Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

SpellForce 3 Free Weekend

SpellForce 3 is also playable for free this weekend, making it one of (at least) five commercial games running such promotions (the others are Overwatch, as noted above, as well as Rainbow Six Siege Endless Space 2, and Hyper Universe). This is available for Windows on Steam, where the upcoming strategy/RPG is also on sale for 10% off. Here's a trailer and here's the announcement, which includes details about a tournament being held during the event:

The upcoming RTS/RPG hybrid SpellForce 3 will be playable for free on Steam from 10 AM PST November 17th, until 10 AM PST November 20th.

Players can play all three factions of the game in multiplayer matches for up to six players, or try the co-op mode. Also, one single-player mission is playable alone or with a co-op partner, which takes place before the events in the full game’s campaign.

Join The Tournament
During the free trial period, a SpellForce 3 tournament will be taking place with the chance to win a signed version of the limited Collector’s Edition or a Steam key of the game. You can earn points by playing (and winning) 1vs1 multiplayer matches – the players with the highest scores will win. You can find all the details on SpellForce 3’s official Facebook page.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 19, 2017, 17:45 HorrorScope

It is pretty much Spellforce 1 and 2. Somewhat intriguing, but overly complicated controls and buggy. True successor in every way. They did take out the 3rd Person mode.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 18, 2017, 15:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played a few skirmish matches vs AI... this game will be dangerous for me. I literally spent about 5 hours just building my bases up, slowly turtling + expanding across the map, taking over enemy towns and killing their heroes in small battles.

I'll try the campaign mission later, but I'm leaning towards buying this fairly soon, maybe even with just the 10% discount they are offering now.

The next question becomes, GoG or Steam? I'm thinking GoG, I have zero desire to play this multiplayer, so Steam's backend won't matter much.

No titans, and I am assuming we're missing flying units, etc. that'll come later in the full release. I'd also rather have the classic Spellforce style, all the powers you have on each hero available, without the 3 powers per 'page' (with a button to switch pages) for all heroes at once. I don't want to turn off auras, etc. but sometimes you need to heal or shield somebody. The way the powers are setup now, I'd focus on 3 powers and never switch basically, at least in skirmish.

The rain and cloud cover were a little much, as far as obscuring units a little too much in my opinion. It looked sweet, but made distinguishing units in combat that much more difficult.

Map design is great it seems, and looks amazing. Towers are strong but killable, about where I want them to be for turtle-happy people.

Mage heroes utterly demolish regular units, Archer hero can take out enemy heroes, tank hero auras and overall survivability seem good. Healer hero seemed required for humans, if you want to not waste cash on units at least.

I would love the ability to move peasants from one outpost/base to another...their semi-autonomous nature got on my nerves a bit. You can issue build orders, or tell them to staff a building, but you can't migrate ones in the resource depleted part of the map to the front lines, as far as I can tell.

Skirmish seems to be capped at 3 heroes, at least in this beta... I was looking forward to having 9 heroes at once like Battle for Middle Earth, even if it takes up most of your unit cap. Oh well, there is a button for more heroes in the skirmish setup, but it didn't seem to function yet.

Hopefully the campaign is awesome, the mechanics of the game seem to all be there.

7. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 18, 2017, 00:52 HorrorScope

LOL right at the start who do we have...

The Voice of the Thief and the Voice of the Witcher talking to one another. Garret and Geralt. A little up the path, I swear the wizards voice is the narrator in DOS2.

Has a different feel from the other spell forces so far. Gfx are washed out with no contrast/bright control. I noticed you can't go near 1rst person and drive like you could in the originals. Mostly minor stuff, will put more time in on Sat to see if it is any good.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2017, 12:37.

6. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 22:03 Cutter

Well it looks great and I really like what I see so far but it's crashing like a motherfucker on my PC. Screen goes black and everything locks up forcing a hard reset. I only see this when games are unomptized for AMD systems. I have 2 dozen other games on my desktop atm and none of them do this. Hope they'll address this because I'd really like to check this game out in more detail.  

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

5. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 21:23 HorrorScope

What a smart idea.  

4. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 20:40 Cutter

Hells yeah I'll check it out too! It's only a 3.4GB demo so that's quick enough.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

3. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 19:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 19:12:
They must feel pretty confident if they're going with a free weekend a couple weeks before the retail release... right?

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps they have polished this one single player demo mission to perfection while the rest is complete garbage and are hoping that people will fall for the free demo trick Wink .

You can not be careful enough these days. I will wait for a GOTY and sales. RPG/RTS hybrid is not my favorite genre anyway.

Well, I thought Spellforce 2 was awesome, I played the hell out of that game. I'm hoping they don't let me down, and Spellforce 3 turns out great. The videos so far certainly look impressive.

I'll post here once I've played it a bit, for the 1-2 other people who care about Spellforce 3.

*EDIT* Typo.

2. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 19:12 CJ_Parker

They must feel pretty confident if they're going with a free weekend a couple weeks before the retail release... right?

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps they have polished this one single player demo mission to perfection while the rest is complete garbage and are hoping that people will fall for the free demo trick Wink .

You can not be careful enough these days. I will wait for a GOTY and sales. RPG/RTS hybrid is not my favorite genre anyway.

1. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 17, 2017, 18:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Whoa, shit, I'll download this post haste!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo