Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Hardware Reviews

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 20, 2017, 19:58 Hoop

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 18:34:
Good to know you're getting real world results. Thanks. I'll be building a new system in the next year or so, and need to keep this in mind.

Optane ssd drives are appearing the review listed on TweakTown here shows they kick butt, but are very expensive.
Intel Optane dimms are due third quarter next year, a good article here https://goo.gl/YnCeAE it's looking like a game changer over ddr4.

All I can attest to is a $77.00 usd investment in getting to experience an aspect of 3d xpoint delivery & it is incredible, when the whole system becomes affordable to the enthusiast these rarely talked about bottle necks will vanish & the full potential of cpu & gpu will be realised.

Um .. Behind you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 20, 2017, 18:34 jdreyer

Hoop wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 15:44:
So a week has passed with my 32gb optane memory card adding cache & boosting speeds to my hard drive, the results are stunning.
Any bottle neck that lay between the ram & gpu is now cleaned up, the most notable is Arma3 all textures are there all the time.
No texture load popping in or out, no catching on scope zooming over a long distance, no slow down with large battles of AI enemy, all at much higher display settings. I had heard Arma3 is Cpu intensive but I was also putting it down to the the 1070 & the fact it's an ambitious Arma game.
All my games now live on the hard drive, I had slow loading origin games on my ssd boot drive but they suffered as it filled up. They load & play as fast & faster on the hard drive now, keep in mind you may get a slower first load if you have not played the game in a while as it is only 32 gb. This is not a problem purely because of the in game performance not really talked about in reviews which fixate on frames per second & not pure through put, run the game 24 hours later & boom a faster load than my m.2 ssd.
I game at 1920x1080 on a 27 inch lg 75 hz monitor & set vsync in game.

Good to know you're getting real world results. Thanks. I'll be building a new system in the next year or so, and need to keep this in mind.

Stay a while, and listen.

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 20, 2017, 15:44 Hoop

So a week has passed with my 32gb optane memory card adding cache & boosting speeds to my hard drive, the results are stunning.
Any bottle neck that lay between the ram & gpu is now cleaned up, the most notable is Arma3 all textures are there all the time.
No texture load popping in or out, no catching on scope zooming over a long distance, no slow down with large battles of AI enemy, all at much higher display settings. I had heard Arma3 is Cpu intensive but I was also putting it down to the the 1070 & the fact it's an ambitious Arma game.
All my games now live on the hard drive, I had slow loading origin games on my ssd boot drive but they suffered as it filled up. They load & play as fast & faster on the hard drive now, keep in mind you may get a slower first load if you have not played the game in a while as it is only 32 gb. This is not a problem purely because of the in game performance not really talked about in reviews which fixate on frames per second & not pure through put, run the game 24 hours later & boom a faster load than my m.2 ssd.
I game at 1920x1080 on a 27 inch lg 75 hz monitor & set vsync in game.

Um .. Behind you...

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo