Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well it seems like a month since my last birthday, which means it's been another year already. This is one of those years when it falls extremely close to Thanksgiving, though it's occasionally the day before (Thanksgiving Eve?), as I was born on the last day of November that the holiday can't hit. We'll probably go out to dinner to celebrate, and if we do, the one thing that's always certain is I won't be ordering any turkey.

Turkish Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Sprinter.
Stories: Fox News personality 'Judge' Jeanine Pirro ticketed for driving 119 mph.
Big Tobacco's anti-smoking ads begin after decade of delay.
Science: Scientist puts his dog on the editorial boards of seven predatory journals as proof of their negligence.
Media: USC The Spirit of Troy Halftime Show: "Guardians of the Galaxy." Thanks Hypothermia.
Georgia Dome Implosion Filming Fail.
Bird of Paradise up all night to get lucky.
Follow-up: Argentina missing submarine: Concern grows after two false alarms.
That ‘harmless’ radioactive cloud over Europe did come from Russia after all.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

76. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 11:49 Creston

The very first PC my father and I built together, had a 30 something MB hard drive. Then I installed Wing Commander 2, and it was full, so we upgraded to a 57! MB hard drive, and I remember saying to him "We'll never fill that."

57MB. I let out farts that take up more space than that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 09:37 Mr. Tact

Rigs wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 00:08:
I didn't even know what a hard drive was until I got my IBM PS/1 in '92. Up until then I'd been using a Tandy CoCo3, which only had 128k of memory and two 5.25" drives. When I got my P2/400 in '97, I had a 6gb hard drive and thought I'd never fill it!
Yeah, my thought process was similar in 1989 when I bought my first PC from Gateway 2000. I was getting the 33Mhz 386, which came with a 120 MB hard drive. However, there was an option to get a 200 MB hard drive and I remember thinking, "Why would anyone need that much space?"

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

74. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 09:25 RedEye9

I am late to pc's compared to most here.
I remember seeing a Maxtor 300 mb drive for $300 in the 90's thinking no one would ever need that much space.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

73. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 00:12 Ant

Rigs wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 00:08:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 18:30:
I just now saw that, there is nothing wrong with your directory listing. You do know that you can fit more games on a hdd if you subscribe to humblemonthly, most of their stuff is older and does not take up that much space. {wink}

Like you, I have hundreds of games but limited space (128gb ssd, 500tb 10k and 1tb 7.2k, none over 80% full). So I gotta be super careful and limit the number of games I install.

Heh, I showed my installed 'Games' folders, those are nothing next to my torrent download folders. Both of those 'installed' folders came to about ~120gb each - my download folders come in at around 930gb each. I'd screenshot them but it won't all fit in one picture and I have a feeling Blue would nix it anyway due to how they were obtained. The 'good' thing is that since I moved last year, I've only downloaded games on my STEAM account, nothing large has been torrented, due to my shitty Net connection and cap.

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 23:52:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 23:37:
Here's 4 TB of 7200 rpm goodness for $100.
Technology is so cool. I remember how amazing it was the first time I was able to buy 1 GB drives for $100.

I didn't even know what a hard drive was until I got my IBM PS/1 in '92. Up until then I'd been using a Tandy CoCo3, which only had 128k of memory and two 5.25" drives. When I got my P2/400 in '97, I had a 6gb hard drive and thought I'd never fill it!

I'm actually looking hard at Seagate's hybrid SSD/HD drives (SSHD). They have a 1tb SSHD for $90, which isn't bad. And NewEgg has the 1tb 850Evo SSD's for $230, which isn't bad either. A 1tb SSD? Wow!

=-Rigs-=
I get my 1st HDD (30 MB!) until my IBM PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz desktop PC. I even bought Stacker software from Egghead to double it. Hahah!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

72. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 00:08 Rigs

I just now saw that, there is nothing wrong with your directory listing. You do know that you can fit more games on a hdd if you subscribe to humblemonthly, most of their stuff is older and does not take up that much space. {wink}

Like you, I have hundreds of games but limited space (128gb ssd, 500tb 10k and 1tb 7.2k, none over 80% full). So I gotta be super careful and limit the number of games I install.

Heh, I showed my installed 'Games' folders, those are nothing next to my torrent download folders. Both of those 'installed' folders came to about ~120gb each - my download folders come in at around 930gb each. I'd screenshot them but it won't all fit in one picture and I have a feeling Blue would nix it anyway due to how they were obtained. The 'good' thing is that since I moved last year, I've only downloaded games on my STEAM account, nothing large has been torrented, due to my shitty Net connection and cap. EDIT: Plus a lot of it is going as I clean out my drives for my Win7 reinstall. And if you're curious why I have all of them? Because I could. Seriously, I had a fast cable connection and I don't watch movies, so instead of downloading a season of Game of Thrones or the hot new movie, I'd grab some games. Would I play them? Most likely not...lol. Which is why a lot of it is getting thrown out. But I've been slowly trying to get 'legit' versions on STEAM of the games I do play and like. I know many think the whole torrenting=demos is a stupid argument but in my case, that's a big reason. *shrugs* All moot now, anyway.

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 23:52:
Technology is so cool. I remember how amazing it was the first time I was able to buy 1 GB drives for $100.

I'm actually looking hard at Seagate's hybrid SSD/HD drives (SSHD). They have a 1tb SSHD for $90, which isn't bad. And NewEgg has the 1tb 850Evo SSD's for $230, which isn't bad either. A 1tb SSD? Wow!

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

71. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 23:52 Mr. Tact

70. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 23:37 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 19:57:
I suppose it's a good thing I didn't include the directory listing with that picture...

=-Rigs-=

Stay a while, and listen.

69. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 18:30 RedEye9

I suppose it's a good thing I didn't include the directory listing with that picture...

=-Rigs-=

68. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 11:03 Ant

Blue wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 08:33:
Ant wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 21:32:
I hope Blue got my e-card.

I did, thank you. I sent a reply, but from the sound of it, you didn't receive that.
You're welcome and interesting.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

67. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2017, 08:33  Blue 

Ant wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 21:32:

I did, thank you. I sent a reply, but from the sound of it, you didn't receive that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

66. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 22:22 RedEye9

Rigs wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 00:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 20:45:
I work on computers for a living, so yeah, major effing pet peave.
7 supports it but your drive requires ACHI, it's in one of those links. Trim is being forced when you run the Intel optimizer function.

I do it as a hobby, obviously, (of course, I'm the go-to when friends/fam have some kind of problem....ugh) and if I saw this kind of thing on someones system, they wouldn't hear the end of it. 'Do as I say, not as I do' and all that jazz...

I typically work with about ~2gb free at any one time and have been doing that for the last six years, at least. Wall
Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. Especially when it is so easy to fix.

Yeah, it is, to a point. It's easy to talk about it now and say you're gonna fix it, but then I get in front of it and look at it and think of all the shit I need to move around and since I haven't had much time or room in my office lately because of other RL things going on, I'd just go 'Ugh' and load up iRacing or Elite or Empyrion or something else instead...

I get it, I'm a sorry excuse for The PC Master Race. We can't all be standup citizen role models all the time, comrade...will try to do better in the future, ja?

=-Rigs-=
I almost sent your systems pic to an old boss of mine, but he has a weak heart.
I would rather work for free on a customers computer than get paid to work on a relatives.
But yeah, the full windows drive does all sorts of bad things that you might not notice. From slowing windows update installations and global warming to, and I am going out on a limb here, effing with your graphics driver install and related issues.
I understand this thing called real life and its many issues, some are more like curve-balls.

But don't start fixing anything now, because with the holidays coming up you will need gaming relief probably a lot more than a "proper" running pc.

65. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 21:32 Ant

64. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 08:46 Mr. Tact

The most interesting thing I learned in 30+ years of working in the computer industry is something I call "Ray's Realization" which is:

"The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know much."

Just having a comprehensive understanding of networking and "how the Internet works" is pretty much enough for you to realize how intensely complicated things are. You can't know it all.

63. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2017, 00:10 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 20:45:
7 supports it but your drive requires ACHI, it's in one of those links. Trim is being forced when you run the Intel optimizer function.

I do it as a hobby, obviously, (of course, I'm the go-to when friends/fam have some kind of problem....ugh) and if I saw this kind of thing on someones system, they wouldn't hear the end of it. 'Do as I say, not as I do' and all that jazz...

I typically work with about ~2gb free at any one time and have been doing that for the last six years, at least. Wall

Yeah, it is, to a point. It's easy to talk about it now and say you're gonna fix it, but then I get in front of it and look at it and think of all the shit I need to move around and since I haven't had much time or room in my office lately because of other RL things going on, I'd just go 'Ugh' and load up iRacing or Elite or Empyrion or something else instead...

I get it, I'm a sorry excuse for The PC Master Race. We can't all be standup citizen role models all the time, comrade...will try to do better in the future, ja?

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 20:45 RedEye9

Wow, did I just stumble into a pet peeve of yours? To be fair (to myself), I know this looks pretty bad on my part but I assure you it isn't really as bad as it seems. True, I let things go way too long but it's not like I didn't know what I was lazily ignoring. I just haven't had the time/patience/work space to really sit down and organize/un/re/install and optimize. This weekend is the first one in months where that isn't the case and I've been trying to get a handle on everything as quickly as possible...

Ditch the miniature SSD (you will thank me for it). Grab a samsung 850 evo bluesnews friendly amazon link, 250GB for $90. And never look back.

Funny you mention that, I just bought one for my mothers system last month, same exact drive, paid a little more than $90 but not much. She doesn't use her system a whole lot, just light email/web/pictures/genealogy, I've been considering swapping her SSD with a smaller one and using hers for mine. She really doesn't need 250gb, she's barely using 60gb now, and that's with dual-booting into Win7x64/Win10x64. Decisions, decisions...

My 40gb X-25V is going on 8 years old, when SSD's were a new thing. I paid like $140 for it then. It's served me well and continues to. I have Intel's SSD tools installed and run the optimizer once a week. Still have 90% life left. I've never had my pagefile on the SSD! It's a pain at times, especially when apps refuse to use a different drive for their temp work but I've managed. (Is that faint screaming I hear? Hmmm, very peculiar... Inquisitive )

Tips on managing a tiny ssd windows install (you can ignore some of the "extend life stuff" because ssd's are tougher now.)
These guides are good reads.
Here are some links you might find useful.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/190286/data_part_win7.html
Or in your case to a drive that has room to get it off your ssd, oh crap nvrmnd.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911-2.html
make sure trim is enabled, hibernation is disabled and page file is not on the ssd
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

I've had all of those done already, though with TRIM, I'm not sure my older SSD supports it or Win7 supports it with my particular drive or something like that, I know there was something going on to that effect when I was installing Win7 again but I can't remember the exact issue ATM.

Drives die when you work them too hard. Full fragmented drives are ALWAYS working too hard. I doubt W10 was the cause of the failure but I would not trust those poor drives as far as I could throw them, ya done wore em out.
Ignore what I said earlier about defragging your drives, full drives cannot be defragged because there is not enough free space.

Win10 wasn't the cause, the drive was a bit old but it didn't help, either. Win10 tends to be quite intensive on older mechanical drives, I've noticed. Why, I have no clue. Neither of my 2tb drives are in rough shape, I keep an eye on them with CrystalDisk. There haven't been any reallocated or unrecoverable sectors and I try to keep them well ventilated with temps below 45°C at all times.

I am now going to go scrub my brain with a wire brush while I sit in a hot shower with tears running down my face muttering to myself.

Oh, come now, RedEye, no hardware was harmed in the making of this post...yet. I'll get them back to healthy working order soon enough. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't include the directory listing with that picture...

=-Rigs-=

61. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 19:57 Rigs

Wow, did I just stumble into a pet peeve of yours? To be fair (to myself), I know this looks pretty bad on my part but I assure you it isn't really as bad as it seems. True, I let things go way too long but it's not like I didn't know what I was lazily ignoring. I just haven't had the time/patience/work space to really sit down and organize/un/re/install and optimize. This weekend is the first one in months where that isn't the case and I've been trying to get a handle on everything as quickly as possible...

Ditch the miniature SSD (you will thank me for it). Grab a samsung 850 evo bluesnews friendly amazon link, 250GB for $90. And never look back.

Funny you mention that, I just bought one for my mothers system last month, same exact drive, paid a little more than $90 but not much. She doesn't use her system a whole lot, just light email/web/pictures/genealogy, I've been considering swapping her SSD with a smaller one and using hers for mine. She really doesn't need 250gb, she's barely using 60gb now, and that's with dual-booting into Win7x64/Win10x64. Decisions, decisions...

My 40gb X-25V is going on 8 years old, when SSD's were a new thing. I paid like $140 for it then. It's served me well and continues to. I have Intel's SSD tools installed and run the optimizer once a week. Still have 90% life left. I've never had my pagefile on the SSD! I typically work with about ~2gb free at any one time and have been doing that for the last six years, at least. It's a pain at times, especially when apps refuse to use a different drive for their temp work but I've managed. (Is that faint screaming I hear? Hmmm, very peculiar... Inquisitive )

Tips on managing a tiny ssd windows install (you can ignore some of the "extend life stuff" because ssd's are tougher now.)
Or in your case to a drive that has room to get it off your ssd, oh crap nvrmnd.
make sure trim is enabled, hibernation is disabled and page file is not on the ssd
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

I've had all of those done already, though with TRIM, I'm not sure my older SSD supports it or Win7 supports it with my particular drive or something like that, I know there was something going on to that effect when I was installing Win7 again but I can't remember the exact issue ATM.

Drives die when you work them too hard. Full fragmented drives are ALWAYS working too hard. I doubt W10 was the cause of the failure but I would not trust those poor drives as far as I could throw them, ya done wore em out.
Ignore what I said earlier about defragging your drives, full drives cannot be defragged because there is not enough free space.

Win10 wasn't the cause, the drive was a bit old but it didn't help, either. Win10 tends to be quite intensive on older mechanical drives, I've noticed. Why, I have no clue. Neither of my 2tb drives are in rough shape, I keep an eye on them with CrystalDisk. There haven't been any reallocated or unrecoverable sectors and I try to keep them well ventilated with temps below 45°C at all times.

I am now going to go scrub my brain with a wire brush while I sit in a hot shower with tears running down my face muttering to myself.

Oh, come now, RedEye, no hardware was harmed in the making of this post...yet. I'll get them back to healthy working order soon enough. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't include the directory listing with that picture...

=-Rigs-=

60. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 13:56 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 13:37:
No, of course not.
If you have a teeny weeny SSD you just want to get everything off of it that you can. Plus some of the things mentioned in those articles were written more to protect the limited writes of some older ssd's.
Assuming that most gamers have 8-16+ gigs of ram (and more than one drive), a page file goes unused and you could even turn it off, YMMV.
Okay, cool. Good to know I didn't miss anything, I should be good with my 1 TB SSD and 32G of RAM.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 13:37 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 12:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 11:19:
Hadn't heard the "don't put the page file on the ssd" comment previously. So, is this saying a PC with a single SSD and no other drives is a bad idea?
No, of course not.
If you have a teeny weeny SSD you just want to get everything off of it that you can. Plus some of the things mentioned in those articles were written more to protect the limited writes of some older ssd's.
Assuming that most gamers have 8-16+ gigs of ram (and more than one drive), a page file goes unused and you could even turn it off, YMMV.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 12:13 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 11:19:
Hadn't heard the "don't put the page file on the ssd" comment previously. So, is this saying a PC with a single SSD and no other drives is a bad idea? Sure seems like lots of PCs with configurations like that are being sold, but then that doesn't mean much does it. If it is a bad idea, it would just generate more ssd sales for them...

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 11:19 RedEye9

Rigs wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 19:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 16:34:
Odd, your hdd must be over 85% full (that's way too full, hdd's need free space to work properly)? Just leave it on until it's finished and defrag every quarter and you won't run into that problem again.
Good luck.

Yeah, uh, they're a tad full. I've recently found a 325gb drive that I'm gonna offload some of the mess to and then maybe defrag and reinstall Win7...maybe Win10? Haven't decided. The last time I installed Windows10, the hard drive it was on died...like not even a week later. Who knows. *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=
Wall2 OH MY FUCKING gOD ! ! ! Uhoh (for those sensitive buttercups OMFG!!!) Nono Amazed I will never be able to un-see Faint that, Bad Rigs bad bad bad Rigs Anxious
Pokestick If I lived near you I would pull your computer card {winkey-smiley-face} Outtahere

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2017, 11:32.

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo