Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours

A thread on reddit discusses the latest changes to progression in Star Wars Battlefront II, which has been the subject of quite a bit of controversy over a grind-heavy design and concerns about pay-to-win priorities (thanks GameWatcher). According to the thread, the latest adjustments make it possible to unlock all the characters in the Star Wars action sequel in about 24 hours of play, though there are also warnings that doing so would not be the best use of one's credits, as it will make it harder to level up if you choose to buy nothing but characters.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 23:02 Slick

Oh dip, there are new SP campaign missions coming with the first season content too, looks to be an episodic release schedule. I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I've heard it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, so it's good to know that they'll actually continue it.  

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 22:51 Slick

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/the-last-jedi-season-is-coming

Shows the first month of events and new content rolling out, so they're definitely focused on things other than the Star Cards.

I'm curious as to what the weekend events will be, hopefully something beyond "play this mode and get more credits", but even that would be something.

There's a mechanic that they seem to have ripped directly from Destiny 2, where you pledge yourself to one side (one of 3 sides in D2) and whichever faction globally gets the most points or whatever in a week, all people who allied with that faction get some loot.

Kinda interesting, not groundbreaking. Finn and Phasma confirmed though, and 2 new maps coming in 3 weeks, a new StarFighter hero too.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

39. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 20:01 Creston

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:45:
Hmm... howabout a 2-3 map campaign like in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? So your points accrue across 2-3 maps. I think that being able to bank points indefinitely will cause issues. I could just bank 100,000 points then spawn as 15 Mauls in a row to fuck with people. Would be pretty funny tho...

Yeah in my mind I actually thought your BP would stash until you quit playing, but for some reason I never typed that out. Infinite points would be too OP, but on the flipside, if you bank 100K points, you've basically been playing a boring grunt for 20 matches, so if that's what someone enjoys, I'd say go for it.

(Edit: Thinking about it, there's a limit on # of heroes in any given match, isn't there? So infinite wouldn't work, but letting it ride for a few matches would.)

Actually another solution would be just as different mode with 3x rewards, or like one week per month everyone gets 3x rewards... ionno. Maul is fucking garbage btw, can't block. I'm starting to really like Rey because she has a reliable wallhack ability, and a block, so you can actually stay alive for more than 30 seconds.

Yeah all those would work too. EA is so focused on their shitty star cards and how to squeeze every dime out of players that nobody seemed to give much thought to the actual fun of a single round.

As for the heroes, I only ever got to buy the rocket robot. He was okay, I killed 2 people with him, and then the round ended and so did my robot. It's a less than thrilling experience.

38. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 19:18 Dacron

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:30:
Buzzwords. Do you even know what marketing is, or mid-level management?
This was from the guy claiming to be a bartender who didn't know what serving a drink up meant, so I'm guessing no. You just use buzzwords to justify what you believe.

Pretty sure he said he owned that bar as well, so naturally he "marketed" and "businessed" the hell out of it.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

37. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 18:17 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 18:00:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:55:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:39:

I think a very easy fix would be to just let BP ride from match to match. That way everyone will get to play as heroes, and there will be more of them in matches which is more interesting anyways.

That's actually a genius fix.

So I can play with or against a party of 6 people who have just banked a ton of BP for the last week, to just hog all the heroes in a server for a couple hours? No, it would be terrible.

Like I said, the system in ET:QW was a good compromise, your "BP" accrues throughout a 2-3 map campaign, and is lost when exiting the server or the campaign ends.

You could max them out to prevent people from hogging. Also, anyone that got to spend their points during a match on a hero could have them zeroed out in the next match. The point is to give less skilled players a chance to hit the good stuff every now and then.

Stay a while, and listen.

36. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 18:03 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:28:

And they're bought in. Again, this is their bonus. If this thing becomes a cash cow, they make large bonuses. They're heavily incentivized to find ways to incorporate this and to like it. Largely, when someone's salary depends on liking something, they find ways to find it reasonable.

I thought bonuses were tied to high metacritic ratings...

35. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 18:00 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:55:

I think a very easy fix would be to just let BP ride from match to match. That way everyone will get to play as heroes, and there will be more of them in matches which is more interesting anyways.

So I can play with or against a party of 6 people who have just banked a ton of BP for the last week, to just hog all the heroes in a server for a couple hours? No, it would be terrible.

Like I said, the system in ET:QW was a good compromise, your "BP" accrues throughout a 2-3 map campaign, and is lost when exiting the server or the campaign ends.

34. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:55 jdreyer

33. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:34 Slick

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:23:
Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:16:
Hmm, it's not really a creative idea though, it's a bean-counter idea.

And I doubt most texture artists, modelers, sound designers, level designers etc. etc. etc. would even know that their work was going to be trampled upon until the closing months before launch, there wouldn't be any reason for them to know. It would probably only hurt morale.

Exactly. It's how the mid-level mangement justifies their drawing a salary.

Bill from Accounting: How can we make more on these games?
Dave from Marketing: Monetize the shit out of these mofos!
Bill from Accounting: Won't that piss off most of the playerbase?
Dave from Marketing: Fuck those sheep! They'll eat our shit out of a bowl and call it Ice Cream if it's got Star Wars on it!
Bill from Accounting: Yeah, I dunno about that man.

Sure, I just don't consider marketers and accountants to be "leads at EA" I consider the DICE producers to be leads. The rest of them are just bean counters.

32. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:30 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 17:23:

And I doubt most texture artists, modelers, sound designers, level designers etc. etc. etc. would even know that their work was going to be trampled upon until the closing months before launch, there wouldn't be any reason for them to know. It would probably only hurt morale.

Dave from Marketing: Fuck those sheep! They'll eat our shit out of a bowl and call it Ice Cream if it's got Star Wars on it!

Buzzwords. Do you even know what marketing is, or mid-level management?
This was from the guy claiming to be a bartender who didn't know what serving a drink up meant, so I'm guessing no. You just use buzzwords to justify what you believe.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:28 Beamer

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:54:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:45:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 13:26:
I feel very sorry for the developers who worked on the game. Can you imagine the countless hours they put in only to deal with this? The decision to implement aggressive micro-transaction likely wasn't theirs. They just did as they were told.

Right, this is it exactly. I'm sure the devs did not want to build this shit out. They know it makes the game worse.

It also gives them a higher bonus.
The leads at EA are fully bought in on this and the ones coming up with the creative ideas.

The lower level ones, maybe, but the decisions around this are still being made by the lead devs. Likely with some others involved, but it's the lead devs doing the implementation.

And they're bought in. Again, this is their bonus. If this thing becomes a cash cow, they make large bonuses. They're heavily incentivized to find ways to incorporate this and to like it. Largely, when someone's salary depends on liking something, they find ways to find it reasonable.

-------------

30. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:25 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:17:
No amount of adjustments to their lootcrate system can make up for the fact that they made a shallow game that won't hold peoples attention for more than a week or two.

lots of reddit posts about being bored of the game already. By the time they get around to discounting the game in a few weeks multiplayer will be a "waiting for player to join" simulator.

"How can they be bored? They've still got another 50 hours of unlocks left!"

29. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:24 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:10:
Also, "I won't let my friends buy it either" is quite preachey. I generally don't tell my friends what they're allowed to buy. Adults can generally make up their own minds on the big issues of the day, you know, like what video games to buy.

"Friends don't let friends buy drunk."

28. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:23 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

27. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 17:16 Slick

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:54:
I feel very sorry for the developers who worked on the game. Can you imagine the countless hours they put in only to deal with this? The decision to implement aggressive micro-transaction likely wasn't theirs. They just did as they were told.

Right, this is it exactly. I'm sure the devs did not want to build this shit out. They know it makes the game worse.

The leads at EA are fully bought in on this and the ones coming up with the creative ideas.

26. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 16:42 Osc8r

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:17:
No amount of adjustments to their lootcrate system can make up for the fact that they made a shallow game that won't hold peoples attention for more than a week or two.

lots of reddit posts about being bored of the game already. By the time they get around to discounting the game in a few weeks multiplayer will be a "waiting for player to join" simulator.

Yep, graphics are awesome, combat feels quite good - but the time to kill is out of whack and the game is just shallow and super repetitive.

Maybe i'm just over scoreboard based FPS games...the last one that held my attention for a decent period of time was battlefield 4. I think i put a whole 5 hours into battlefield 1.

Not sure if battle royale games have ruined it for me or whether recent fps's just aren't my cup of tea.

25. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 16:00 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:27:

Where are you seeing an 88 user score?
I'd also like to know where i got that number so i went looking through my history.
DOH, I was off by 12 years Bucktooth http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-battlefront-ii-2005
Metacritic posts user scores as integer and fractional(displayed with decimal), I multiply the user score by 10 so it matches the Critic's and Metascore whole integer (displayed w/out decimal).

So the 2017 game's 0.9 becomes 9 and if you look at the user numbers, 32 are postive with 321 in the negative, approximately 10% are positive.

Trusted user reviews are not to be had at metacritic/steam/nameyoursite when the troll brigade all too often starts giving zero scores. shame

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

24. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 15:54 Beamer

-------------

23. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 15:45 jdreyer

22. Re: Unlock All Star Wars Battlefront II Characters in 24 Hours Nov 20, 2017, 15:45 Slick

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:29:
I think the biggest change is the earning heroes mechanic in a Galactic Assault match. If you're not first out of the gate or have a few good killstreaks, you're not going to get a hero that match. And even if you do get one they're incredibly brittle, not at all like in the last game. It kind of makes your progress feel semi-wasted to spawn as Maul and get 2 kills then just get smoked by 3 guys with blasters.

Yeah, that was my main concern in the beta. You have to be pretty darn good to get to play a top tier hero, because the 5000 BP is a pretty significant chunk to get. The majority of players will never get to that, so they instead get to spawn as fodder for the few good players who get to exterminate the fodder with Maul etc.

Hmm... howabout a 2-3 map campaign like in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? So your points accrue across 2-3 maps. I think that being able to bank points indefinitely will cause issues. I could just bank 100,000 points then spawn as 15 Mauls in a row to fuck with people. Would be pretty funny tho...

Actually another solution would be just as different mode with 3x rewards, or like one week per month everyone gets 3x rewards... ionno. Maul is fucking garbage btw, can't block. I'm starting to really like Rey because she has a reliable wallhack ability, and a block, so you can actually stay alive for more than 30 seconds.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo