Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Backer Closed Beta Launches

Paradox Interactive announces the launch of the closed beta for those who backed development of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. The funding for Obsidian's RPG sequel is being run through Fig, and there's still the chance to participate for those who are interested. Here's part of the announcement:

Obsidian Entertainment, developers behind Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and many award winning role-playing games, along with publisher, Versus Evil, announce the launch of the closed beta for their upcoming, record breaking, crowdfunded title, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

The closed beta will allow players to try out Deadfire’s new features, such as multiclassing and its overhauled combat system. Obsidian is committed to revealing new features over the next few months, giving those who opted in to the Backer Beta an early peek at the world of the Deadfire. Backers with access to the Backer Beta are encouraged to provide feedback, helping Obsidian make Pillars II an even better experience.

“It’s no surprise, but we love RPGs here at Obsidian. So, it’s awesome to be able to bring the beta of Deadfire to our backers this far out from launch.” commented Feargus Urquhart, CEO Obsidian, “Showing off all the new things we have added to Pillars of Eternity over the last two years is both exciting, and a bit scary. However, it’s key to who we are as a developer to find out what our backers think, and then using that feedback to make Deadfire an even more amazing game.”

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Backer Closed Beta Launches Nov 16, 2017, 11:31 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2017, 00:36:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 21:52:
Cutter wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 19:17:
So is this the POE that'll be any good?

Yes, again!

I really don't know what you want in a CRPG, seems like they all disappointed you.

Wth are you talking about? CRPGs are my fave genre and I've played virtually all of them. You're talking to a guy who started PnP in the 80s, BBS Door games and MUDs in the 90s, and started PC gaming on a x286. No, what Obsidian and InXile have been doing lately have dissapointed me...immensely. Their prior work has all been stuff I've enjoyed for the most part. Witcher 3 is now my all time fave game. No complaints there. Elex is good. Ember, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, etc. I'm enjoying plenty of CRPGs. POE was not amongst them. And I'm not alone in that, not by a long shot. Loads of people didn't like it.
Wasteland wasn't bad but it was meh? Tranny wasn't very good either.

I did mean recently.

Ok so you like Ember and Warlock, Elex is a different take. Warlock is as well to.

But Ember, I liked Ember a lot as well. But to think that is better than even say Sword Coast Legends to me is pushing it. Just seems like you weren't happy with anything recent, less I believe it was Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Which that game leads me to another point of "POE had too much reading", this is the CRPG designers curse. A lot of vocal people push their weight on "I like to read a lot, adds to it, don't need V.A.", that this part is the quintessential meaning of CRPG's, the deep story. POE definitely could have been less wordy, as well as some other recent offerings I hear. And that is one thing I thought Shadowrun did masterfully, kept you in the moment of the story but was also brief in explanation. Wasteland was pretty good there to.

I'm a fan of brief and clear, but also feeling the moment. Without too many open sides, which muddies up the moment too much for me. Again Shadowrun comes to mind the most as the best overall in that realm.

Another faction of players feel the quintessential meaning of CRPG's is being able to play the game many times, make different choices and see fairly meaningful differences. I think that is what some of the old school crpg'ers cling to, I feel DOS2 knocks that out of the park this time around and the best since the old days, if not simply better even.

Ideally, brief but effective along with choice replayability and not too much side noise, is the ideal story line paths for these games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Backer Closed Beta Launches Nov 16, 2017, 00:36 Cutter

Yes, again!

I really don't know what you want in a CRPG, seems like they all disappointed you.

Wth are you talking about? CRPGs are my fave genre and I've played virtually all of them. You're talking to a guy who started PnP in the 80s, BBS Door games and MUDs in the 90s, and started PC gaming on a x286. No, what Obsidian and InXile have been doing lately have dissapointed me...immensely. Their prior work has all been stuff I've enjoyed for the most part. Witcher 3 is now my all time fave game. No complaints there. Elex is good. Ember, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, etc. I'm enjoying plenty of CRPGs. POE was not amongst them. And I'm not alone in that, not by a long shot. Loads of people didn't like it.
Wasteland wasn't bad but it was meh? Tranny wasn't very good either.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

3. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Backer Closed Beta Launches Nov 16, 2017, 00:01 eRe4s3r

No idea about Cutter, but for me personally (backer of PoE) I absolutely hated the verbose book-like text boxes. They regressed 50 steps backwards from BG2 with that...

In BG2 there is not a single dialog that doesn't have a reason for being there, in PoE you are upfronted with so much text by any character that it is nigh impossible to pick out what is important and what is just filler, and when you do take the time to read stuff, you notice 90% of it is not even relevant to the ACTUAL GAME or the STORY you are playing there. And more importantly, I just do not care about any companion in PoE ;( After starting a replay session I opted for replacing them all with adventurers, at least for them I can pick out my own story and stats and role play them and suddenly I care about them.. heh.

I have yet to play the 2 expansions and I plan on doing that now before Deadfire releases, but by the gods I hope they reduced the book feeling in the sequel....

Ps.: Also I absolutely hate that nearly any character is a text dump. You have to explore the dialog options to see whether they trigger quests, but often they don't and you just learned lore about a place you never get to visit ~.~

2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Backer Closed Beta Launches Nov 15, 2017, 21:52 HorrorScope

Yes, again!

1. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Backer Closed Beta Launches Nov 15, 2017, 19:17 Cutter

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo