Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

One Hour Star Citizen Video

A new user-created video shows off the first hour of gameplay in Star Citizen, the upcoming crowdfunded space game first announced a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (thanks DSOGaming). The clip shows the latest build of version 3.0 in 4K resolution in ultra widescreen format.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 21:12 RedEye9

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 21:01:

All that said I'm happy I went to CitizenCon this year and I even managed to win an Optane 900P, which was a major bonus.
KickStarter money well spent, what do the other 1.9 million citizens get besides ship jpegs.
/sarc (rhetorical) Holidaze make me froggie

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 21:01 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 17:53:
After gameplay systems comes content. CR promised 100 systems. There's less than one. Hell, I'd settle for 10 complete systems at this point.

Also, we've heard nothing about the single player campaign for years.
Squadron 42 is going to be demoed during the Holiday Livestream this year. What and how much they're going to show remains to be seen.

Performance is substantially better in 3.0. Depending on the server I've been getting as much as 60-80fps, though that reduces as the server continues. There's more work to come but this is the first time performance has come even close to acceptable in the persistent universe.

As for gameplay and enjoyability, that still isn't there. It's better than it was but it's a long way from being a game for the average gamer. It really comes down to how quickly they can iterate and add gameplay features. This year has been chronically slow and pace needs to pick up.

All that said I'm happy I went to CitizenCon this year and I even managed to win an Optane 900P, which was a major bonus. Progress is being made, even if it's not as quick as I'd like.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280GB / 30" Hazro HZ30Wie

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 20:12 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 14:37:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 13:21:
What's more surprising, the fact that jdreyer wanted a SC thread or that SC has users?

My dream came true!!

Also, @Tispy: so funny. Laugh2

jdreyer wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 14:21:
You know what we haven't had for a while?

A good old-fashioned Star Citizen thread!

Dammit, JD! Consider yourself virtually smacked with a virtual rolled-up newspaper...

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

21. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 20:03 Bumpy

Love the sim parts; keepin' it real is awesome.

I'll probably have a nVidia GTX1280 by the time this gets released.
Just a little longer

20. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 19:43 CJ_Parker

I don't think that SC will really be that bad IF they ever release the game. This doesn't look overly spectacular. SWBF 2 is a shitty game but in terms of visuals I would say that it's easily a tie between SWBF 2 and SC.
SC will take several more years to release. It will release after the next gen of consoles will have come out (2019/2020) and then, at the latest, it's going to start to look dated.

The 90s was a totally different time. There were years where you would have had to buy a new system twice per year (not just a new GPU but all of it) to keep up with the latest releases.
If SC were a 90s game and it would have taken this long to develop... wow, it would look like complete garbage compared to other games by now.

It's definitely true that Origin games were always among the worst offenders back then. The Wing Commanders, Strike Commander, Privateer... ouch. My 486 DX2-40 couldn't do WC3, my friend's DX2-66 barely managed but ideally you needed a brand new Pentium 60Mhz (like a $3,000+ PC since high end shit was expensive as fuck back then).

If SC ends up running like crap on modern systems it will be less an issue of FIDELITEH and more an issue of incompetent systems design coupled with extreme network lag because Roberts thought he could somehow defy the laws of physics (= latency of bits and bytes that run through a cable or, worse, fly through the air from point A to point B and back).

19. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 19:08 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 18:07:
That being said, Chris Roberts is known for this. I had to buy a new system to run WC3.

Heh, Wing Commander 3 was the first game for which I bought a dedicated graphics card. It ran like shit on my PC at the time, I didn't know anything about PC upgrades and such, so I asked around a forum what the best thing to do would be to get it to run better, and they recommended a new graphics card.

I bought a Matrox Millenium for it. Holy shit it ran so smooth after that! And that... set me on a path of graphics card upgrades that I'm sure by now has cost me 10 grand.

18. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 18:07 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 17:00:

As always this video is just fluff and flashy garbage to extort some xmas monies from the mouthbreathers who still believe they will be able to do anything like this with the promised level of MMO and all promised features enabled (I am not doubting that this will work in single player once it is optimized a little more but single player was never the question).

Video was released by a random beta tester, not Star Citizen or RSI.

I'll agree that the game is over the top in graphical fidelity. It's going to be the Crysis of its generation. And yeah, it's going to take a machine five years from now to run it smoothly with most of the detail up. Also, I imagine you'll need a pretty beefy internet connection like 100mbps or something to handle all the data.

That being said, Chris Roberts is known for this. I had to buy a new system to run WC3.

Stay a while, and listen.

17. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 17:56 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 16:07:
So 5 years and 100 million bucks later they have one hour of boring as hell gameplay to show for it. Wow. Just wow.

Give me a break man. They have nearly completed a single system, from which one of the beta players made this video. That system will probably have a couple dozen hours of gameplay, depending on how much you want to putz around.

Star Citizen has screwed up in so many ways that there's no need to just make shit up about them.

16. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 17:55 Cutter

vvenaya wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 16:23:
Haters gotta hate. Have you ever said anything nice about SC, cutter ? or about any other game for that matter...

Go play LoD then, with your buddy Derek Smart. Geez

STFU troll and go back to Kotaku or whatever pool of slime you crawled out of.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

15. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 17:53 jdreyer

NicklePop wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 15:07:
Impressive! The core engine mechanics seem to be in place.

Next up, gameplay systems!

Excited, in a year or two this will be one of the premier PC games.

After gameplay systems comes content. CR promised 100 systems. There's less than one. Hell, I'd settle for 10 complete systems at this point.

Also, we've heard nothing about the single player campaign for years.

14. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 17:00 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 14:50:
Also, not gonna lie, the flying into the planet and watching everything slowly get into detail is very, very impressive. But once he's skimming over the surface, there is a truly awful amount of pop-in. Like, Rage on a slow 5200rpm hard drive level of shitty pop-in. Ugh.

He had to fly very close to the surface before it began to look decent. It looked total crap from further out and even when he was pretty close already it was like WoW graphics at best.

It only started looking like a modern game (about on par with Frostshite) at a very low altitude but, yeah, the performance imploded.

Now imagine what will happen once all the actual gameplay systems will be added on top of this and if you try to do it with a small fleet of friends and each one of you with a multicrewed ship. Imagine on top of this how you would get into combat and things like the super-detailed damage system would need to be calculated etc.

How likely do we think that this above scenario will run on a computer in the next ten, twenty years? Right. Forget about it.
As always this video is just fluff and flashy garbage to extort some xmas monies from the mouthbreathers who still believe they will be able to do anything like this with the promised level of MMO and all promised features enabled (I am not doubting that this will work in single player once it is optimized a little more but single player was never the question).

P.S.: Check out a very similar looking planetary approach in the two year old Elite Dangerous Horizons. It's not even that far behind graphically and will be getting a visual facelift (i.e. the planets) early next year.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2017, 17:12.

13. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 16:23 vvenaya

Haters gotta hate. Have you ever said anything nice about SC, cutter ? or about any other game for that matter...

Go play LoD then, with your buddy Derek Smart. Geez

12. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 16:07 Cutter

So 5 years and 100 million bucks later they have one hour of boring as hell gameplay to show for it. Wow. Just wow.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

11. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 15:07 beaves

Sorry Chris, Privateer had better music and voice acting. Seriously, where is the fun?

Where are the dog fights and random encounters.
The npc's are walking on ice and the player looks ridiculous with all the guns on his back, how does he sit in his ship with all that on? Why must we play find the button for every action?

I'll bet, given the choice between immersion mode, or fast play, where you choose a mission and go, most people would choose the latter.

10. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 15:07 NicklePop

Impressive! The core engine mechanics seem to be in place.

Next up, gameplay systems!

Excited, in a year or two this will be one of the premier PC games.

9. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 15:02 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 13:58:
All in all, as something to show off what a PC can do, this may have no equal (eventually.) However, the whole thing seems like it'd just be a chore to play. Too much fiddling with shit, clicking buttons, too little action.
I hear ya. I was thinking of the same thing. Some people that play flight sim games will probably love this, where it takes a 2 hrs safety inspection and flight check filling out log book and calculating coordinates before you can turn on the engines type of stuff but when you have like 30mins to an hour to play the last thing I want is fiddling around with buttons and shit, just get me into the action already

Steam: SpectralMeat

8. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 14:50 Creston

Also, not gonna lie, the flying into the planet and watching everything slowly get into detail is very, very impressive. But once he's skimming over the surface, there is a truly awful amount of pop-in. Like, Rage on a slow 5200rpm hard drive level of shitty pop-in. Ugh.

And hopefully there will be planets that have more than just one set of textures. Because rocky, barren ground will get dull very fast.

7. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 14:40 jdreyer

vvenaya wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 14:27:
Horrible video, my head hurts watching it.

In that one hour of gameplay, all he did was admiring his clothes, and go to 1 planet doing again nothing.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

6. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 14:39 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 13:58:
first announced a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

Giggle Giggle Giggle

Watched the video. Some impressions:

- The camera wobble when he got out of his bunk made me nauseated. :-vomit-:
- Damn, that dude has a pretty visible dick in his space suit.
- 26 FPS in the menu! WOOT! (and the CPU is at ~30% wtf?)
- Nobody bats an eye at this guy walking by with 100lbs of advanced weaponry strapped to his back.
- Basically no idle animations for any of the stationary NPCs, so they're all just standing there gazing into the abyss. Please give them some idle animations.
- Outside of the space station looks amazing.

Chris reads Blues. Now all your requests will become scope creep.

Thanks, Creston.

All in all, as something to show off what a PC can do, this may have no equal (eventually.) However, the whole thing seems like it'd just be a chore to play. Too much fiddling with shit, clicking buttons, too little action. I'm sure some people will love that, but it's not my cup of tea. I'd get bored walking around a barren, empty space station after the second time I'd done so.

As I said a couple of years back, "getting out of bed simulator" and "putting on your helmet simulator" are going to get old really quickly.

EDIT: Goddammit Creston, stop editing the post already.

5. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 14:37 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 13:21:
What's more surprising, the fact that jdreyer wanted a SC thread or that SC has users?

My dream came true!!

Also, @Tispy: so funny. Laugh2

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo