & movie like immersion.
The fact that all the above loads fast & runs like melted butter on Ultra settings is incredible, I truely feel privileged to have experienced this Doom in all it's glory.

Yeah, in some ways it almost felt like a rhythm game, but in a good way. As you said, it was a dance - you needed to be in perpetual motion, circling around and blowing things up. Lots of people hated that you could one-button execute enemies for additional stuff, but that kept the dance fueled in a way that retreating for more health or armor wouldn't. It turned well timed dying enemies into a resource.

I loved it. Only complaint was that I couldn't start over with my progress saved, starting me as a super soldier and allowing me to find everything I'd missed. You can go back and replay levels, but not save in them, so if it was a 3 hour level and you played an hour then exited, when you went back you'd have to start over again.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 14:45 Hoop

I know I'm late to the party but I did say I would like to share my take on Doom 16 single player.

Having just finished last years Doom campaign I would like to express my gratitude to all those involved in making it, I had given up hope my experience of Unreal 96 would ever be surpassed.
As with Unreal & Half-life Doom succeeds by constantly constricting scale, replacing intimate corridors with expansive awe-inspiring new killing zones.
Weapons are introduced slowly & upgrades nescessary, double jumps allow the arms to scale obstacles, rhythm is found intuitively.
Fluid motion of enemy is faultless their use of the environment a dance of death, aside from inevitable boss fights nothing breaks the flow.
Maps are layered & complex tightly folding back on each other like origami painted & lit to perfection. Having dished out mayhem & with levels this beautiful I enjoyed quietly taking in the views before progressing.
Sound effects are the best to pass through a 7.1 headset, complimenting the carnage they create genuine atmosphere & movie like immersion.
The fact that all the above loads fast & runs like melted butter on Ultra settings is incredible, I truely feel privileged to have experienced this Doom in all it's glory.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2017, 15:20.

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 14:41 RedEye9

@"jdreyer"
Check my history for a monitor you might be interested in.

Been playing with the new Fire HD 10.
So far so good, Enjoying all that screen real estate and its a tad snappier than my nexus 7.2
Gonna side load the google play store and all should be back to normal.
It does not have GPS, but still knows where I am when I check the Maps app yikes. And that's scary because half the time I don't even know where I'm at. ;-)
The camera is 2-megapixel so I won't be putting any wedding photogs out of business.
But for a bill I doubt it can be beat.

GIANT ASTEROID
I got my purple towell, white nikes and grape kool-aid so all's well.

Nullity's Law

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 14:24 jdreyer

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 13:41 Tipsy McStagger

"That tow truck driver is in trouble" is a "fake" video.

They have a flat bed in the background ready to pick up the car right away.

Unfortunately, I clicked the click bait title.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 12:23 Cutter

It's good to leave some to mulch for nutrients for the soil anyway. Some people don't rake at all.  

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo