Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 24, 2017, 10:35 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 01:34:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 11:59:
I keep posting this, but you can't remind people enough: Major Study Finds The US Is An Oligarchy
Since the invention of currency the rich have always had a large advantage. Just look at ancient Rome or ancient Egypt. This isn't likely to change any time soon -- certainly not in our lifetimes.

Heck even in the early US, "Barons of Industry" had major influence on government policy making. I'm not sure if "the top 1%" has more influence now then they did before, or if we just know more about it now than we used to. All we can do is keep fighting it. The alternative is giving up.
There is no alternative, it just is.
"When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organized interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the US political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favour policy change, they generally do not get it."

Thanks for the uplifting link Jdreyer

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 24, 2017, 01:34 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 11:59:
I keep posting this, but you can't remind people enough: Major Study Finds The US Is An Oligarchy
Since the invention of currency the rich have always had a large advantage. Just look at ancient Rome or ancient Egypt. This isn't likely to change any time soon -- certainly not in our lifetimes.

Heck even in the early US, "Barons of Industry" had major influence on government policy making. I'm not sure if "the top 1%" has more influence now then they did before, or if we just know more about it now than we used to. All we can do is keep fighting it. The alternative is giving up.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 23, 2017, 17:49 RedEye9

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 23:53:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 12:31:
Thank god, we don't want Canada's trash.
Don't worry. Nobody likes the sanctimonious progressive either, unless they're eating their own. Then it's just funny, so hurry up.
The lead levels in canadian water is VERY high. You need to start filtering it before making your kool-aid to prevent any more damage to your brain.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 23:53 Mashiki Amiketo

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 12:31:
Don't worry. Nobody likes the sanctimonious progressive either, unless they're eating their own. Then it's just funny, so hurry up.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 13:55 UttiniDaKilrJawa

This whole att / doj thing confuzzles me. I thought action like this would fall more to the FTC not the DoJ.  

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 12:56 Simon Says

I find myself in agreement with Cutter... And that's saying something, it really doesn't happen often!  

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 12:31 RedEye9

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 12:29:
That more than anything else is the main reason I'd never move to the US.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 12:29 Cutter

No shit it's an oligarchy. In every study about quality of life the US ranks #1...IF you make over 250K a year. Anything below that and it ranks #33 on average on the global scale. The MIC is living proof of that. Almost a trillion bucks a year wasted while everyone and everything else goes wanting. That more than anything else is the main reason I'd never move to the US. And what's worse they have the majority brainwashed that it's necessary and good.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 11:59 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 11:46:
Ajit Pai can't hear you, New York attorney general. His ears are clogged up with AT&T's checks.

Seriously, as if there was any other outcome, despite 97% opposition.

Stay a while, and listen.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2017, 11:46 Creston

Ajit Pai can't hear you, New York attorney general. His ears are clogged up with AT&T's checks.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo