Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month

Wizards of the Coast announces closed beta testing of Magic: The Gathering Arena will begin on December 4th. You can sign up here if you are interest, but those with priority access will get first crack, along with everyone who was part of the alpha. This FAQ has all the details. Here's the announcement:

Starting December 4, we will begin inviting the first wave of Magic players to our Closed Beta, including bringing back everyone who has played so far in the Alpha. Whereas the Alpha was focused on a few weekends, the Closed Beta will be up and running every day (barring maintenance, downtime, or pirates storming our servers—it's more common than you think), giving you even more opportunities to try it out.

The initial invite waves will start small. We expect only players with priority access will receive invites through December. If all goes well—and so far, everything has gone well (knock on wood and/or our code)—we hope to expand those invites at some point in January to those without priority access.

The Closed Beta will launch with Constructed matches and only Ixalan cards. We expect to have more to say about additional features in January, so keep an eye out for that announcement.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month Nov 22, 2017, 10:30 MisterBenn

I checked out one of their recent YouTube videos to see how it's shaping up. They talked about making sure the mechanics match the real game so I think that aspect will be OK. The presentation is more or less the old Duels of the Planeswalkers style, with some layout tweaks like nonlands becoming more square once they are on the battlefield. There were some new controls like manual mana tapping. When cards are tapped, they rotate about 10' clockwise and fade a bit - the comments were full of complaints about this not looking right.

I thought the original DotP games on PC were fun and great value, I bought the first few without fail. You'd get a handful of decks with quite a bit of tunability, and the AI was reasonable to play against in a lot of cases too. Once they cut off modding and the game moved towards the cash treadmill model I stopped and haven't bought in since. Inevitably this will be the same, it's going to be a full online home matching the real game isn't it? I'm guessing keeping pace with the online game is going to cost at least 95% of what Hearthstone costs... I have no interest in that as an outsider that enjoys the mechanics of the game. I'm guessing after a honeymoon period there are extremely slow rewards for playing offline... I'll keep an eye on it but I doubt I'm onboard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month Nov 22, 2017, 09:14 Shock

If they change the mechanics, they'll kill the game. Magic's been going for 25 years. It's too late now  

4. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month Nov 22, 2017, 08:35 VaranDragon

LaxerFL wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 01:02:
I hope they don't dumb down Magic to be more like Hearthstone... The thing I like most about MTG is the complexity! The depth of the synergies, the combos, the variety of decks and play styles... These are things that make Magic so great!
I like Hearthstone also but it is a quick, easy, time killing thrill. Magic is an involved, strategic, time consuming hobby. They may share a genre, but the two are not the same game and I know how popular Hearthstone is right now and that Wizard wants to get in on that money train but I hope they give in to the mob...

Lax

Prepare to be dissapointed. Tragic: the Garnering is coming....

3. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month Nov 22, 2017, 01:20 ForgedReality

Here come the fat, nerdy neckbeards.  

2. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month Nov 22, 2017, 01:02 LaxerFL

I hope they don't dumb down Magic to be more like Hearthstone... The thing I like most about MTG is the complexity! The depth of the synergies, the combos, the variety of decks and play styles... These are things that make Magic so great!
I like Hearthstone also but it is a quick, easy, time killing thrill. Magic is an involved, strategic, time consuming hobby. They may share a genre, but the two are not the same game and I know how popular Hearthstone is right now and that Wizard wants to get in on that money train but I hope they give in to the mob...

Lax

1. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Beta Next Month Nov 21, 2017, 20:09 Slick

I have such a soft spot for this game, def signed up. Although for me, MTG is the original "loot box" mechanic. Man their timing is bad  

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo