Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled

There's an "Update on Star Wars Battlefront II" on the Electronic Arts website from Oskar Gabrielson, the GM of DICE (thanks PC Invasion). He announces that they have felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out they were not buying SWBF2. As a result of the outcry they are temporarily disabling real-money purchases in the Star Wars action sequel until they can work out how to make them more palatable and less Palpatine. As a result, all progression in the game will require actually progressing in the game, though it sounds like the allure of the dark side will eventually bring the return of microtransactions. Here's the announcement, which begins with some sort of Jedi mind trick thanking fans for raking them over the coals over this:

Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We’ve also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You’ve seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 18, 2017, 14:22 RedEye9

Luke wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 17:32:
The sheep's don't want to play theregame,theywanteverythingNOWpathetic "players"
That's what the sheep's say.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 17:32 Luke

The sheep's don't want to play there game , they want everything NOW

pathetic "players "

58. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 14:22 Beamer

I highly doubt this ever hit RFP stage.

This wasn't Disney looking for a service, this was EA looking to pay for a license.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

57. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 14:07 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:55:
Nullity wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:22:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:29:
I'm pretty sure if EA doesn't handle their stuff Disney is going to move their Star Wars IP elsewhere.
We can only hope.

From the minute they announced that EA had an exclusive Star Wars license, everyone knew it was going to be a shit-show.

Well, not everyone. Disney wasn't in the know. Pretty sure during the RFP stage EA impressed Disney with their dog and pony show numbers. If Disney did their due diligence they would have found EA is one of the most loathsome companies, and THE most loathsome in the video game industry.

Except they don't care about any of that. They care about shareholder value. Leasing the SW IP to EA is free money.

Stay a while, and listen.

56. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 14:06 jdreyer

loomy wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 09:59:
no competitive game can be competitive with pay2win. either everyone has the same equipment or it's not competitive. pretty simple

Let's say you can buy upgrades outright, or grind for them. What's a reasonable amount of grinding to be able acquire +20% damage mod for a weapon? An hour?

55. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 14:00 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 04:16:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:59:
I'm pretty sure if EA doesn't handle their stuff Disney is going to move their Star Wars IP elsewhere.
They can try. Who else is going to make them the money that EA does? Activision, maybe, but that's a big maybe. Ubi? Please.

CD Projekt Red. Any company that can employ over a 1,000 people to work on a single game (Witcher 3) and can publish it themselves, can handle a franchise like Star Wars.

I have no doubt that CDPR can make a *great* SW game. The question I asked though was, can they make Disney money? There are some conflicts here:
- CDPR only turns out a game every 3-4 years or so. That's not often enough for Disney.
- They also only work on one game at a time, which I'm sure Disney would like to see their SW IP more routinely exploited.
- CDPR has a no-DRM policy. Won't fly with Disney.
- CDPR is based in Poland, with an entirely different set of work and IP laws, resulting in less control for Disney.

54. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 13:55 Kxmode

Nullity wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 13:22:
We can only hope.

From the minute they announced that EA had an exclusive Star Wars license, everyone knew it was going to be a shit-show.

Well, not everyone. Disney wasn't in the know. Pretty sure during the RFP stage EA impressed Disney with their dog and pony show numbers. If Disney did their due diligence they would have found EA is one of the most loathsome companies, and THE most loathsome in the video game industry.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

53. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 13:29 Beamer

This is a big deal.

EA budgeted for that long tail. Their choices in both development budget and marketing budget incorporated that. Possibly even the choice to take the license on.

The long tail is now turned off, so a fairly significant revenue stream they'd expected is now gone. The game will need to sell much more to make up for that.

It's possible the backlash did hit their sales expectations to the point that the amount of money they expect to gain in sales by removing this is greater than what they expected to earn from the long tail, but I'd wager a very angry Disney had more to do with it. EA is used to people being furious with them. Disney less so, especially with their golden goose. Well, one of their golden geese.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

52. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 13:22 Nullity

We can only hope.

51. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 13:18 ItBurn

Flatline wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:53:
They can try. Who else is going to make them the money that EA does? Activision, maybe, but that's a big maybe. Ubi? Please.

CD Projekt Red. Any company that can employ over a 1,000 people to work on a single game (Witcher 3) and can publish it themselves, can handle a franchise like Star Wars.

A single player Star Wars RPG that makes Knights of the Old Republic look like garbage and has like 80 hours of game play?

OMG YES PLEASE

With horrible combat, boring exploration and a crappy progression system?

50. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 12:53 Flatline

A single player Star Wars RPG that makes Knights of the Old Republic look like garbage and has like 80 hours of game play?

OMG YES PLEASE

49. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 09:59 loomy

no competitive game can be competitive with pay2win. either everyone has the same equipment or it's not competitive. pretty simple  

48. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 09:08 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 08:11:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:42:
Most angry Bob Iger is

It wasn't EA that made the decision to turn off the lootcrate money machine.

Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money.

The last thing Disney needs is a bunch of negative press around their soon to be released Star Wars movie.
/and thread
Occam's razor strikes again.

I was wondering if Disney was eventually going to say something. You know they can't be happy that nothing but negative bullshit in association with Star Wars has been happening for the last week+.

47. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 09:07 Verno

I just have to wonder how they could ever think its a good idea.

If you're going to put in things that affect balance, they shouldn't be sleazy as fuck. +20% fire rate should also have some sort of downside like +20% to damage taken. At least then there is some sort of tradeoff instead of "just pay to be objectively better". The quasi-gambling stuff is disgusting too.

Star Wars cosmetics would sell like hotcakes, there is zero need for any of this. It was just some shareholder dividend maximization bullshit. Greed for the sake of it.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

46. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 08:47 SpectralMeat

At this point even if EA would give this game away for free with a monthly payment plan that they'd be paying to people to play the game, people would still hate on it for the sake of hating on it.
*shrug

Steam: SpectralMeat

45. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2017, 08:14 Luke

Buttheads how about just making a game and fucking forget about DownLoadCrap ....and microtransactions...god how hard can it be

It's all that shit that are ruin games

44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 08:11 RedEye9

DangerDog wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:42:
Most angry Bob Iger is

It wasn't EA that made the decision to turn off the lootcrate money machine.

Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money.

The last thing Disney needs is a bunch of negative press around their soon to be released Star Wars movie.
/and thread
Occam's razor strikes again.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

43. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2017, 07:49 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 02:47:
Timmeh wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 02:12:
I hope EA and Dice read this. !@#$ off. Not only will I never buy SWBF2.. but I also deleted Battlefield 1. You can shove it all up your ass. I will never buy another dice product again. Ever.

I'm sure they've read this and it will come up in the next corporate memo. Also, they're really sad that you won't play a game you already bought.

I swear, it's like every gamer is a newly-drafted SJW, and they're all fighting the good fight for the betterment of the universe.

People don't get this passionate about real wars, climate change, or the possibility of a nuclear exchange with North Korea.

People need to get their fucking priorities straight... or you know, keep attacking people who've spent their entire lives to get a chance to make videogames, or even better the people who play those games. They're the evil ones! LET'S ALL GET EM BOYS!

Reminds me of the Sean Hannity crap recently with retards destroying their Keurig coffee makers. I guess neither common sense or critical thinking is very popular with that crowd though, so it's somewhat of a fitting response.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

42. removed Nov 17, 2017, 04:29 Richards Whisnant

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 17, 2017, 04:37.

41. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 04:21 Kxmode

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 02:47:
Timmeh wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 02:12:
I hope EA and Dice read this. !@#$ off. Not only will I never buy SWBF2.. but I also deleted Battlefield 1. You can shove it all up your ass. I will never buy another dice product again. Ever.

I'm sure they've read this and it will come up in the next corporate memo.

Actually they've read it and decided to disable Timmeh!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo