Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Forbes - EA Is Now Ironically Stuck With $60 'Battlefront 2' And No Good Way To Re-Monetize It. It's a death row pardon two minutes too late. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
"The sweet, sweet irony of all this is that EA has essentially gotten itself stuck back in the stone ages, where you sold a game for $60, and that was it. They can’t charge for DLC they already promised would be free. They can’t reintroduce the same loot boxes. They might not even be able to do cosmetic loot boxes. They’re stuck with trying to get people to pay a flat $60 for the game with no real way to reintroduce 'games as service' monetization without sparking a second inferno among fans and making legislators look at them even more closely."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2017, 09:21 Retired

"The sweet, sweet irony of all this is that EA has essentially gotten itself stuck back in the stone ages, where you sold a game for $60, and that was it

huh? Then you mean $29.99 - but BACK THEN, we could mod the game, had our own servers, etc etc etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2017, 04:44 Grumpy Sod

Asmodai wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 02:01:
Sad fucking thing is, I used to love seeing the square/circle/triangle coming up on the Amiga. It meant you were about to play a quality game.

I was just saying this the other day. That and the guy growling "EA BIG" before SSX etc.

14. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2017, 04:04 Kajetan

Asmodai wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 02:01:
Sad fucking thing is, I used to love seeing the square/circle/triangle coming up on the Amiga. It meant you were about to play a quality game.
Times change. As do companies.

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2017, 02:01 Asmodai

12. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2017, 01:54 Tipsy McStagger

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 14:35:
It's a Forbes article, I'd sooner believe quotes from the big book or derek smart.

First thing I thought too..

Now there's always a little truth in the article but it's still a forbes article.

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 20:16 Cutter

How much does he want to bet that they're not stuck. They're just waiting for the hoopla to die down which won't be long. And they'll tweak it and rebrand it and call it something else to make it more palatable. The only way they'll stop is if a law is passed or people come to their senses and stop giving them money entirely. This is the perfect time to be a competitor in this market. Wish I had the resources to make an old school FPS with player run servers, mods, skins, etc. like it used to be. You'd clean up big time and kill all these grindy P2W BS FPS' in no time.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

10. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 18:46 NKD

It's a Forbes article, I'd sooner believe quotes from the big book or derek smart.

This particular article aside, it's unfortunate that people seem to give so much credibility to these Forbes "Contributor" articles. They are just personal blogs with little or no vetting or editing.

You are being watched.

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 17:17 Agent.X7

I'm sure we're all crying for EA's bottom line...  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 17:09 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 16:33:
Or they could just pump out Battlefront 3 and release it next year.

Nah. Episode IX is 2019 so BF3 will be 2019, too. But they will probably push a gigantic bantha poodoo load of microtransaction-infested "free" DLC next year.

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 16:33 Jerykk

Or they could just pump out Battlefront 3 and release it next year.  

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 15:57 Prez

Ahh this is delicious. FUCK EA.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 15:37 eRe4s3r

The Forbes article overlooks that the current CEO is the reason this shit started, the RMT shemes (Lootboxes, Fifa Ultimate Team functions from 2009 !!! and how it is now part of every EA property) are literally his invention. So this is really just showing that a CEO with a 1 trick pony can be great for your stocks, until that 1 trick pony is dead. And EA got no new IP anywhere. To even call this outfit a Publisher is a joke. They don't fund new games, they only recycle old ones.  

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 15:32 Creston

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 15:08 jdreyer

Gosh, now I feel dirty.

And does anyone really care about EA and the bed they made.

I dunno, the analysis seems spot on to me. Most of those tech articles on Forbes are written by freelancers, so they haven't drunk the Forbes Kookaid. Basically, EA thought they were being this dog, but ended up being the dog in this Aesop fable.

They'll be fine. They'll get their development costs back. They just won't make their 40% profit.

Stay a while, and listen.

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 14:45 DangerDog

EA hasn't really made any promise for free DLC beyond some of the scraps they held back like the Last Jedi movie tie in map and the laughably free single player DLC, does anyone really think this wasn't finished before the game shipped?

They can't go cosmetic on MT's it would require the entire game to be rebuilt from the ground up, charging $5 for a skin won't earn them anywhere near the haul they were going to make before they shut it down.

It'll be booster packs with crystals, you'll be able to use crystals to buy specific star cards, the cost of the cards will be tiered based on their power level. You'll probably get an XP boost as well as scrap to upgrade your cards.

I think they'll tie credits earned in game to actually playing the game, so many people are now going AFK and just getting credits for being in the game.

That's about it, and if it doesn't make extra money they'll sunset this game by Feb.

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 14:35 RedEye9

Gosh, now I feel dirty.

And does anyone really care about EA and the bed they made.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo