Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Drivers

The GeForce website announces the release of new GeForce Game Ready 388.31 WHQL drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards, saying these are game-ready for Star Wars Battlefront II and Injustice 2 and that they offer performance improvements for Destiny 2. Word is: "Our new GeForce Game Ready 388.31 WHQL drivers are optimized for Star Wars Battlefront II and Injustice 2, and increase performance in Destiny 2 by up to 53%. To download and install, simply fire up GeForce Experience and click the 'Drivers' tab." That last part about the GeForce Experience is actually optional, as the drivers are available as a separate download (which will try to install the GeForce Experience unless you opt out).

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 17, 2017, 03:59 Quinn

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 11:15:
Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 10:59:
The biggest mistake in my gaming life EVER was upgrading to a 144hz monitor. Anything below 70 I now consider as stuttering. 60 flat-out sucks and 50 is unacceptable.

That's an odd comment. 144hz to me helps the effects of frames per second no matter what it is. A screen redrawing faster in my eyes is always better. Scrolling up and down web pages, its better. Tearing, virtually gone without vsync enabled. Same for that wave-type effect you get sometimes with isometric games panning the landscape. That is gone to. Now do I simply want more FPS... yes. Little Secret, sometimes I turn vsynch on, which means locked at 72... because I don't need the system working overtime.

HorrorScope you must've obviously misunderstood me somehow. I say it's my biggest mistake because it upped my standard to a point where the PC gaming hobby has become so much more expensive. Like I said, 70 fps is now my minimum. But of course, it's much harder to run all new games on ultra with a minimum fps of 70, which means I have to upgrade more often.

For example, back when I didn't know better 60 fps was just perfect. I literally couldn't imagine games any smoother than 60 fps. So with the same hardware I'm having now, I wouldn't have any complaints about ACO because back then I could deal with an occasional drop to 50fps as long as the 60 fps was somewhat steady overall.

So, yeah... biggest mistake of my gaming life.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 11:15 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 10:59:
The biggest mistake in my gaming life EVER was upgrading to a 144hz monitor. Anything below 70 I now consider as stuttering. 60 flat-out sucks and 50 is unacceptable.

That's an odd comment. 144hz to me helps the effects of frames per second no matter what it is. A screen redrawing faster in my eyes is always better. Scrolling up and down web pages, its better. Tearing, virtually gone without vsync enabled. Same for that wave-type effect you get sometimes with isometric games panning the landscape. That is gone to. Now do I simply want more FPS... yes. Little Secret, sometimes I turn vsynch on, which means locked at 72... because I don't need the system working overtime.

16. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 10:59 Quinn

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 10:07:
AC Origins runs smooth as shit on my ancient-ass rig with a 2500K and a 970 @1080p. I only drop below 40fps in Memphis, with everything set to High and quite a few settings (can't remember which off the top of my head, I know environment detail, water, character detail and a few others) set as high as they will go. Shadows set to Medium.

Most places it's an easy 50-60fps.

Weird that so many people have issues (well, not weird, it's an Ubisoft Kiev production, so...) and it runs so well on my system that was literally built in the same age as the game is set.

The biggest mistake in my gaming life EVER was upgrading to a 144hz monitor. Anything below 70 I now consider as stuttering. 60 flat-out sucks and 50 is unacceptable. But still, even with that ridiculous high standard, ACO's performance is worse than it should be if I compare it to other games with similar or better graphics. I'm not at alk impressed with the graphics. They look good but I've seen better. Also in sandbox or open world games.
It's a fact that the game is ridiculously hard on your CPU. Why, I wonder?

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

15. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 10:07 Creston

AC Origins runs smooth as shit on my ancient-ass rig with a 2500K and a 970 @1080p. I only drop below 40fps in Memphis, with everything set to High and quite a few settings (can't remember which off the top of my head, I know environment detail, water, character detail and a few others) set as high as they will go. Shadows set to Medium.

Most places it's an easy 50-60fps.

Weird that so many people have issues (well, not weird, it's an Ubisoft Kiev production, so...) and it runs so well on my system that was literally built in the same age as the game is set.

14. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 08:25 SpectralMeat

Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 08:22:
What I tried to express, I guess, is that these 2 games are already very well optimized compared to ACO.
I see, got ya

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 08:22 Quinn

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 08:07:
Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 01:29:
These games did not need performance boosts unless you're running them on a potato.

Assassins Creed Origin on the other hand...
I disagree. I for one am happy to see they mention Destiny as I do have some severe frame rate drops in intense fights.
I'm running a 970 and 1080p resolution. Core i5-2600k@4.3
I know my CPU is old but I don't think my system is a potato

Hmm yeah my standards are a bit too high to call yours a potato indeed. What I tried to express, I guess, is that these 2 games are already very well optimized compared to ACO. Which is why I am surprised and disappointed that they didn't manage to improve that game's performance with the latest driver.

On a side-note: the AA graphic option in ACO is silly in that it has you choose between off, medium, high (and very high?) instead of FXAA, MSAA 4X etc. My point I'm getting at is that I have a feeling ACO is already doing some crazy high MSAA stuff even on one of the lower settings. The fps improvement I got from going from high to medium was absolutely insane.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

12. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 08:07 SpectralMeat

Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 01:29:
These games did not need performance boosts unless you're running them on a potato.

I disagree. I for one am happy to see they mention Destiny as I do have some severe frame rate drops in intense fights.
I'm running a 970 and 1080p resolution. Core i5-2600k@4.3
I know my CPU is old but I don't think my system is a potato

Steam: SpectralMeat

11. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 05:56 Redmask

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 21:06:
Fuck me for enjoying a game. If you want to go after the evil developers, then have at it

He is doing that Beatnik

10. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 01:29 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

9. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 16, 2017, 01:01 Alamar

The thing that helped my Destiny performance near launch was turning Defender Real Time Scan off... Not sure what they fucked up with RS3 (a few days before), but it's been resolved already, so at least there is that ; )  

8. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 22:21 eDave

What Slick said.  

7. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 22:19 headkase

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 21:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 20:37:
Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 19:36:
Anyone notice any difference in Battlefront? It was already running pretty well, wondering if I can start cranking up the resolution to supersampling levels now.

I think (hope) no one else here but you was retarded enough to support that POS game with a purchase.

However, I checked the GeForce forums for issues with this driver and several folks reported decreased performance in SWBF2.

It also seems to have a general green screen flickering issue regardless of what game is played.

I'm going to stay on 387.92 until they fix the 388.xx branch issues.

Oh fuck off. I think there's a subreddit with 100,000 people of a like mind with you, you'd be happier posting there.

I like the game, it's really fun, and they've fixed just about everything that was wrong with SWBF 2015.

Fuck me for enjoying a game. If you want to go after the evil developers, then have at it, attacking players is just retarded.

Haters going to hate man, I know you won't lose any sleep over it.

https://xkcd.com/481/

6. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 21:08 The Half Elf

The introduced a bug I had with some color's being off (sorta like a loose cable and the font going nuts) in Full screen but not Windowed, and now all is fixed.

Just need time to play.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

5. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 21:06 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 20:37:
Anyone notice any difference in Battlefront? It was already running pretty well, wondering if I can start cranking up the resolution to supersampling levels now.

I think (hope) no one else here but you was retarded enough to support that POS game with a purchase.

However, I checked the GeForce forums for issues with this driver and several folks reported decreased performance in SWBF2.

It also seems to have a general green screen flickering issue regardless of what game is played.

Oh fuck off. I think there's a subreddit with 100,000 people of a like mind with you, you'd be happier posting there.

I like the game, it's really fun, and they've fixed just about everything that was wrong with SWBF 2015.

Fuck me for enjoying a game. If you want to go after the evil developers, then have at it, attacking players is just retarded.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

4. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 20:54 Sempai

heroin wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 19:51:
Damn, an increase in performance in Destiny 2 by 53%- when the game is already incredibly optimized, lacking content, but well optimized and great looking.

It sounds lovely, but i call bullshit on Nvidia. Hope i'm wrong, but i don't trust em.

And yes, anyone who buys that goddamn Battlefront 2, you have now forfeited all of your "bitching and moaning on the internet" privileges for time and all fucking eternity. Not one fucking word..

3. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 20:37 CJ_Parker

2. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 19:51 heroin

Damn, an increase in performance in Destiny 2 by 53%- when the game is already incredibly optimized, lacking content, but well optimized and great looking.  

1. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 19:36 Slick

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo