Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway

GOG.com has a reminder that the previously announced free weekend preview for SpellForce 3 is now underway. Here's word on how to check out the upcoming RTS/RPG:

Get a free slice of magic - no force required!

SpellForce 3, the epic continuation of the RTS/RPG series, is just around the corner and you can already pre-order it, DRM-free on GOG.com. But before you make up your mind, why not have a free bite on the house to see how it tastes?

Go ahead and join us for a Free Preview Weekend by getting your free slice of the game right here. It contains 4 skirmish maps, 1 singleplayer mission and the fully-functional multiplayer mode of SpellForce 3.

The Free Preview Weekend will last until November 27, 11PM UTC.

After that time, the Free Preview version will get automatically removed from your library.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 27, 2017, 00:18 Xero

I was a huge AMD fan when they first came out and I got my Compaq with one installed. I tried to stick with them being the cheaper of the two but in the end, you get what you pay for.

Intel has been headache free for me since I switched from AMD in my builds. I never went back. My last AMD was the Black Edition of whatever it was called, lol. Long ago.

Currently playing: Counter Strike Go, The Witcher 3, Shadow Tactics
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 16:18 Cutter

Slashman wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 08:29:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 17:37:
Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 16:02:
I thought this was supposed to be a different demo with Elfs or somethings. Anyway it's the same one from Steam and it's still locking up my PC when I run it.

AMD issue, right? That sucks. For what it's worth, the game is really good, hopefully AMD CPU people bug them enough so they patch it up.

And this is why I don't buy AMD hardware. I refuse to have to wait every time a new game launches for AMD to provide patches to make it so I can run the game that nVidia/Intel people are running with no issues. The list just keeps getting longer. I refuse to stand in line for AMD.

Dude, this is the second game this is has happened with in like a decade now so give it a rest. A similar Intel/Nvidia setup would have easily cost me double. So yeah, if that means missing out on the ocassional game I'm fine with that for the cost-savings. Fools and their money are soon parted.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

14. Re: GeForce Experience 3.0 Released Nov 26, 2017, 13:38 Gojo

Kajetan wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 12:45:
Is it so hard to see, that people want functioning products and not only competion for the sake of having a competition? I bought a AMD card years ago. Excellent hardware, really, but horrible, HORRIBLE drivers. Went back to NVidia with their not so excellent hardware, but drivers which do not give me a headache every time i start a game.

Thank you!!
A buddy of mine has been a die hard AMD supporter since the early 90's and CONSTANTLY had issues at our lan fests. Never affected his blind devotion to them though. I've supported them a few times over the years but never gained confidence in their products. Every time a game bugged out I would have to figure out if it's an actual game bug or just another AMD issue. Granted, the AMD issues were rare but I like not worrying about it when I launch a game.

=-Gojo-=

13. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 26, 2017, 13:09 El Pit

Kajetan wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 12:45:
El Pit wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 12:27:
Crosses, holy water, and lots of praying to intel help against AMD, right? I mean - without AMD, this world would be a better place. intel would sell their CPUs at lower prices and would not hold back on innovation, right?

Some people... *sigh*
Is it so hard to see, that people want functioning products and not only competion for the sake of having a competition? I bought a AMD card years ago. Excellent hardware, really, but horrible, HORRIBLE drivers. Went back to NVidia with their not so excellent hardware, but drivers which do not give me a headache everytime i start a game.

He was NOT talking about AMD graphics drivers but AMD hardware IN GENERAL. And with Ryzen out there being a monster at cost-performance ratio, he is obviously just a (mindless? paid?) shill.

The message being: Hey, to each their own, just don't talk shit about products you don't like and obviously don't know a lot about.

I like my Ryzen x1700 @3.8 GHz in combination with my Geforce GTX 1070. I had intel before for more than a decade but the lack of innovation and intels ridiculously high prices made Ryzen the first choice in the end.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

12. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 26, 2017, 12:45 Kajetan

El Pit wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 12:27:
Crosses, holy water, and lots of praying to intel help against AMD, right? I mean - without AMD, this world would be a better place. intel would sell their CPUs at lower prices and would not hold back on innovation, right?

Some people... *sigh*
Is it so hard to see, that people want functioning products and not only competion for the sake of having a competition? I bought a AMD card years ago. Excellent hardware, really, but horrible, HORRIBLE drivers. Went back to NVidia with their not so excellent hardware, but drivers which do not give me a headache everytime i start a game.

11. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 12:42 WaltC

Ah, too bad for the Intel shills--making up more crap about AMD...;) Game fired up fine--immediately--if there are problems with it, they have nothing to do with AMD hardware.

Seriously, it's highly amusing, the last time I heard this kind of crap from Intel shills was 17-20 years ago--have never heard it since, except for today, posted by someone who has no clue (as usual)...;) What is it, I wonder, that motivates people to lie about hardware?...can't figure it, myself. Where do they come up with these brilliant deductions?...;) Ah, well...the more things change the more they stay the same...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

10. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 12:27 El Pit

And this is why I don't buy AMD hardware. I refuse to have to wait every time a new game launches for AMD to provide patches to make it so I can run the game that nVidia/Intel people are running with no issues. The list just keeps getting longer. I refuse to stand in line for AMD.

Some people... *sigh*

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

9. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 12:14 CJ_Parker

WaltC wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 12:05:
I've been using AMD exclusively at home since 1999

Please rest assured of my heartfelt condolences!

8. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 12:05 WaltC

Only people I know who "wait" on things related to gaming are Mac owners who later decide they'd like to play a few games...;) They all use Intel cpus, but it doesn't help them in the least--object lesson there is, if you like gaming *at all* then do *not* buy a Mac--unless you are planning on running Bootcamp--which is a lot of hassle to go through unnecessarily, as there is nothing a Mac can do that any half-decent x86 Windows box can't do, and a lot that the Mac can't do at all (like gaming support, for instance.) But moving on...

Your post has me wondering if Intel hasn't dropped back to paying idiot shills to lie about AMD hardware online (again) just to discourage people who don't know better from buying AMD. (Only you know whether you are a shill or you aren't--all I can determine is that you are either woefully ignorant or you are a shill, paid or otherwise.) If Intel has reverted to this kind of nonsense talk then God help 'em, they must be worried to death. Intel hasn't been the only x86 cpu game in town for over twenty years, regardless of how wistfully Intel pines for its halcyon days as the King of the Hill cpu Monopolist...;) With any luck Intel will never see that market position ever again.

But addressing your remarks, specifically: you're an idiot, and I say this in the nicest of ways--I'm not saying it unkindly--you are just almost two decades behind the curve, that's all.

I've been using AMD exclusively at home since 1999--my last personal Intel cpu was purchased in 1998--and I've never looked back nor had the first reason to do so. In all of that time I have never purchased a game that refused to run--or that even gave me problems--because I was using an AMD cpu. Not even once. My GOG library presently consists of 273 games--from the most recent to 30-year-old titles; my Steam Library holds 52 games, and my Origin library holds 47 titles--Ubisoft library I think is maybe 5 titles--with no overlap among any of these distributors. Additionally, I think I still have 15-20 disk-based games that I rarely use anymore but which I keep for purely sentimental reasons. But gee, every single one of these games has something in common, as in they *all* run fine on my AMD hardware--even if that hum-drum fact amazes and astounds you...;) [I'll give you a moment to come up for air. I realize this must be somewhat of a shock for people whose technical knowledge about the world we live in hasn't grown a mm in the last two decades!]

Quick lesson in computer tech for you: If you are using a 64-bit Intel Core 2 cpu, or a later derivative thereof, you are running AMD (whether you like it or not) because all (and I mean all) 64-bit x86 Intel cpus license and use AMD's x86-64 extensions. Yep, every 64-bit Intel cpu has licensed the tech from AMD--which is no big whoop because AMD and Intel for decades have worked together and cross-licensed a whole bunch of stuff...;) (Rarely does AMD need Intel's IP, but as in this case, Intel is often in need of AMD's, as it turns out.)

It all happened during the two decades you've been *asleep*. *All* current x86 64-bit desktop computing owes its origins to AMD--not Intel...[I have neither the time nor the inclination to educate you on Itanium--now at long last finally and forever defunct--Itanium is where Intel imagined moving the masses for 64-bit desktop computing at the time of Intel's *actual ad campaign* about AMD's A64, which amounted to Intel saying in advertisements: "You don't need 64-bits on the desktop." Actual quote. Yes, Intel actually ran ads with that text because AMD had caught it flat-footed with the A-64--technology for which Intel had no marketable answer at the time. The A64 pulverized Intel's "finest" at the time and sent the original 32-bit Pentium architecture to the scrap heap--Intel cancelled it because it could not compete with AMD's [64-bit] cpu designs at the time.

In fact, it's been a long time since your remarks ever had any meaning, and the only reason they would have then (18 years ago) is because the compilers the game devs were using were not yet optimizing and in some cases even supporting AMD x86 cpus. But those issues disappeared long ago--and they simply are not issues today--at all, no way, no how...;) Hasn't been an issue for many years, in fact.

I'm going to check out this game myself today on GOG to see if it's true that a game developer might go out of his way to deliberately code a game to detect and then not run if AMD hardware is present. If that's true then this developer can look forward to a long, cold, exceedingly hard winter ahead...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

7. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 11:47 HorrorScope

Alamar wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 00:08:
Main problem I had though, was when you want to move workers from one building to another, you can't just remove a single worker (unless it's already fixed); you have to unload them all, then re-add the number you want.

You click the head prior. For example if you have 3 workers assigned, click the 2nd and the 3rd is removed. Took me a bit to figure that out to.

I'd say a lot of the complaints are UI type stuff. Several complain about hot-keying hero attacks, but you might as well just use the radial it slows/stops time and all the actions are listed right there. Simple and effective.

It's a $20 game for me, buggy enough I want to wait and by then it will be cheaper. But should be fun when the time comes.

This was smart of then running free test weekends. It isn't a popular franchise and this at least gets the word out there.

6. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 11:33 Zoom

Is it getting closer to the first game ? I remember looking for a game close to Rage of Mages (an oldie classic i liked a lot) and didnt find much, according to my searches Spellforce was the most approaching.  

5. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 08:29 Slashman

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 17:37:
I thought this was supposed to be a different demo with Elfs or somethings. Anyway it's the same one from Steam and it's still locking up my PC when I run it.

AMD issue, right? That sucks. For what it's worth, the game is really good, hopefully AMD CPU people bug them enough so they patch it up.

4. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 00:08 Alamar

I'm definitely going to pick this up when I have enough time that I think I can get through it...

Main problem I had though, was when you want to move workers from one building to another, you can't just remove a single worker (unless it's already fixed); you have to unload them all, then re-add the number you want.

I did like that I had carts going between my zones all over the place, but the zones themselves seemed so close together, and so abundant... I only ended up creating some basic unit (because I got some blueprints that upgraded them), so didn't get to try varied types.

The various heals, and AOE attacks were fun against peons too : )

3. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 25, 2017, 19:53 Osc8r

Heroes felt pretty underwhelming, as did the shops.

Building system seemed like a few steps backwards.

I'm hoping these were just limited due to Beta.

Interested to see what the Titans are like, and i'll probably buy it anyway as it has coop and Spellforce 1 was awesome (2 not so much).

2. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 25, 2017, 17:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

1. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 25, 2017, 16:02 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo