Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists

Griefing by intentionally attacking your teammates has been a potential problem since the first team-based shooters appeared. This remains the case some 20 years later, and PCGamesN has word from Ubisoft that they may end up taking the established simple response to this by turning off friendly-fire for casual playlists in Rainbow Six Siege (missed this at the time, thanks PC Magazine via RedEye9). This came up in a discussion of player toxicity in the tactical shooter, and Ubisoft Montreal's Alexandre Remy tells them part of the solution to that may be to improve their reporting system to make it easier to identify bad seeds, but he also confirms they are considering removing the ability to shoot teammates altogether:

Remy says one of the biggest issues leading to the most toxicity is teamkilling. “We have a lot of ideas and we are thinking about how we can tackle teamkills. It depends on your place and your experience as a Rainbow Six Siege player, in fact I think it was with that I mentioned we are thinking about potentially removing friendly fire. I think that would resolve a lot of issues and for entry players I think it is a very good way of avoiding those behaviours. Starting next year, we need to start fixing toxicity.”

We asked if means friendly fire could get pulled from casual playlists soon. “It is not yet 100% decided. We are toying with that idea as a prototype, but it has some consequences, right? It is always a balance, if we decide to move forward with that idea, be sure that it is going to go to test servers first as it is such a heavy decision. Obviously it is something where we want to have feedback before we make it final. Maybe there are also aspects of friendly fire that we have not measured yet that can actually be triggered.”

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 22, 2017, 01:05 Dacron

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 19:53:
Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 19:05:
Still 50% off on uplay atm, at least in my region (Canada).

Still 50% off here, too (US). I take it he meant the next time it's on sale following a free weekend (so he can try it first).

Ah good call.

I bought the starter pack... cause I'm cheap, and I do not regret it. I had unlocked moer operators in the trial than I have now (the starter pack is almost f2p with higher unlock requirements than other more expensive versions) but with the limited (2 offense, 2 defense [4] vs 9 unlocked during trial [4 offense, 5 defense]) numbers in the starter pack I'm still usually MVP or 2nd place for my team. Looking at the additional operators (the jtf 2/navy seal year 2 guys etc..., beyond the original bunch) none seem like they offer better gameplay strategies beyond the original operators, so a damn good budget purchase. IMO.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 19:53 NewMaxx

Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 19:05:

Still 50% off here, too (US). I take it he meant the next time it's on sale following a free weekend (so he can try it first).

15. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 19:05 Dacron

Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 16:29:
Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 14:49:
NewMaxx wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 14:47:
Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:08:
I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.

I played in the beta and was mostly uninterested due to how far away it was getting from the older games. Later on, within its first year, I checked it out during a free weekend with some friends and I actually really liked it. Picked it up during a sale right after that with no hesitation. Was a good choice - I have about 240 hours in it now. It's not for everyone but I would strongly suggest checking it out over a free weekend before deciding (we just had one).

I found the same (and am an old school R6er). The beta was meh, left me uninterested. After this weekend I ended up buying it.

Good to know!

Apparently I missed the sale. I'll pick it up next time it goes on sale. I imagine something will happen for black friday.

14. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 16:29 Flatline

Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 14:49:
I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.

I played in the beta and was mostly uninterested due to how far away it was getting from the older games. Later on, within its first year, I checked it out during a free weekend with some friends and I actually really liked it. Picked it up during a sale right after that with no hesitation. Was a good choice - I have about 240 hours in it now. It's not for everyone but I would strongly suggest checking it out over a free weekend before deciding (we just had one).

I found the same (and am an old school R6er). The beta was meh, left me uninterested. After this weekend I ended up buying it.

Good to know!

Apparently I missed the sale. I'll pick it up next time it goes on sale. I imagine something will happen for black friday.

13. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 15:37 Cutter

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:29:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:24:
On moderated player-run servers this isn't an issue. Why don't they try that?

As much as I appreciate the sentiment and also miss the Quake/Counterstrike style shooter model with player run servers and mods, this is a micro-transaction based game and I doubt they want to change their complete business model at this point.

Oh you're absolutely right, which is why them even talking about it is a bad joke and precisely why I don't buy this sort of scheisse anymore.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

12. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 14:49 Dacron

11. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 14:47 NewMaxx

I played in the beta and was mostly uninterested due to how far away it was getting from the older games. Later on, within its first year, I checked it out during a free weekend with some friends and I actually really liked it. Picked it up during a sale right after that with no hesitation. Was a good choice - I have about 240 hours in it now. It's not for everyone but I would strongly suggest checking it out over a free weekend before deciding (we just had one). The freemium version is fine - one of my friends has it - but it really limits you in terms of flexibility. I love having all the operators available to me (and the base ones for a reasonable unlock price). If you're someone who "mains" then that might be a different story, also there are always the season passes.

10. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 14:24 Dacron

Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:05:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:20:
W/out friendly fire how can the griefers grief.

Stand in spawn point choke points. It's why in Left 4 Dead you could pass through your teammates.

Flashbangs, placeable shield blocking, blocking with door barricades, ruining strat with extra door barricades, ruining teamates dropped items with electric wire / placing other items / not needed reinforcements, shooting teamates items...

Shit I only played the beta / recent free weekend and I could come up with that.

9. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 12:08 Flatline

8. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 12:05 Flatline

Stand in spawn point choke points. It's why in Left 4 Dead you could pass through your teammates.

7. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:29 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:24:

As much as I appreciate the sentiment and also miss the Quake/Counterstrike style shooter model with player run servers and mods, this is a micro-transaction based game and I doubt they want to change their complete business model at this point.

6. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:24 SimplyMonk

In a game where the only way to succeed is working as a team (or your opponents actively sabotaging one another), simply not working as a team is griefing. Taking away teamkilling won't really fix anything. Best chance is to implement a meaningful reporting system and a restricted penalty playlist for repeat offenders which is just filled with their ilk. Teamkilling makes it easy to find the trouble makers.  

5. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:24 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:03 NewMaxx

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but they are very creative in finding ways to grief. I play this game more than any other so trust me, I know.

Relevant Reddit thread

3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 10:43 Darks

fuck the griefers, this is what gives games a bad taste and pushes people away from having fun.

I hope UBI does add this. its a welcome addon.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

2. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 10:20 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 10:16 NewMaxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo