Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Marvel Heroes Shutting Down

GameSpot announces that Marvel Heroes is shutting down, so the end is nigh for this action/RPG designed by Gazillion Entertainment, the developer founded by Diablo veteran David Brevik. Word is Marvel has ended its business relationship with Gazillion. Here's the official statement, which is not exactly wordy: "We regret to inform our Marvel Heroes fans that we have ended our relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, and that the Marvel Heroes games will be shut down. We would like to sincerely thank the players who joined the Marvel Heroes community, and will provide any further updates as they become available." There's no mention of this on the front page of Marvel Heroes website, but there is a post about this on their forums which indicates servers will stay online until the end of this year:

We’re sad to inform our players and our entire Marvel Heroes family that Marvel Heroes Omega will be shutting down. The Marvel Heroes servers will stay on until Dec 31, 2017, and we’ll be removing real money purchases as soon as possible. Players will be able to play the game entirely for free once this sunset period commences. We will share the exact date things go completely free as soon as we can.

We’ve had the privilege of entertaining and collaborating with our players for over four years. We’re extremely humbled by that privilege and wanted to get this message out: Thank you. Thank you to our players, our tireless employees, and everyone involved in the life of Marvel Heroes, Marvel Heroes 2015, Marvel Heroes 2016, and Marvel Heroes Omega.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 23, 2017, 00:37 Mr. Tact

EricFate wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 21:16:
Oh, and remember that Dec 31 deadline? They lied. The servers shut down in two days right before the office gets shuttered. Also, employees will not paid out for any PTO accrual, given any severance, and their medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

Happy Thanksgiving!
*ugh* Quite the holiday present.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 22, 2017, 21:16 EricFate

Oh, and remember that Dec 31 deadline? They lied. The servers shut down in two days right before the office gets shuttered. Also, employees will not paid out for any PTO accrual, given any severance, and their medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

Happy Thanksgiving!

12. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 17, 2017, 04:41 DarkCntry

As far as I understand, the reasoning for the shutdown was due to Gaz missing several milestone deliveries over the course of the last 18 or so months and Disney got fed up with it.  

11. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 16, 2017, 10:45 Keilun

Cutter wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 19:16:
So I'm guessing their license expired and Marvel said something to the effect of 'We want 10x as much monies now!' To which Gazillion replied something like, 'Eff you. We're out.'

Their license was supposed to last until March 17, 2019. So there must have been some opt out that Disney/Marvel decided to exercise probably for lack of profitability.

Gaz has been trying to remake/modernize the game over the past 1.5 years with dwindling resources. Every community update seemed to be "sorry it's delayed again". So it's not at all surprising that Disney was losing interest. You can see the average concurrent players is <400.

http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=marvel+heroes+omega

One supposed insider rumor on their forums is that Disney offered to buy out the game assets but Gaz declined. Who knows how true that is, but either way game over.

10. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 16, 2017, 10:14 kraken

I'm just glad I was already sitting down when I read that news. I would never had imagined that happening.  

9. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 16, 2017, 09:40 Darks

EricFate wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 07:43:
It was one of those games that was fun for a while, but none of the developers really understood what was fun about it. And patch by patch, they eventually managed to remove the fun and were left with a product that nobody was willing to give them money for any longer.

That nerfing patch pretty well killed the game for many. I put a ton of time into this game up until that patch. Then I lost total interest in the game as did many others.

Plus the fact the devs only seemed interested in selling cosmetic costumes and new heroes that pretty much used many of the same abilities as other heroes in the game. And the lack on new content and story missions and new raids killed this game.

And their greed, thanks Gaz!!!

Hopefully this is a also a step in the right direction that EA gets put on notice by Disney. One can only hope!!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

8. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 16, 2017, 07:43 EricFate

It was one of those games that was fun for a while, but none of the developers really understood what was fun about it. And patch by patch, they eventually managed to remove the fun and were left with a product that nobody was willing to give them money for any longer.  

7. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 15, 2017, 21:51 HorrorScope

Well this is a surprise. Not totally sure what shutting down and will commence after the sunset period for free. So the game will be back?

I'm pretty sure it was doing well enough to keep going. Know a few who were still playing and just told one... yep they're shocked by the news.

6. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 15, 2017, 20:59 Cutter

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 20:14:
I had really hoped one of the expansions would've given us a mission editor. It would have been fun to play around with setting your own goals and dialogue for the Savage Land, Xavier's school and the other locales and characters that they had in the game. Maybe Avengers Project will have some kind of user content capability.

Exactly. I'll never ever ever ever understand why these types of games don't come with editors. Allow your community to do the work - well a good deal of it anyway - for you. Yeah there'll be a lot of crap but no shortage or real quality material as well that will make people want to stick around and continue to make you money. That ever CRPG or ARPG isn't built like NWN just boggles my mind. If I was ever going to make one of those games you can be damn sure an easy to use, powerful editor for players to use would be top of the list.

And no, AP sounds really bad as it's going to be a 3rd person cover based "social" game. Rolleyes

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

5. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 15, 2017, 20:14 Bill Borre

I had really hoped one of the expansions would've given us a mission editor. It would have been fun to play around with setting your own goals and dialogue for the Savage Land, Xavier's school and the other locales and characters that they had in the game. Maybe Avengers Project will have some kind of user content capability.  

4. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 15, 2017, 19:54 jacobvandy

I don't think it even had to come down to a licensing disagreement. The game had been pretty badly mismanaged ever since Brevik left, they were not making tons of money, and in fact porting the game to consoles was their last-ditch effort to right the ship. That didn't work, and because they had ignored the PC version of the game for so long in the process, most of their pre-existing playerbase was very bored at best or completely pissed off and long since quit at worst. They just couldn't hold on any longer.

With that said, I did enjoy most of the couple hundred hours I spent with it over the past few years. I'm fine with the $50 or so I spent, but I do sympathize with those who spent much, much more, only to see it all come crashing down so horribly.

3. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 15, 2017, 19:38 FloorPie

It was a fun (for awhile) diablo'esque action rpg. I spent too much on it but got a couple of months out of it, so roughly a $60 game.  

2. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 15, 2017, 19:18 xLith

Cutter wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 19:16:
So I'm guessing their license expired and Marvel said something to the effect of 'We want 10x as much monies now!' To which Gazillion replied something like, 'Eff you. We're out.'

Probably and that was a one of those "Free 2 Play" games in which I'm sure they made a ton of money from and are now screwing all of those players.

1. Re: Marvel Heroes Shutting Down Nov 15, 2017, 19:16 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo