Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Black Mesa Delayed

A Steam Community announcement from the folks behind Black Mesa indicate that just working on a Valve-related project invokes "Valve Time," as they announce yet another setback to the final completion of this remake of the original Half-Life first announced about 13 years ago (thanks RedEye9). The good news is Crowbar Interactive says they take full responsibility for the delay, so you can stop beating yourself up over this. Here's word:

Straight to the bad news: we are pushing back the release of Xen. We are truly sorry for getting everyone's hopes up and then delaying... again. We worked very hard to make December, but we are not yet ready. As a team, we take FULL responsibility for that. We have an internal deadline we are confident in, and we will be getting everyone more details as we get closer to that date.

Thank you again to our community and Early Access supporters. The funding from Early Access has allowed us to hire many new talented developers, and has allowed older developers to put more time in the project. Simply put, Xen has proven to be an enormous undertaking, and while we are managing it to the best of our ability, it is proving to take longer than we estimated.

The good news is that we will be releasing a large update in December to test all of the new features that have been developed for Xen. We have changed a number of things within the Source Engine, and we want to make sure they all work on the myriad of PCs out there. By enabling the new tech on the Earthbound section of the game, we can get the engine/code fully stabilized on Steam before we drop the final chapters.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 27, 2017, 01:37 Nucas

Capitan wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 13:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 09:57:
Capitan wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 02:23:
Pity that they didn't use a newer game engine for this. It looks they try to push the last ompf out of the good ol GoldSrc?
The Steam version is on a new engine and is not on GoldSrc. It is running on a branch of the TF2 Source engine.

Ok, my bad. But still it looks as something released 10 years ago,

whatever you say, dude; if nothing else, at least you're still getting some enjoyment from the project, even if it comes from simply swinging around your super stylin' jaded-negativity hard-on.

i thought black mesa was fun when i played it and i'm looking forward to seeing what they did with xen. the original levels were shit (i usually just noclip-cruised through them) and they displayed a stunning lack of imagination. everything i've seen gives me cause for positivity but it's also been like 10 years and i admit i don't really ever spend time thinking about the game. i've got it chalked up as a potential pleasant surprise if ever they get around to actually wrapping it up.

slipping two dates (that i suspect they only even announced because they felt internally they needed pressure to actually finish the project) doesn't bode well but there was obviously progress made so i guess i'm just back to not caring either way personally.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 13:48 Capitan

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 09:57:
Pity that they didn't use a newer game engine for this. It looks they try to push the last ompf out of the good ol GoldSrc?
The Steam version is on a new engine and is not on GoldSrc. It is running on a branch of the TF2 Source engine.

Ok, my bad. But still it looks as something released 10 years ago,

20. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 11:54 Acleacius

It's now developed as professional AAA level game, it 'IS' a very high quality remake. It's miles apart from the original mod from more than a decade ago. It's hard to believe the bullshit in this thread.

It's very much worth the current sale price, an excellent deal.

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

19. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 09:57 RedEye9

Ant wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 00:19:
Not free? Bah.
You can still download the free version. But at 8 bucks (on sale), the steam version is less than the price of a cheeseburger, fries and soda.
Nucas wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 22:31:
why even bother with the release dates? i still remember the words "do or die" applied to the december release date when the august date slipped. maybe they felt they needed a push?
Valve even tells Early Access teams not to announce release dates, and up till now they had been following that simple quide. I bet they wish that they still had followed it. And saying "do or die" was stupid and they admit that. There is a quote about software development and it goes something like "Double the time you think it will take to make a project and then double it again" http://www.smart-jokes.org/how-it-projects-really-work.html site has some funneh software jokes.
They are still adding things to the engine. Plus they would be the first to tell you that they are SLOOOOOW at what they do.
Kajetan wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 06:14:
Creston wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 00:31:
Is there anyone actually excited about the Xen part?
I want to see what they do with it. Apparently they are not simply rebuilding the classic levels, but are redesigning them the get rid of these annoying super mario parts.
Where as the earth bound levels are considered to be re-imagined, the off-world levels are supposed to be almost all originalish, and you can see it from the Xen screenshots they have released.
I, like many others, disliked Xen. It did not have the quality of the earth levels while feeling rushed and tacked on.
Hopefully Crowbar Collective completes the game, I have drank the kool-aid and have the purple tongue to prove it.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

18. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 26, 2017, 06:14 Kajetan

I want to see what they do with it. Apparently they are not simply rebuilding the classic levels, but are redesigning them the get rid of these annoying super mario parts.

17. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 05:55 CJ_Parker

Nope. Xen was a total coitus interruptus that turned a great game into an abysmal shitfest for the last couple of hours. It's one of the reasons I consider HL completely overrated.
Kinda like FarCry which went to shit when those retarded monkeys showed up. Coitus interruptus big time, man.

16. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 03:04 jdreyer

Who doesn't love frustrating jumping puzzles?

Stay a while, and listen.

15. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 03:03 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 00:19:
Not free? Bah.

They've been working on it for years. They probably deserve some $$$

14. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 02:23 Capitan

13. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 00:31 Creston

12. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 00:19 Ant

Not free? Bah.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 22:31 Nucas

why even bother with the release dates? i still remember the words "do or die" applied to the december release date when the august date slipped. maybe they felt they needed a push?  

10. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 22:03 Muscular Beaver

Oh god... I played Black Mesa right when they released the first part. It was good for the time back then, but it feels ages ago. Nowadays I wouldnt want to touch it in that style. Much less pay for it (I recently learned that they made it a commercial project and had to laugh quite a bit).  

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

9. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 21:56 headkase

I own Black Mesa on Steam. I bought it a sale or two back for cheap. I've been putting off playing it though - I bought it for the price at the time but always with the intent to not play until it was feature complete.

So, delayed or not I still have plenty else to play and I'd rather wait for something better than get something now that was rushed out the door.

8. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 17:32 Sicotic

This has now entered I will believe it when I see it category. It is pretty much irrelevant now.  

7. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 16:03 Acleacius

Great job on this remake, there's a Source based Xen mod for Black Mesa. Another that returns 3 or 4 factory levels removed by Black Mesa, so there's a complete package atm. Looking forward to the quality remake of Xen, when it's done.  
Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

6. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 15:30 RedEye9

Overon wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 15:24:
I played Black Mesa before wasn't this out in 2012? I don't understand how is this different?
You played the free "legacy" mod.

The Steam version is on a newer licensed version of the source engine and will, "will?", eventually get the Xen off-world ending.
It has been in Early Access since May 2015, so don't hold your breath.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

5. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 15:24 Overon

I played Black Mesa before wasn't this out in 2012 when it was released as a mod? I don't understand how is this different?  

4. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 15:17 El Pit

And I bet it will nevertheless be released before Feature Creep Citizen!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

3. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 14:55 jdreyer

Half Life 2 confirmed!

*ducks*

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo