Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier

Developer Gazillion last week confirmed plans to end Marvel Heroes, saying the comic-inspired action/RPG would end at the end of the year. Now PCGamesN has word that the game may be ending sooner than that. Their initial report included word that all of the company's employees were let go, saying the company is not issuing any benefits after creditors pulled the funding plug. They cite employee tweets confirming this, and follow-up with an update sharing an alleged internal email that supports that story, and also says that the game's last day will be tomorrow, rather than December 31st. Word from the email is: "The bank has decided not to pursue any course of action that sees Gazillion meaningfully continue into the New Year and this requires that the company terminate its workforce."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 24, 2017, 14:09 ViRGE

Orogogus wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 13:34:
Verno wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:52:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:26:
That sucks. It's one thing to be told the party's over, it's last call, get your shit together soon... But then you're sacked 5 weeks early with no severance or anything? Time to lawyer up, if there's anyone left to sue.

Yeah that's brutal, definitely worth talking to an attorney.

If they were running on credit and the bank called in the chips then I don't see who these people could sue -- Gazillion obviously has no money to give out.
Aye. Unfortunately it's a case of trying to get blood from a stone. They can't pay employees money they don't have.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 24, 2017, 02:06 Mr. Tact

I have to say that's one thing I am very thankful for, not getting screwed by my employer when they laid me off. Especially since some of my co-workers were getting screwed during the same set of layoffs. I never did figure out how they determined who to screw and who not to.

To all the staff at Gazillion, I wish the best of luck in finding a better job, soon.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 15:46 DG

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 13:04:
That sucks. It's one thing to be told the party's over, it's last call, get your shit together soon... But then you're sacked 5 weeks early with no severance or anything? Time to lawyer up, if there's anyone left to sue.

It's pointless. Employees are always last to get anything if anything is left. That's something the law should have been changed on, everywhere, long ago. The reality is you can be terminated at any time without notice and there's sweet FA you can do about it. The only time a labor lawyer will do anything is if you're an exec and you have stock, etc.
Here in UK the employees are 2nd in the queue, only secured creditors are in front of them - though this is usually a major creditor (the bank loan) with security over the major asset (property).

11. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 14:12 jdreyer

Merry Christmas!  

Stay a while, and listen.

10. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 13:38 Darks

And this is a perfect example of why in game assets and loot boxes to buy should be outlawed and banned. It creates a very bad environment for anyone that's invested in games like these.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 13:36 Spektr

I think that means Marvel is pursuing a new MMO game project. I hope everyone will remember that episode and that the champions MMO was meant to be a super hero MMO before they withdrew from the project before investing time and money into a project Marvel can terminate any time.  

8. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 13:34 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:52:

If they were running on credit and the bank called in the chips then I don't see who these people could sue -- Gazillion obviously has no money to give out.

7. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 13:04 Cutter

It's pointless. Employees are always last to get anything if anything is left. That's something the law should have been changed on, everywhere, long ago. The reality is you can be terminated at any time without notice and there's sweet FA you can do about it. The only time a labor lawyer will do anything is if you're an exec and you have stock, etc.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:53 jacobvandy

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:33:
kraken wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:29:
This is a very sad situation for those people.

Who bought micro transactions for a p2w game? I think not, they deserve the salt. But the the developers, they for sure did NOT deserve this.

I do hope nobody gets refunds though

Obviously you never played the game. Their business model was like 90% costumes and instant unlocks of playable heroes (ARPG classes), all of which could be earned for free in a reasonable amount of play time, and they ran so many events with global buffs that most people never felt the need to buy things like XP boosters. Multiple devs on different occasions basically stated that their business model was too generous based on how small the playerbase was, and that it needed to change for them to survive. Those changes took too long as they got distracted with other things, so they folded. Loads of people are getting refunds, though, especially on console.

5. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:52 Verno

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

4. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:47 PacoTaco

hey they are still hiring... free lunch and shuttles oh my.

https://www.gazillion.com/careers#careers-listing

Seriously sorry to folks reading this that got laid off, hate to see another Bay Area company get taken down, sucks that it happened before Thanksgiving. If you aren't getting paid for your OT and vacation group up and sue them, and sue Disney. That is total 100% bullshit.

3. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:33 eRe4s3r

kraken wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:29:

Who bought micro transactions for a p2w game? I think not, they deserve the salt. But the the developers, they for sure did NOT deserve this.

I do hope nobody gets refunds though

2. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:29 kraken

1. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 12:26 jacobvandy

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo