Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Battlefront II Launches

EA announces the launch of Star Wars Battlefront II, the action game sequel set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Controversy over player progression and microtransactions have swirled around this game for a while now, and just last night EA announced they are temporarily suspending all real-money transactions within the game (according to VentureBeat this was at the behest of Disney CEO Bob Iger). They do say microtransactions will return at some point when they "get this right," but bear in mind they felt they already had this right before the firestorm erupted. Controversy aside, the announcement also says the game will be supported by the release of free seasonal content, starting with free DLC related to The Last Jedi, the next installment in the series of films on which this is all based. The game is available on Origin. Here are more details:

Star Wars Battlefront II allows fans to play as and against Star Wars’ most feared villains and cherished heroes in DICE’s rich multiplayer experience, including Darth Maul, Rey, Yoda, and joining this December, Finn and Captain Phasma. There’s something for everyone in six different multiplayer modes: Starfighter Assault, Galactic Assault, Strike, Blast, Heroes vs. Villains, and Arcade. High in variety and breadth, Galactic Assault allows up to 40 players to step into battle as one of four distinct classes with a massive array of vehicles and customizable weapons in new in-game locations including Yavin 4’s jungle canopies, Kamino's cloning facilities, and Kashyyyk's Wookiee filled forests. Space combat has been designed from the ground up and brought to life by the legendary Criterion Games in Starfighter Assault, featuring distinct handling, weapons, and customization options through Star Cards. Players can immerse themselves in thrilling, multi-stage battles in space and choose from three unique starfighter classes and iconic hero ships including Darth Maul's Scimitar and Poe Dameron's T-70 X-wing. In Arcade, fans can jump into offline single-player or on consoles, split-screen couch co-op, allowing them to take on AI enemies and hone their skills across a variety of scenarios.

New to Star Wars Battlefront II is a carefully crafted and authentic Star Wars story developed by Motive Studios in partnership with Lucasfilm. The campaign helps to tell the story of what happened in the empire after the events of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi from the perspective of an all new hero, Iden Versio, leader of Inferno Squad. In addition to exploring iconic locations from the films, players will be introduced to new ones including the coral planet of Pillio and Iden’s home planet of Vardos.

“With Star Wars Battlefront II, the teams have brought to life a period of Star Wars that hasn’t previously been explored in the films,” said Steve Blank, Creative Executive, Lucasfilm Story Group. “We’ve worked diligently to craft a compelling story of what it’s like to view a familiar conflict from a very different perspective by allowing players to experience the Battle of Endor and destruction of the second Death Star as an Imperial.”

Following the launch of the game, all players who own Star Wars Battlefront II will be able to experience free themed seasons that can include a mix of new locations, characters, challenges, live events, rewards and more in a world that's constantly growing with the community. The first season, Star Wars Battlefront II The Last Jedi, inspired by the upcoming film, Star Wars™: The Last Jedi™, will start on December 5th when players can choose to align with the First Order or fight for the resistance. Then on December 13th, things will kick into high gear when fans will get access to Finn and Captain Phasma as playable characters, the new planet Crait, a new space location in D’Qar, daily and weekly challenges and rewards. Players can also continue their journey as Iden Versio in Star Wars Battlefront II Resurrection, a new chapter in the single-player campaign.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 19, 2017, 06:31 Muscular Beaver

Slick wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 19:23:
Great reddit post that sums up all the bullshit with this "movement"

There are real problems with progression, but that has spawned this cascade of lies, disinformation, and FUD across the galaxy. It's staggering. Anyone who enjoys the game gets downvoted into oblivion and harassed, having people PM them spoilers or threaten to dox.
That guy is talking about "armchair lawyers", while not even realizing that Belgium is actually investigating this game as gambling. BS like that alone disqualifies this as a "good post".

And if you do shit, dont be surprised that it gets blown out of proportion. I mean, do you criticize stuff like that when its going against Trump, he gets attacked massively for stupid jokes, for example? I didnt think so.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 21:12 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 20:36:
MrGrosser wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 18:25:
I'm hearing they're taking the loot crates out completely after all this backlash. Bad news.. they're going into The Last Jedi.

Apparently we need buy star cards to unlock all the acts of the movie.
They have to make up the lost income somewhere.

I don't even think it's lost income, as the game itself could make a billion in the first quarter. It's more about sustainable income so they can justify continuing to build content for free.

It's pretty dumb, but seem to just be a side-effect of the way public companies operate.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

76. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 20:36 RedEye9

MrGrosser wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 18:25:
I'm hearing they're taking the loot crates out completely after all this backlash. Bad news.. they're going into The Last Jedi.

They have to make up the lost income somewhere.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

75. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 19:27 RedEye9

Slick wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 19:23:

There are real problems with progression, but that has spawned this cascade of lies, disinformation, and FUD across the galaxy. It's staggering. Anyone who enjoys the game gets downvoted into oblivion and harassed, having people PM them spoilers or threaten to dox.
Simple fix, don't go to reddit.
Because if you play with the shit covered fucktards of reddit expect to get dirty.

74. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 19:23 Slick

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

73. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 18:25 MrGrosser

72. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 13:09 DangerDog

DarkCntry wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 05:35:
I decided to Redbox this to play the only thing I really care about, the campaign...5 and a half hours later we're left on an obvious cliffhanger for DLC and nothing else to show for it...almost felt like a waste of my time.

I don't know what it is about the game, but nothing really felt more than 'meh'. The graphics were just the same as the previous title, albeit still nice, the space combat was tighter than the last but still very underwhelming, and the story was far more predictable than anything I've played in the last year...

All in all, I am pretty glad that I used Redbox...and I even had a discount for it to boot, so it cost absolutely nothing for me.

They sliced off the ending for this exact reason, redbox and gamestop returns. Got to try to hook people into holding onto their game by fooling them that you're going to release more single player content.

Now you'll just have to settle for watching the rest of the campaign on youtube. That is if you even can bother to care.

71. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 11:44 Madoc Owain

I have not played any multiplayer FPS seriously since Battlefield:1942 .. "Left for Dead 2" excepted. Trying to figure out how you can have PvP multiplayer in an FPS with player "levels"? Is there some kind of player ranking system (EMO? EVO? I forget..) like there was in Mechwarrior:Online so you don't get owned by "level 50" players with all the unlocked skills or weapons?

PvP FPS was hard enough 'back in the day' when you might end up on a pickup team against some clan practicing on a public server.

Get off my lawn!

70. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 05:50 DarkCntry

El Pit wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 05:41:
I decided to Redbox this to play the only thing I really care about, the campaign...5 and a half hours later we're left on an obvious cliffhanger for DLC and nothing else to show for it...almost felt like a waste of my time.

I don't know what it is about the game, but nothing really felt more than 'meh'. The graphics were just the same as the previous title, albeit still nice, the space combat was tighter than the last but still very underwhelming, and the story was far more predictable than anything I've played in the last year...

All in all, I am pretty glad that I used Redbox...and I even had a discount for it to boot, so it cost absolutely nothing for me.

It did cost you the discount which you could have used on something else/better.

Not really, my Redboxes are pretty meh when it comes to selection. Hell, I've seen most of the movies in them and the only games I generally rent are new releases

Either way, $3 isn't a big deal.

69. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 05:41 El Pit

It did cost you the discount which you could have used on something else/better.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

68. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 05:35 DarkCntry

67. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 18, 2017, 01:02 Rigs

So can we just confirm that Cutter is really Putin trying to stir shit up and his lizard alien friends are mind tricking all of us to argue with each other, there by ensuring Trump's re-election...uh, somehow?

Good. Agreed.

Back to the game.

I signed up for the $5 EA Access thing so I could play the BF2 early trial they had...but it took five days to download it, so I didn't get to actually play any of it until tonight. I just have to say one positive thing about this game, if I can - it's fucking GORGEOUS! I never got around to playing the first and haven't played BF1 either (because shitty internet), so I haven't seen the new Frostbite engine. OMG! The first mission on Endor I spent about 20 minutes starring at the trees and the undergrowth and thinking how much I'd KILL for an open world SW RPG with this engine! Could you imagine?! Even if it was just a few planets, geez, it's jaw dropping! I think I died once or twice because I was paying more attention to the scenery. And on the flip side, the DS2 explosion was very cheesy. I mean, sound doesn't travel as fast as light, guys! (Well, then again, there's no sound in space, at all, so I guess the argument's moot) The remake of the Executor SSD plunging into the Death Star was pretty epic, though!

The graphics come at a price, at least on my aging rig (Core i5-750/2.8 oc'd to 4.02ghz, 14gb RAM (weird, I know), 1050ti/4gb). I could not enable v-sync without it having an epileptic seizure in the cutscenes. I'm guessing my hard drive isn't fast enough to stream the textures and keep up with every frame. During the cutscenes, the hard drive would spin like mad, trying desperately to keep in sync. I'd get some audio, the graphics would sputter and stop, the hard drive would whirl, then more audio and the graphics would go fast-forward to catch up. This isn't the video card because the frame rate is fine, very smooth. Almost like a microstutter...only not so micro.

Before getting into the story campaign, I tried out the 'Arcade' mode, which gave the option of 'Onslaught', which is a horde-mode-like, and 'Team Battle', online team deathmatch mode but with bots, basically. I chose 'Onslaught' and after waiting two minutes to load (honestly, my hard drive is pretty fragmented, so this probably isn't the games fault), I was dead in roughly 20 seconds, only to respawn, all the bots to find me in 2.3 seconds and kill me in another 7. Not very fun. Granted, this was my first time playing it and I didn't know the key layout well but I can't imagine this being very fun in the map I played, which was Mos Eisley. It's too cluttered and restrictive and you go 'out of bounds' easily when you're just trying to flank and maneuver.

This leads me to another major issue I had with the game - the AI. In the campaign, especially, the AI will just rush you most of the time. Sometimes they'll dodge and hide, but the majority will just run right at you, trying to get as close as possible. This made it extremely easy sometimes to head shot the lot of 'em. Other times, I'd be fighting a couple of AI in a decent, ranged battle, only to find myself getting shot from behind by an AI standing like two feet from me. WTF?! This happens quite a bit, actually. I'll be enjoying the normal ranged fight and then have two or three bumblefucks just run up to me and shoot. Or try to, if I didn't clip them ahead of time. A side issue is the sponge syndrome. You'll get AI heavies that can soak up a LOT of firepower and then dish it out. I died several times from this and it's hard to distinguish who's who with all the clutter and chaos. So I'd think I'm just taking out a normal AI when it takes three, four, five near headshots to bring them down.

The space sections are nice and they look OH SO good but XWing or Tie Fighter this ain't! You can enable an 'advanced flying' option that lets you twist and dive and loop but, again, you can find yourself out of bounds quickly. I haven't had but maybe five minutes total in space, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

As for the whole loot crate craze, the buy options were/are disabled as of right now, so the only way is to earn them in-game, which is fine. I won't say I don't understand the issue, I do, it just doesn't bother me, personally. It doesn't mean it isn't a shitty thing, I just don't personally have an issue with it. You're given a crate daily to open for free and I had one when I started. It gave me 500 credits, some crafting parts (whatever the hell those are for) and an upgrade to Darth Maul's Scitimar. Um, ok. Thanks...I think. *shrugs*

I'll have to play some more to give my opinion on the story. It's serviceable so far, nothing mind blowing. I just can't get over how beautiful this engine is, though. And I can't keep wondering how good it would look in a hard core SW open world RPG...damn...

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

66. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 23:39 Devinoch

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 21:21:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 16:14:
El Pit wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:14:
I wonder what is going on with EA right now. Emergency EA CEO conference with Disney? Why the whales didn't want to get hunted? What went wrong? They must be afraid because their customers stood up to them and the pay2win system. Nothing is worse than fans that are no longer fanatic enough to accept torture.

Honest thoughts? I think Disney is considering acquiring EA, and revamping them to fix the problems they feel they can correct for. It might not be a bad business play, in all honesty. EA has reliably profitable stuff (Madden, FIFA, NHL) and has talent and technology Disney could use to replace the basically-defunct Disney Interactive. It's not a bad proposition for either side, assuming they can some smart people to oversee it.

Disney listens to the same exact overlords.

What, the tenets of capitalism? Yep, I'm pretty sure that's true of any actual business, sadly.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

65. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 23:38 Devinoch

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:20:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:05:
Misogyny on display.

I don't have any problems with people having opinions on things, but using the term "Social Justice Warrior" as an insult immediately puts you in the category of "people who think the idea of women being treated as equals is bullshit" and, frankly, beneath the time worthy of a conversation.

You could've made the point that the female-voice to male-voice ratio of stormtroopers seems out-of-whack without being a troll about it, and it would have been a perfectly legitimate criticism to make if, in fact, it is at a 3-to-1 ratio (although, let's also be fair - you are unlikely to have ever made this criticism if it was 3-to-1 in the other direction, now are you?) and one we could've had an actual discussion about.

But you're not interested in such things, because you're much more interested in calling people "SJWs" and thinking somehow that makes you interesting.

It's a shame you can't engage with people whose opinions don't mirror your own without sinking to immediate, obvious trolling. You'd likely learn quite a bit.

Or just maybe you are an SJW and people not bending to your special little snowflake view of the world triggers you into a typical shrill liberal diatribe that has no actual basis in reality. Women aren't equal. Neither are men. None of us are equal so why should people treated like that? Just because you say so? No different from the extreme-right, the extreme-left lives in some little fantasy world where everyone is supposed to hold hands and sing Kumbaya all day long - instead of doing any actual work. If you people would just shut up and stop trying to force your twisted, irrational views on everyone else than they wouldn't be complaining about how fucking irritating your type are, would they? The Universe doesn't give a fuck about what you think is fair or moral or good or bad and neither does most life on this planet.

People like you are the direct cause of rise of the right-wing. It's would be funny if it wasn't so sad that all the shit you whine about comes about entirely because of your whinging. And the fact is you're the one stirring shit up. So that makes you the fucking troll, not him. He was simply expressing his opinion. You're the one having a hissy fit and saying he's not entitled to his beliefs. Well fuck you and the PC horse you rode in on. Middlefinger

Ah yes, another profanity laden, mindless rant. I would have expected no less from you, Cutter.

And, I might point out, completely ignoring the actual issue at hand, huh? But hey, let's try and educate, and maybe you'll learn something.

Never once did I say he isn't entitled to his beliefs. You're welcome to go digging for that. You won't find it. What I *did* say, repeatedly, is that reductive, confrontational language is no way to make a point successfully. I'm trying to teach how to successfully argue an opinion.

The "extreme-left," as it seems you're willing to paint anyone who doesn't hold a view parallel to your own, is made up of lots of people, all of whom often hold conflicting opinions! Almost like they're actual individuals, capable of unique thought. (I particularly loved your line of "If you people would just shut up and stop trying to force your twisted, irrational views on everyone else" said in complete lack of irony or self-awareness...)

If you want to hold to your extreme nihilism, you're welcome to it, but you can't simply argue that everyone else has to hold a similar viewpoint, because you think yours is correct. Otherwise, you should expect to spend the rest of your life yelling at every human you meet for not thinking exactly the same as you.

Because, whatever you think, I wasn't arguing that "The Universe" had to do anything - I was arguing about the actions of people, all of whom hold individual opinions, and, to get back to the actual topic, that people weren't complaining when it was all male voices for stormtroopers, and now that there is a majority of female voices, somehow that's "a problem."

Want to engage in an actual debate? Bring it on. Going to engage in more mindless mudslinging? Have fun elsewhere.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

64. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 22:36 StingingVelvet

I don't have any problems with people having opinions on things, but using the term "Social Justice Warrior" as an insult immediately puts you in the category of "people who think the idea of women being treated as equals is bullshit" and, frankly, beneath the time worthy of a conversation.

In the beginning "social justice warrior" was a way to mock people who took it way too seriously and never shut up about it. I used the term a good bit back then when it seemed like every other game article was a virtue signal. Now though "SJW" is a term applied to anyone left of George Wallace, which is asinine. Just another example of how extremely divided the country/world is right now.

63. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 22:35 BIGtrouble77

For those you you that got refunded, how long did it take for the game to be unplayable? I was refunded this morning and the game still works.  

62. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 21:38 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 21:21:
I wonder what is going on with EA right now. Emergency EA CEO conference with Disney? Why the whales didn't want to get hunted? What went wrong? They must be afraid because their customers stood up to them and the pay2win system. Nothing is worse than fans that are no longer fanatic enough to accept torture.

Honest thoughts? I think Disney is considering acquiring EA, and revamping them to fix the problems they feel they can correct for. It might not be a bad business play, in all honesty. EA has reliably profitable stuff (Madden, FIFA, NHL) and has talent and technology Disney could use to replace the basically-defunct Disney Interactive. It's not a bad proposition for either side, assuming they can some smart people to oversee it.

Huh? As what, EA? They have nothing to do with each other other than that Disney licenses out Star Wars to EA? Confused

61. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 21:21 HorrorScope

60. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Launches Nov 17, 2017, 21:09 RedEye9

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 16:53:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 16:11:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 15:30:
They do push the feminism SJW issue quite a bit, so many female stromtroopers it's actually laughable. They even got lazy and used female soldier voice files for male rebel soldier models. They didn't even do that good of a job on the voices, I didn't hear one "Stop rebel scum!"

Misogyny on demand. Comments sections never disappoint.

Social Justice Star Warrior detected.

I don't have any problem with playing as a female, despite the bad writing for her. Grows up worshiping the Empire, defending the emperor building the second Death Star but grows a conscious when the Empire gives some scorched earth order 66 to her. And that sounds way more interesting than what's in the game.

Okay maybe one or two female voiced stormtroopers but they over did the female to male ratio by at least 3 to 1. It just sounds out of place.

Misogyny on display.

You could've made the point that the female-voice to male-voice ratio of stormtroopers seems out-of-whack without being a troll about it, and it would have been a perfectly legitimate criticism to make if, in fact, it is at a 3-to-1 ratio (although, let's also be fair - you are unlikely to have ever made this criticism if it was 3-to-1 in the other direction, now are you?) and one we could've had an actual discussion about.

But you're not interested in such things, because you're much more interested in calling people "SJWs" and thinking somehow that makes you interesting.

It's a shame you can't engage with people whose opinions don't mirror your own without sinking to immediate, obvious trolling. You'd likely learn quite a bit.
Devinoch, you hit the nail on the head.

59. Re: removed Nov 17, 2017, 20:55 DarkV

Quboid wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 18:30:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:38:
NKD wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:18:
Look at these REMOVED posts. Special snowflake DangerDog can't handle his opinion being criticised and has to get it removed. Just like his hero Donald Trump. Grow a pair, Cletus.

People could also express an opinion without breaking Blue's extremely lenient rules. Just saying...

I didn't know Blue would remove posts if I felt someone was criticising me. Can anyone get this service, or is it just Trump supporters? Rolleyes

Maybe your post getting removed was your fault, NKD. Not DangerDog's, not Blue's - and I don't say that out of any love for DD's paranoid fantasies.

(Oh, ninja'd. That's what happens when you stop for a sandwich half way through your post )

Sorry it's only a special service for the #MAGA Pepe crowd Jester I kid I kid

Jesus, I'm not going to say i'm surprised by the names throwing the accusations out there. Seems they've lost they're minds over the last year. And Cutter...great post that hits the nail on the head.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo