Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project CARS 2 Demo Released

Steam now offers the release of the Windows edition of the playable demo for Project CARS 2 mentioned earlier. Here's a recap of the pertinent details about this sample of the racing game from Slightly Mad Studios:

The Official Project CARS 2 Demo was designed and created to allow players to get a taste of the racing action on offer in the full game. Experience why Project CARS 2 is one of the highest rated multi-platform racing games of the year. Jump into a Ferrari 488 GT3, Lamborghini Huracán LP610-4, and Formula Renault 3.5 and race at the laser-scanned Red Bull Ring.

Furthermore, the demo showcases the Xbox One X and PlayStation®4 Pro enhancements that will be rolled out in an imminent update, as well as the extensive virtual reality support in the PC version of Project CARS 2. The three different types of cars have been precisely chosen to offer both a glimpse at the diverse motorsport disciplines available in the full game, as well as the sublime physics and handling of the in-game vehicles. The two track variations, set in a stunning landscape, highlight the visual and handling impact of the peerless weather simulation that racers will discover in Project CARS 2. The three scenarios in the demo will test players with escalating challenges. Players will experience class-leading physics in various cars and conditions giving them a taste of what there is to be experienced in the full game.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Project CARS 2 Demo Released Nov 24, 2017, 11:40 theglaze

The problem with racing games is that EVERY gamer wants to WIN. I watch a lot of motorsports and often there are far more compelling stories than who won the race.

So developers need to inject missions/objectives including the use of scripted scenarios. And they need to add personality to each AI driver by developing a story around them. It's not that hard to do, real-life stories are abundant and they need to just copy those over.

As for the demo:

+ VR Looks fantastic, perhaps the best looking racing game I've seen. It works well with default values which adjusted quality accordingly to ensure high frame rates.
+ Weather effects are nifty (only rain in the demo) with treacherous standing water and wet rumble strips.
+ Polished menus and presentation.
+ Asking the "Engineer" to fix your car through layman's terms is smart for non-gear-heads.

- Engine noise was waaaaaay to high, I had to drop it significantly. Also, they've used positional audio to your own engine so if you turn an ear away from engine (ie looking at an apex), it deafens the engine to that ear. No other sim I play does that, and I found it disorienting and not realistic to my own experiences in loud cars/bikes.
- AI was average or worse, couldn't find settings to adjust it.
- My wheel is only providing very weak feedback, making it difficult to feel grip or when it transitions to a slide, and I'm using the Jack Spade FFB files.
- Some graphics glitches and a couple crashes.
- It seems like all other PC sims provide better handling and physics, but I don't yet have my wheel working properly.

I think this could be better than Forza Motorsport 7, but having recently raced GT Sport on a PS4 with a Thrustmaster T-GT, I think Polyphony has the upper hand right now in the simcade genre.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: . Nov 24, 2017, 10:00 SpectralMeat

Bumpy wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 07:42:
For some reason, racing sim developers think gamers don't want story, progression and career in a racing game
Well we do get some story in some racing games but they blow!!!!
Need for speed comes to mind.
I am fine without a story in the racing game. Just like I am fine without a story in a soccer or hockey game as well, but I am speaking for myself.
If I want a story in a game I'd be looking at a completely different genre all together. Stories just don't fit well in racing games imho

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: . Nov 24, 2017, 09:47 HoSpanky

Bumpy wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 07:42:
intermarer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 02:53:
Any career mode or something like that?

For some reason, racing sim developers think gamers don't want story, progression and career in a racing game.

I'm waiting on BeamNG.drive. It's early access proves it is one of, if not the best driving sim out there. The current included 3 story missions are excellent but of course leaves you wanting more.

I think the difficulty is in making a compelling story about racing that isn’t the “new driver to the racing scene, work your way to the top!” that literally every single racing game’s career mode has been. It’s more tired than Bowser kidnapping Peach. The problem is in trying to make gameplay moments that have anything to do with the story, since racing games with scripted races FUCKING SUCK.

6. Re: Project CARS 2 Demo Released Nov 24, 2017, 09:19 The Half Elf

theglaze wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 17:56:
Downloading now, only 3.4gb compared to +20gb for the Forza Motorsport demo.

Red Bull Ring is a hellova good time, and those cars could be fun.

Hopefully it’s not feature neutered and I can try the VR support

Really? Demo size? From reading the Steam reviews, the game needs a few gigs in patches.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

5. Re: . Nov 24, 2017, 07:42 Bumpy

intermarer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 02:53:

For some reason, racing sim developers think gamers don't want story, progression and career in a racing game.

I'm waiting on BeamNG.drive. It's early access proves it is one of, if not the best driving sim out there. The current included 3 story missions are excellent but of course leaves you wanting more.

4. . Nov 24, 2017, 02:53 intermarer

3. Re: Project CARS 2 Demo Released Nov 23, 2017, 20:43 theglaze

VR works, but had trouble getting my pedals to be detected.

Default FFB is very light, trying out the custom files from the pcar forums which everyone seems to recommend.

2. Re: Project CARS 2 Demo Released Nov 23, 2017, 17:56 theglaze

Downloading now, only 3.4gb compared to +20gb for the Forza Motorsport demo.

Red Bull Ring is a hellova good time, and those cars could be fun.

Hopefully it’s not feature neutered and I can try the VR support

1. Re: Project CARS 2 Demo Released Nov 23, 2017, 17:24 Cutter

Can I play an Italian race car driver like Raul Julia in The Gumball Rally?

"And now my friend, the first rule of Italian driving. Whattsa behind me is'a not important."

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo