Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New Steam CCU Record

The Steam Game and Player Statistics page reveals a new Steam record for concurrent users, saying that yesterday 17,686,886 were logged in at the same time (thanks DSOGaming). This is a sizeable jump from the last CCU record we noted here, which was when it totaled 15.3 million in September. That page also reports today's peak player count for PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS is 2,798,630, which is well above the previous Steam CCU record for a single game noted here, which was when PUBG hit just under 2.3 million users in October.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 27, 2017, 19:19 wtf_man

Actually... I'm starting to re-purchase many games on GOG (when they're on sale), trying to get off of Steam as much as possible.

/shrug

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 27, 2017, 17:56 Tipsy McStagger

I love steam.. Never had a single issue with it and it has greatly benefited my life.

Glad to see it's still counting upwards.

The biggest beef people have with it is always "I want to be able to sell the games I bought without DRM blah blah blah". Personally, I don't give a shit to sell my used titles.. so it's a win for me and a loss for plebs.

15. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 27, 2017, 15:30 Primalchrome

Whatever gets you to sleep at night, man.... I guess the high ranked streamers that don't get wiped in 50% of their games by hackers are just git-gud-n00bs too...

(edit : Yes, there are a lot of hackers and it is a major problem for PUBG. I'm sick of all the whining and hyperbole being used as a bullshit excuse for all a player's deaths.)

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2017, 15:55.

14. Re: Cheating galore Nov 27, 2017, 13:18 dubfanatic

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 10:16:
Jagacademy wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 15:46:
PUBG has a massive cheating problem, to an extent I've never seen in any game I've ever played. Got squad wiped by hackers in 9 of my 21 games yesterday.
Flip side is that I've only ever seen a few hackers in 300+ hours of playtime. Kind of like some of the streamers screaming about stream snipers, I think a number of the "hax!" complaints are just deaths.

Hell, I'm a reflex challenged old man and I solo killed two four man squads in close combat this past weekend. No hacks...just piss poor situational awareness by their four man.

(edit : And I realize that so many of the 'get off my lawn' gamers want to look at the past with rose colored glasses....but that's not the way I remember it. I remember CounterStrike servers rife with *real* speed/wall/aimbot hacks back in the day. Half the servers you would get on would either have a hacker or had an active admin wasting his playtime banning them.)

Yesterday I got killed by the same hacker twice in a row. Once you get above a certain rating you start getting matched with cheaters.

13. Re: Cheating galore Nov 27, 2017, 10:16 Primalchrome

PUBG has a massive cheating problem, to an extent I've never seen in any game I've ever played. Got squad wiped by hackers in 9 of my 21 games yesterday.
Flip side is that I've only ever seen a few hackers in 300+ hours of playtime. Kind of like some of the streamers screaming about stream snipers, I think a number of the "hax!" complaints are just deaths.

Hell, I'm a reflex challenged old man and I solo killed two four man squads in close combat this past weekend. No hacks...just piss poor situational awareness by their four man.

(edit : And I realize that so many of the 'get off my lawn' gamers want to look at the past with rose colored glasses....but that's not the way I remember it. I remember CounterStrike servers rife with *real* speed/wall/aimbot hacks back in the day. Half the servers you would get on would either have a hacker or had an active admin wasting his playtime banning them.)

12. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 20:49 Ant

I helped.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 20:29 Pigeon

That's a lot of Chinese bots trading cards and hats.  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 26, 2017, 19:26 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 18:42:

There's a pretty big lag with a VPN.
I hopped into a Quake Live match over a crappy wireless connection, but that was not the bad part.
I had forgot and left my vpn on, it felt ok'ish. But some of the other players called me a warping piece of excrement. I am still in therapy.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

9. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 18:51 jdreyer

Luke wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 17:55:
Nothing like a god spyware running in the background

God doesn't need spyware. He sees all, knows all.

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 26, 2017, 18:42 jdreyer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 16:10:

Each and every time, it is someone with a Chinese name. I have absolutely no idea why Bluehole feels the need to have cross-region play, when there are already 100's of thousands (or millions) of players in each region.

In the US, people risk a Steam ban for cheating. In China, they risk absolutely nothing, so cheating is rampart.

Even if they didnt allow cross-region, chinese folks could vpn and get around that. It's the biggest FPS game out there right now, and therefore will attract the most cheaters. A smart option would be only to allow verified users with a public profile, no vac bans, and possibly a required amount of playtime on your account on more hardcore servers.

There's a pretty big lag with a VPN.

Stay a while, and listen.

7. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 17:55 Luke

Nothing like a god spyware running in the background  

6. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 17:11 Jerykk

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 15:38:
That's a lot of laptops where little timmy installed Steam on Grandma's computer because he wanted to play minecraft.
I bet the difference between on-line an in-game is 3 to 1.

Okay? It's not like Valve was claiming otherwise. This statistic simply shows how many people are using Steam at the same time, regardless of what they are doing on Steam. Valve doesn't really care if you're playing games or not.

Also, Minecraft isn't on Steam.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 26, 2017, 16:56 Jagacademy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 16:10:
Even if they didnt allow cross-region, chinese folks could vpn and get around that. It's the biggest FPS game out there right now, and therefore will attract the most cheaters. A smart option would be only to allow verified users with a public profile, no vac bans, and possibly a required amount of playtime on your account on more hardcore servers.

The fact that 1 out of 10 people will then use a VPN to continue to cheat, is an asinine reason not to bother doing it. Even getting rid of half the cheaters would be an improvement.

4. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 16:16 ForgedReality

Never touched this game, and zero desire to do so. I don't have a Facebook and I've never played WoW either. Niche things just seem better to me.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 26, 2017, 16:10 Mordecai Walfish

Each and every time, it is someone with a Chinese name. I have absolutely no idea why Bluehole feels the need to have cross-region play, when there are already 100's of thousands (or millions) of players in each region.

In the US, people risk a Steam ban for cheating. In China, they risk absolutely nothing, so cheating is rampart.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

2. Cheating galore Nov 26, 2017, 15:46 Jagacademy

1. Re: New Steam CCU Record Nov 26, 2017, 15:38 RedEye9

That's a lot of laptops where little timmy installed Steam on Grandma's computer because he wanted to play minecraft.
I bet the difference between on-line an in-game is 3 to 1.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo