Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Will EA's Mishandling of Star Wars Battlefront 2 Damage its Disney Deal? - GameRevolution.
"It's impossible to say whether or not EA's underwhelming and controversial run with the Star Wars video game license will harm its multi-year contract with Disney. " That was easy.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 10:00 Creston

If Disney wants to get sued, then sure, they'll take the license away from EA.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 06:52 Red886

Disney ain't exactly a good guy. They should had kept to family entertainment, rather than trying to dominate everything.

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 04:31 eRe4s3r

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 03:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 02:22:
EA ruined a perfectly good niche game that could have become a regular earner, instead they brought down the ENTIRE deadspace IP. And no doubt the managers at EA got fat checks for that.

None of these companies want solid earners anymore, same with movie studios. They want huge hits or nothing. Why make 10 million back from a 5 million budget when you can make 1 billion back from a 200 million budget? Right or wrong we're stuck with them having this mindset.

At least for the big publishers that seems to be the case indeed, I doubt even a big failure would teach them otherwise in the current situation. And all we get is the same games with different skins. But I guess for the new growing up audiences that's great... for us who played the originals of a series that's horrible ;/

12. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 03:29 StingingVelvet

EA ruined a perfectly good niche game that could have become a regular earner, instead they brought down the ENTIRE deadspace IP. And no doubt the managers at EA got fat checks for that.

None of these companies want solid earners anymore, same with movie studios. They want huge hits or nothing. Why make 10 million back from a 5 million budget when you can make 1 billion back from a 200 million budget? Right or wrong we're stuck with them having this mindset.

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 02:29 Slick

That EA canned Viscerals Solo Star-Wars game (and killed Visceral in the process, not to mention what EA forced down our throats with the mess that was dead space 3..) after 4 years of development tells you everything ye need to know about EA.

I don't know, when a AAA game gets a trilogy it's not the end of the world for it to be killed off. I don't think we need more recurring franchises and endless sequels. The studio did good work and should have been given a chance to make a new IP. Bungie moved on from Halo. Bioware Edmonton moved on from Mass Effect. I'm fine with that in principle. The world needs less sequels.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

10. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 02:27 Slick

There is some talk on the reddit that it was actually Disney that encouraged the initial change to this MTX format. Not that EA probably had any objections. It's just interesting how we'll probably never know which bean counter working at what mega corp called for it, but they fucked up pretty hard.

Can't wait for the MP credit reward to get boosted, grind is slowing down a lot, even though I honestly don't have much I really care to unlock. for 300 star cards, I've found maybe 15 that I think are useful for any classes/heroes I play.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2017, 02:22 eRe4s3r

That EA canned Viscerals Solo Star-Wars game (and killed Visceral in the process, not to mention what EA forced down our throats with the mess that was dead space 3..) after 4 years of development tells you everything ye need to know about EA.

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 19:40 CJ_Parker

I have read on some news sites that Disney were actually the ones who convinced EA to push loot boxes for gameplay instead of just cosmetics. Unfortunately none of those articles had an actual direct source but just referred to "insiders" so it might be an unsubstantiated claim.

I would not rule it out though since EA's standard MO is still season/premium passes (see Battlefield 1). Disney being behind a loot box or microtransaction driven system sounds plausible.
In any case, I am absolutely convinced that Disney was at least as happy as EA to try to push this crap on gamers.
The only reason it was removed at Disney's request was that they did not want any negative press to go along with Episode VIII.
Watch loot boxes make a glorious return a month or two after Episode VIII's launch.

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 19:07 Cutter

DangerDog wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 15:07:
I don't buy for one second that Disney white knighted for gamers, they were just caught off guard by the negative Star Wars fan reaction and put them in panic mode because they have tickets to their next movie to sell and action figures on shelves that need to move.

Exactly. Disney is zero different from EA in money being their number one priority. The only difference between the two of them is that Disney actually cares about their reputation and public perception and don't want anything done to taint it...even going so far as doing a lot of illegal shit to protect it.

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 18:15 Prez

Will EA's Mishandling of Star Wars Battlefront 2 Damage its Disney Deal?

God I hope so. I hope it decimates it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 15:29 RedEye9

DangerDog wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 15:07:
I don't buy for one second that Disney white knighted for gamers, they were just caught off guard by the negative Star Wars fan reaction and put them in panic mode because they have tickets to their next movie to sell and action figures on shelves that need to move.

Yep, that's the most likely scenario.
The adage "When in doubt follow the money" applies to both EA & Disney.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 15:07 DangerDog

3. No subject Nov 19, 2017, 14:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Short answer: Probably. Long answer: Yes but, only if the call between EA and Disney is leaked.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 14:02 jacobvandy

Lmao, thanks for the tl;dr, Blue!  

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2017, 13:49 Rhett

Disney was probably quite happy until people caught on.

Hoping for some Lando/Darth Vader quoting here soon though. "This deal is getting worse all the time!"

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo