Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well

Developer Ninja Theory offers a new developer diary video for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, saying this is the final installment in a 30 video series for the game. The video includes a discussion of how sales have gone since the action/adventure was released this summer. Here's word on how they've surpassed their own expectations:

It has been 3 months since the launch of Hellblade: Senuaís Sacrifice and today we are happy to be sharing the final development diary in our 30 video series. In the diary we discuss how the Hellblade Independent AAA approach has turned from experiment into proven model, detailing key numbers from Hellbladeís launch:

• Over 75k pre-orders across PC and PS4 before launch.
  • 250K units sold in the first week at $29.99.
  • Over $13m in revenue generated in 3 months.
  • 500k units sold in 3 months, which puts the project beyond breakeven and into profit. Our prediction was to be at this point in 6 months from release.
  • Development took 3 years and with an average team size of 20.
  • Game sold as digital-only.
  • About half the sales were on PC.

Some words from Tameem Antoniades, Co-founder and Chief Creative Ninja, on the success of Hellblade:

"The escalating stakes in the AAA retail publishing model has killed off countless independent studios like us, many smaller publishers, and is now straining even the largest of publishers. This isn't survival of the fittest but a routing of the creative base upon which this industry was built.

The future isn't written and we don't believe that the writing is on the wall. AAA will always exist but we need strong alternatives as well.

Three years ago we announced our intention to find a way to do our best work outside of the AAA retail model and have openly documented the journey in our thirty development diaries.

The final step is to share our commercial model and digital sales data for the benefit of other developers. The more data we have for alternative business models, the more developers can take informed commercial and creative risks. For the benefit of our beloved medium, we'd like to encourage other developers to share their own data as well wherever possible.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us and made Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice a commercial and creative success."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 19:28 noman

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 15:30:
Anyway, itís a great game while it lasts. For another short but spectacular (better than Hellblade) game, TitanFall2 is $10 on Origin, and holy shit, itís incredible.

Titanfall 2 is incredibly good game. The gunplay/combat both in and out of titan, movement mechanics, and the set-pieces during its campaign are all awesome.

I'll pick up Hellblade from GoG.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 19:01 Zoom

Bought it on first day, didnt regret. It's a very strong contender for Game Of The Year.  

8. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 18:23 Drayth

This was my favorite game of the year. Gameplay mechanics aren't out of this world (but still fun), -everything- -else- -about- -it- is excellent, however.  

7. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 15:30 HoSpanky

I picked up the game when it launched, it is indeed 6-8 hours long with minimal reason to replay it. If you somehow miss one of the runes during the game, the ending wonít quite make sense. Donít finish out a chapter without them!

Thereís only a handful of enemy types, which is about the ONLY hint that youíre not playing a AAA game made by 200 people. The combat is alright, but I always felt the camera was too close to Senua.

Anyway, itís a great game while it lasts. For another short but spectacular (better than Hellblade) game, TitanFall2 is $10 on Origin, and holy shit, itís incredible.

6. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 14:30 Dman20

Looking to check this game out here shortly myself. Got to finish a few more before jumping on this though.  

5. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 13:05 Vio

Hellblade is the first game in a long time that made me feel like gaming had just progressed forward.  

4. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 12:41 Tipsy McStagger

Game is apparently like 6-8 hours long but a crazy visual and good story.

I'll end up playing it shortly here.

3. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 12:03 Slick

This is #1 on my list once I'm done with the AAA titles of this holiday season. I've been following it for a few years, the tech they created to do the performance capture is one-of-a-kind, almost putting James Cameron's Avatar filming technique to shame.

I just love Ninja Theory shit, them and David Cage's studio do really awesome stuff with performance capture, mostly unrivalled in the industry. Too bad the "game" part of their games isn't always incredible, although Heaven's Sword had great gameplay, they stole it from God of War

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

2. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 11:54 jacobvandy

What? It launched at $30, the quoted blurb above mentions it being that price the first week.

Anyhow, the game doesn't really interest me, but it's always cool to see indies find success.

1. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 11:43 Fion

I've been hearing so much positive buzz about this game, even though initially disinterested, that I picked this up at 25% off on GOG's black friday (week) sale, final price: $22.50.

So if anyone is interested in maybe picking this up after hearing similar buzz, that's a pretty deep discount for a game that came out mere months ago at $60.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo