Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 18, 2017, 11:51 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 22:49:
Beamer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 15:01:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:43:
Beamer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:20:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:22:
Gotta agree with Cutter. These kinds of technologies will herald in great improvements in safety, efficiency, and cost, while creating a new class of poor, unemployed workers. If the government doesn't proactively address it (something it's been very poor at doing in the past several decades) it's a recipe for massive social unrest, the kind we haven't seen since the civil rights era.

Trucker is already a bad job. As in a really bad job. Well paying, but keeps people from their families for significant lengths of time (which may be a benefit to some), has them work dangerous hours, has huge penalties for things often beyond their control, etc.

I don't know how we help truckers today, but there's a good reason to make sure we don't have any new truckers.
Sitting for extended periods is also really bad for your health. Maybe they should have standing trucker cabs.

Don't be stupid.
It should be a steering wheel with a treadmill underneath.
Or make the cab leg powered, Flintstones style!

So the machines navigate and we power?

Healthy reversal, or phase one of the matrix?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 18, 2017, 11:13 Dacote

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 21:32:
Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:27:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 14:10:
It's gonna be like Hunger Games, where all the plebs have nothing to do but live off the land or entertain the ultra rich.

No, actually it'll be more like Red October or the French Revolution with the elites getting their fucking heads cut off and the wealth redistributed to the people. I'd actually like to see that. Viva la Revolucion! Viva Che! Power to the People! Beatnik

Yeah. Except the wealth never got redistributed to the "people," just to the new elites. Who then sent all of the people who helped them revolt to the guillotine next. Great plan, there...
Nobody ever reads the 2nd chapter of a history book nor the minutes from the previous meeting.
Besides, the facts you bring up aren't edgy.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 22:54 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:25:
Actually given the massive shortage of drivers it's actually become a lot better job where drivers can set what they will and won't work. That aside I'll never understand why they weren't building more railways. It's just so much more cost-effective and efficient in the long run. Saying nothing of the environmental benefits to boot.
IIRC, a bunch of auto companies got together, bought the RRs, and tore up the tracks. After that the railroads never recovered.

Stay a while, and listen.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 22:49 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 15:01:
Gotta agree with Cutter. These kinds of technologies will herald in great improvements in safety, efficiency, and cost, while creating a new class of poor, unemployed workers. If the government doesn't proactively address it (something it's been very poor at doing in the past several decades) it's a recipe for massive social unrest, the kind we haven't seen since the civil rights era.

Trucker is already a bad job. As in a really bad job. Well paying, but keeps people from their families for significant lengths of time (which may be a benefit to some), has them work dangerous hours, has huge penalties for things often beyond their control, etc.

I don't know how we help truckers today, but there's a good reason to make sure we don't have any new truckers.
Sitting for extended periods is also really bad for your health. Maybe they should have standing trucker cabs.

Don't be stupid.
Or make the cab leg powered, Flintstones style!

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 21:32 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:27:
It's gonna be like Hunger Games, where all the plebs have nothing to do but live off the land or entertain the ultra rich.

No, actually it'll be more like Red October or the French Revolution with the elites getting their fucking heads cut off and the wealth redistributed to the people. I'd actually like to see that. Viva la Revolucion! Viva Che! Power to the People! Beatnik

Yeah. Except the wealth never got redistributed to the "people," just to the new elites. Who then sent all of the people who helped them revolt to the guillotine next. Great plan, there...

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 17:27 Cutter

“I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END.” - Miranda Hart

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 17:25 Cutter

Actually given the massive shortage of drivers it's actually become a lot better job where drivers can set what they will and won't work. That aside I'll never understand why they weren't building more railways. It's just so much more cost-effective and efficient in the long run. Saying nothing of the environmental benefits to boot.

“I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END.” - Miranda Hart

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 15:01 Beamer

Don't be stupid.

-------------

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 14:43 jdreyer

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 14:20 Beamer

-------------

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 14:19 RedEye9

If it's good enough for Jennifer Lawrence it's good enough for me.

Everyone's favorite company, Walmart, has already bought 5 of the trucks.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 14:10 jacobvandy

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 13:00 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:00:
Morris, of Embark, says this lack of research is partly out of necessity. “It’s much easier to measure the things that you have now that might go away,” says Morris. “It’s much harder to measure the things that will be created through innovation.” Cars might have killed the buggy whip industry, but they created jobs in the hospitality industry, the oil and gas industry ... and trucking.

And that's true in reverse. All the ancillary jobs related to trucking will be lost as well. So you're talking several million people here. If the government isn't doing anything about it that's the sort of thing that foments massive crimes precipitating bloody revolution. Especially if neural nets/AI start replacing white collar workers in the same way as expected. Then you start looking at 10s to 100s of millions out of work, billions around the planet. And no one has any money to spend on the products and services that they've been replaced in and the economy collapses to boot. So I don't see how that can possibly work without the invention of matter replicators like in Star Trek. It doesn't seem to me that any of the companies that want to implement these sorts of automation are taking any of this into account. That somehow countries full of unemployed people will somehow automagically keep the various economies going.

Yeah I'm not sure the traditional capitalist economy is going to survive the automation revolution. Either billions of people are going to have to die off when all the work goes away (and we'll have World War 3 before that happens) or we'll have to figure out a new economic model where labor is a post-scarcity commodity.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 12:58 Flatline

American Truck Simulator is about to get a lot more boring.  

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 12:22 jdreyer

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 12:00 Cutter

Morris, of Embark, says this lack of research is partly out of necessity. “It’s much easier to measure the things that you have now that might go away,” says Morris. “It’s much harder to measure the things that will be created through innovation.” Cars might have killed the buggy whip industry, but they created jobs in the hospitality industry, the oil and gas industry ... and trucking.

And that's true in reverse. All the ancillary jobs related to trucking will be lost as well. So you're talking several million people here. If the government isn't doing anything about it that's the sort of thing that foments massive crimes precipitating bloody revolution. Especially if neural nets/AI start replacing white collar workers in the same way as expected. Then you start looking at 10s to 100s of millions out of work, billions around the planet. And no one has any money to spend on the products and services that they've been replaced in and the economy collapses to boot. So I don't see how that can possibly work without the invention of matter replicators like in Star Trek. It doesn't seem to me that any of the companies that want to implement these sorts of automation are taking any of this into account. That somehow countries full of unemployed people will somehow automagically keep the various economies going.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization, truckers Nov 17, 2017, 11:43 SlimRam

swedishfriend wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 10:25:
The Tesla trucks do not drive themselves. They have automatic safety features. In a convoy they are twice as cheap as diesel and even cheaper than trains so I would imagine there to be a need for more truckers until the trucks do drive themselves.
Yup and also there is apparently already a shortage of truckers so I imagine they will still have jobs for awhile longer but... It's probably just a matter of time before the entire industry is changed for good.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization, truckers Nov 17, 2017, 10:25 swedishfriend

The Tesla trucks do not drive themselves. They have automatic safety features. In a convoy they are twice as cheap as diesel and even cheaper than trains so I would imagine there to be a need for more truckers until the trucks do drive themselves.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo