Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed

The Beamblog announces an announcement, saying Beamdog has something to announce today at 3:00 pm EST in a livestream. The developer then blows their own surprise with a tweet saying this will unveil the Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition. Further, GameInformer points the way to a gameplay trailer which shows off enhanced visuals. They also have some details on the project, including word that this is being created with input from the community, and will be backwards compatible with save games, modules, and modifications from the original 2002 version of the RPG. Here's word:

• Improved Display: Your portrait, combat bar, inventory, and other UI elements adjust in size based on your chosen resolution including 1080p and 4k.
  • Advanced Graphics Options: Pixel shaders and post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field options as preferred.
  • Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.
  • Backwards Compatibility: Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 16:05 El Pit

FloorPie wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:39:
Meh. Maybe when it goes on sale in a couple of years for $5. Beamdog's nonsense with the BG storyline stuff annoyed me. Hordes of the Underdark though is great. If I remember right clerics were OP, I played a F/C and had great fun in that expansion.

Oh, I forgot about that. Yes, I wonder how they will try to inject some modern politics into NWN... A mad president?

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 16:01 Darks

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:25:
Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:57:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:15:
El Pit wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:08:
I am looking forward to this and I think Cutter will like this, too.

Too antiquated. I'd rather see a new one. Plus the NWN editor was pretty cumbersome if you wanted to make anything really good. Why wouldn't they go with NWN2 at least?

You must be joking Cutter, that editor was very powerful, you got the same exact editor with nothing cut from it that the devs used to make the game. Which is how we made our two mods.

Its the best editor ive seen released for any game of this type,even that newer Sword Coast Legends editor was shit in comparison to NWN editor.

I didn't say it wasn't powerful, I said it was cumbersome and it was. You really needed a good coder to do anything of significance. Scripting things was not user friendly. NWO's editor is a lot more userfriendly by comparison. And SCLs wasn't nearly as powerful but it was more user friendly.

That's why I keep saying I want a new game in the style of NWN. I don't need a new NWN per se. I'd actually like to see it be completely customizable so you could go with system you prefer - D20, Gurps, etc. Avoid any licensing issues by using established properties and keeps the cost way down to develop it as well. Isomatric, 3D, turn-based, and DM modes would all be necessary. I'd like to see it as a glorified table top experience really. A good system for the community to take advantage of the ground up to provide additional content without any problems. That was another huge PITA with NWN. So many major works had all these custom dependencies you needed to download and install, and you'd end up with conflicts with other things. Maybe I'll just have to create a design doc and crowdfund it myself. If you could build that visions you'd make a metric shit ton of money off it.

Belive me ,I know all to well just how difficult that editor can be because of the need for scripting. But thats the beauty of it too. What your asking for is a limited editor that wont let you do very much in the way of scripting your own scripted events and cut scenes and creating your own custom placeables in the game or new tilesets

This was a major issue with Sword Coast Legends editor. You were confined on what you were allowed to do. They did not allow you to do anything close to what NWN tool-set allowed you to do.

So, yes pick your poison, ill take NWN Aurora editor any day of the week over a very limited tool set.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

18. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 16:01 Peter M. Smith

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 15:25:
Avoid any licensing issues by using established properties...

The fastest way to run into licensing issues is to use established properties.

17. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 15:39 FloorPie

Meh. Maybe when it goes on sale in a couple of years for $5. Beamdog's nonsense with the BG storyline stuff annoyed me. Hordes of the Underdark though is great. If I remember right clerics were OP, I played a F/C and had great fun in that expansion.  

16. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 15:25 Cutter

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:57:

Too antiquated. I'd rather see a new one. Plus the NWN editor was pretty cumbersome if you wanted to make anything really good. Why wouldn't they go with NWN2 at least?

You must be joking Cutter, that editor was very powerful, you got the same exact editor with nothing cut from it that the devs used to make the game. Which is how we made our two mods.

Its the best editor ive seen released for any game of this type,even that newer Sword Coast Legends editor was shit in comparison to NWN editor.

I didn't say it wasn't powerful, I said it was cumbersome and it was. You really needed a good coder to do anything of significance. Scripting things was not user friendly. NWO's editor is a lot more userfriendly by comparison. And SCLs wasn't nearly as powerful but it was more user friendly.

That's why I keep saying I want a new game in the style of NWN. I don't need a new NWN per se. I'd actually like to see it be completely customizable so you could go with system you prefer - D20, Gurps, etc. Avoid any licensing issues by using established properties and keeps the cost way down to develop it as well. Isomatric, 3D, turn-based, and DM modes would all be necessary. I'd like to see it as a glorified table top experience really. A good system for the community to take advantage of the ground up to provide additional content without any problems. That was another huge PITA with NWN. So many major works had all these custom dependencies you needed to download and install, and you'd end up with conflicts with other things. Maybe I'll just have to create a design doc and crowdfund it myself. If you could build that visions you'd make a metric shit ton of money off it.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

15. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 14:04 Darks

Fion wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 13:18:
I made a handful of very popular 'adventure modules' for NWN, and one for NWN2. I tried to find them a few years ago to replay them but they've effectively been absorbed into the black hole at the center of the internet.

If your mods were on Neverwinter Vault, then they are here for sure. I know the guys who started this site and they imported everything to this site.

https://neverwintervault.org/

14. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 13:49 theglaze

Enhanced graphics huh...  

13. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 13:44 J

I ran a server that used a modified version of the OC with epic content and a bunch of 'under the hood' things, including support for lesser-used classes. Good times.

But I suspect that ship has long since sailed.

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

12. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 13:18 Fion

I made a handful of very popular 'adventure modules' for NWN, and one for NWN2. I tried to find them a few years ago to replay them but they've effectively been absorbed into the black hole at the center of the internet.  

11. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 12:53 Slashman

Ah man! Smell that nostalgia from when Bioware gave a damn and made stuff I wanted to play.  

10. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 12:35 Nucas

Quinn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:38:
Always been a great fan of NWN but never played Hordes of the Underdark. As the Drizzt novels fan that I am today, I can't wait to give that expansion a shot! Doesn't that expansion bring you to Menzoberranzan?

hordes of the underdark was one of the best releases of old bioware in my opinion. it's really good; it should have been the main campaign. excellent soundtrack by jeremy soule too, some of his best work of that decade.

9. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 11:57 Darks

8. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 11:19 subx

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:36:
I'm not seeing much in the way of enhancements. Where are the graphical enhancements?

That was my reaction too, looks pretty much the same as how I remember it. They could at least replace the low res font.

They'd have to do something about the low poly count and flat textures to pique my interest.

7. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 11:15 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 11:13 sauron

Always been a great fan of NWN but never played Hordes of the Underdark. As the Drizzt novels fan that I am today, I can't wait to give that expansion a shot! Doesn't that expansion bring you to Menzoberranzan?

HotE is definitely worth your time. You could just skip the default campaign and go straight to it.

Kittens!

5. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 11:09 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:36:
All I'm seeing is a 4K res update and UI fixes. They could have at least gone in and added some newer partical effects and fixed up the look of the spells.

Come on Beamdog!!!

In their description on what to expect they do mention things like new partical effects. That said, they do just enough to make something an enhanced edition from what I've played. Probably not enough for me to continue buying their products. I don't hate their stuff, just not like it enough.

4. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 10:48 Darks

Yes, it does in some parts. But not like your thinking. just a lot of the underdark areas.

3. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 10:38 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

2. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 10:36 Darks

This is nice to see, but rather disappointing since I know this engine very well when we created the Eye of the Beholder mods for this game. I'm not seeing much in the way of enhancements. Where are the graphical enhancements?

All I'm seeing is a 4K res update and UI fixes. They could have at least gone in and added some newer partical effects and fixed up the look of the spells.

Come on Beamdog!!!

For those who are interested. http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/eye-beholder&#65279;

1. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 10:08 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo