Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Overwatch Free Weekend Underway

The promised free weekend for Overwatch is now underway, offering the chance to sample the multiplayer shooter and discover whether you're a Hanzo main or a Genji main. To go along with the free weekend, Blizzard announces a Black Friday sale, making the game 50% off through November 27th. Their announcement from last week has all the details:

Attention, recruits! If you haven't already had the opportunity to suit up and save the world as one of the heroes of Overwatch, now's your chance.

From November 17–20, we're calling on all prospective agents: assemble your team and dive in during the Overwatch Free Weekend on PC, PlayStation 4, or Xbox One!

For this free weekend, we're making Overwatch's full roster of 26 heroes and 16 maps available for play in a variety of modes, including Quick Play, Custom Games, and the Arcade. Players will also have the ability to level up, earn Loot Boxes, and unlock a variety of different customization options.

Plus, if you decide to purchase Overwatch after test driving the game, you'll get to keep any progress that you made during the weekend—just be sure to use the same Blizzard, Sony Entertainment, or Xbox Live account that you played on.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 19, 2017, 11:04 Suppa7

Yifes wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 11:37:
Speaking as someone who's been playing FPSes since the original Wolfenstein came out, you are objectively wrong.

No it's that you don't see reality as it is. Overwatch 1) Has no real level editor and 2) no dedicated servers you control.

Objectively inferior to openly modded games in the 90's. You have a very poor memory or were never a heavy multiplayer gamer during the kali/kahn days. If you don't even know what kali/kahn is you're probably a casual gamer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 19, 2017, 10:13 theglaze

opie wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 14:00:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 07:48:
Still boring as fuck really, overwatch is just a really oversimplified multiplayer shooter that anyone who is old has played before and played better.

It really exists only because it was released by blizzard and unto the cult of bliz fans. The game is just very boring over time. It just can't hold a candle to past fps games esp if you grew up on them in the 90's.

Overwatch is just like modern blizzard - all flash, no substance.

Speaking as someone who's been playing FPSes since the original Wolfenstein came out, you are objectively wrong. Name one FPS from the 90s that had melee tanks with AOE shields, pudge hooks, time rewinds, etc. I asked you this before but you just flat out ignored it because mechanics like this simply didn't exist back in the day.

It's fine if you don't like the game, but at this point your ignorant ramblings are just pathetic.

Dude, have you forgotten all the quake mods? TF had classes and game play style. runes had CRAZY powers. no, it wasn't exactly like overwatch, but they set ALL this up. If I remember correctly, there was even a top down mod for quake like current MOBAs.

So why knock Blizzard who took some of those influences, added their own ideas for gameplay and powers, built a whole universe with backstories, comics, and animated shorts which tie into all art and atmospheric design choices within the game?

If you don’t dig it, that’s fine. But it certainly is different enough from any of its predecessors with so much more polish that it should be considered a unique franchise.

7. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 18, 2017, 14:00 opie

Still boring as fuck really, overwatch is just a really oversimplified multiplayer shooter that anyone who is old has played before and played better.

It really exists only because it was released by blizzard and unto the cult of bliz fans. The game is just very boring over time. It just can't hold a candle to past fps games esp if you grew up on them in the 90's.

Speaking as someone who's been playing FPSes since the original Wolfenstein came out, you are objectively wrong. Name one FPS from the 90s that had melee tanks with AOE shields, pudge hooks, time rewinds, etc. I asked you this before but you just flat out ignored it because mechanics like this simply didn't exist back in the day.

It's fine if you don't like the game, but at this point your ignorant ramblings are just pathetic.

Dude, have you forgotten all the quake mods? TF had classes and game play style. runes had CRAZY powers. no, it wasn't exactly like overwatch, but they set ALL this up. If I remember correctly, there was even a top down mod for quake like current MOBAs.

6. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 18, 2017, 11:37 Yifes

5. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 18, 2017, 10:51 theglaze

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 05:12:
I haven't played in ages and feel no urge to. Just wondering is it still going strong?

I disagree! Today’s shooters come with waaaay more salt!

My favourite mode is Mystery Heroes because it can’t really be trolled, and I’d rather lose to a random team composition than in a quickplay/competitive match that has smurfs, non-team players, or those that refuse to change their hero selection to counter the other team.

4. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 18, 2017, 07:48 Suppa7

I haven't played in ages and feel no urge to. Just wondering is it still going strong?

3. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 18, 2017, 07:01 MattyC

I haven't played any since the Halloween event ended, but it was pretty packed then.

https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/

2. Again? Nov 18, 2017, 05:57 Ant

Blizzard really want new players!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

1. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 18, 2017, 05:12 VaranDragon

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo