Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana

The Far Cry series is moving to Montana soon, though there is no word on whether Far Cry 5 will allow you to play as a dental floss tycoon. It will allow you to explore a virtual version of the state, however, and UbiBlog has details on the work going into the environment. The post includes this trailer on the project, and a lot of details. Here's an excerpt:

Far Cry is as much about capturing natural beauty as it is about explosive mayhem, and with Far Cry 5, the bar for re-creating the wilderness is especially high. Unlike the fictional Kyrat or Rook Islands, Montana’s forests, farmlands, and highways will feel familiar to a lot of players – and that means the developers needed to accurately capture every detail, from the wildlife to the logos on roadside shops to the bark on trees, to make Hope County feel like a convincing place.

“We needed to change the way we prepared ourselves,” says Isaac Papismado, graphic assistant on Far Cry 5. “In the past, we used the internet, we used a lot of secondary sources, books, things like that. Whereas now, we really want to go onsite with a team with cameras, and get as much as we can.”

That meant taking a series of trips to Montana, during which the developers trekked into small towns and wilderness locations. They got to know Montana’s ecosystem, wildlife, and people, and took thousands of photos, many of which were used to re-create the landscape in a process called photogrammetry. Using photogrammetry, objects like trees, vegetation, buildings, and even people are photographed from multiple angles and scanned to create lifelike 3D objects. This technique led not only to some of the most detailed environments Far Cry has seen to date, but to a few surprises that made their way into the story.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 18:41 Rigs

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 18:13:
Pretty yes, but I concur with whoever said that they're looking for some gameplay innovation since FC3.

You forgot who I was in twelve posts?! C'mon, Slick, put some effort into it! It wasn't even on another page, FFS!

=-Rigs-=

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 18:14 Slick

El Pit wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 02:40:
EA, how about copying some Ubi work for a Star Wars: FarCry? Spanning different planets? Sorry, I forgot: single-player. Right, you are not about storytelling.

Man, I wish I hadn't been right back when Disney announced they sold the SW license to EA.

There's an SP campaign in SWBF2. Not sure what your point is. It's just a traditional linear narrative-driven campaign, not an open-world romp like the FC series.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

17. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 18:13 Slick

Pretty yes, but I concur with whoever said that they're looking for some gameplay innovation since FC3.  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

16. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 17:19 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 16:42:
Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 12:46:
The exception being that fishing Dreamcast game, if you had the fishing controller. For some reason that was hysterical to have in a corner at parties.

Well yeah. Anything in a party that can make other people laugh at what you're doing is going to be fun. This is why Dance Dance Central or whatever the hell it was called was such a hit.

It was fun because the other people made it fun. Nobody ever fired up that fucking fishing game by themselves.

ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME, UBI? NOBODY GIVES A SHIT WHAT PEOPLE IN MONTANA DO, DON'T FORCE ME TO FUCKING FISH.

Fair enough. You're 100% right that those games weren't fun alone, like Buck Hunter isn't. You need two people, at least, then it becomes stupid fun, like Kinect games. Basically, exactly like Kinect games - only fun when over the top and laughing in a group.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 17:04 Quboid

Good luck with that, Creston. The chances of this not being part of their crafting system are about zero.

I'm looking forward to this. All indications are that they're following the same formula again which is a shame but at least it's a good formula. As far as Generic Ubisoft Open World games goes, I think it's comfortably the best series.

Is that a Vaas bobble-head? I presume he won't be in-game but Willis will probably show up.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

14. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 16:42 Creston

The exception being that fishing Dreamcast game, if you had the fishing controller. For some reason that was hysterical to have in a corner at parties.

Well yeah. Anything in a party that can make other people laugh at what you're doing is going to be fun. This is why Dance Dance Central or whatever the hell it was called was such a hit.

It was fun because the other people made it fun. Nobody ever fired up that fucking fishing game by themselves.

ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME, UBI? NOBODY GIVES A SHIT WHAT PEOPLE IN MONTANA DO, DON'T FORCE ME TO FUCKING FISH.

13. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 16:40 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 11:30:

So I take it you're not a fisher Creston?

12. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 14:31 HorrorScope

LOL, yes the expectation would be if you bought an actual fishing game, there you should expect to fish. But you know what? I hate fishing games that have a mandatory FPS shooter part in them.

11. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 12:46 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:57:
It sure does look purdy.

But please, for the love of God, don't MAKE me do the damn fishing shit. I'm fine with it being there, but please make it completely optional. Don't force me to catch 10 trout to craft a fucking wallet, or I'm out.

Fishing games are ALWAYS stone-cold boring as shit, no matter how detailed they make the "simulation" or whatever. Because fishing itself is boring as shit.

If not, then at least let me just chuck a bar of dynamite into a pond and get 10 fish that way.

-------------

10. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 11:30 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:57:
It sure does look purdy.

But please, for the love of God, don't MAKE me do the damn fishing shit. I'm fine with it being there, but please make it completely optional. Don't force me to catch 10 trout to craft a fucking wallet, or I'm out.

Fishing games are ALWAYS stone-cold boring as shit, no matter how detailed they make the "simulation" or whatever. Because fishing itself is boring as shit.

If not, then at least let me just chuck a bar of dynamite into a pond and get 10 fish that way.
So I take it you're not a fisher Creston?

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 10:57 Creston

It sure does look purdy.

8. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 10:00 Beamer

FC4 was the best, but even as someone that loves the formula, it's getting stale. Dropping grenades on people from helicopters will always be great, though.

Didn't do Primal, because it's still always $29.99-$39.99 and I'll pay no more than $9.99 for it.

And I still think Blooddragon took out what made the games great and left in what made them stale.

-------------

7. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 09:52 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 02:06:
I didn't get around to Primal but I don't think I missed much. I'm in for the story for the most part and from what I've seen and gathered, there isn't much of one in Primal and the mechanics are mostly FC4.5.

=-Rigs-=

I may be the odd man out, but I liked Primal far, far more than I did FC4 which I felt was just stupid and cartoonish. It could also be that I really dig ancient history so the setting was right up my alley. In my opinion, it felt like a more pure storyline. No crazy bullshit other than the shamanistic overtones which are pretty believable in ancient cultures that far back.

6. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 02:40 El Pit

EA, how about copying some Ubi work for a Star Wars: FarCry? Spanning different planets? Sorry, I forgot: single-player. Right, you are not about storytelling.

Man, I wish I hadn't been right back when Disney announced they sold the SW license to EA.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

5. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 15, 2017, 02:06 Rigs

They always do this. I suppose it's marketing, so really I shouldn't complain but damn.

I really like the Far Cry series, with FC4 being my favorite and Blood Dragon coming in second with FC3 bringing up third, ironically. I wasn't crazy about FC2 for some reason. I hear people all the time say it was like the greatest thing and I just look at them with my head cocked sideways, like 'huh?'. I didn't get around to Primal but I don't think I missed much. I'm in for the story for the most part and from what I've seen and gathered, there isn't much of one in Primal and the mechanics are mostly FC4.5.

So back to FC5. I'm pumped, yes, but videos like these do nothing to get me into a frenzy. It's beautiful. Yes, Got it. Thanks. So was FC3 and FC4 at the time, too. But the gameplay looks ripped right from FC 3/4/Primal's playbook, go to the towers (or whatever it is that gives you free guns and an updated map), wipe out the outposts, collect the collectibles, do the little mini-games, hunt for tool upgrades. I mean, it's all here - again. And I love it, don't get me wrong...but if I wanted the same. exact. thing. again. but with a Montana paint job, I could mod FC4.

I don't want to sound like I'm whining. I'm really not. I was just hoping to see some genuine innovation in FC5. After three previous games, you'd think they'd want to do some things differently. Is it COD? Is that what's sucking all the innovation out of the industry? Because it sure seems like it. I'm truly worried about where the gaming industry is headed. Not in the next two or three years, in the next 10 - 15 - 20 years. Back in 1989/1990, a game like FC5 would have blown people's minds. But if it was the fourth in a series with nothing new to bring to the table, aside from eye-searing graphics upgrades, I wonder if everyone would be as blown away and excited. What would the editors of gaming mags like CGW be saying? They'd be worried. As such, I'm worried.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2017, 18:45.

4. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 14, 2017, 23:51 theyarecomingforyou

The graphics really are pretty impressive. I just hope the gameplay has developed enough to make it distinctive enough from Far Cry 3 and 4.  

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280G

3. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 14, 2017, 22:16 HorrorScope

That's some nice gfx.

I'm doing it to knock in far-right teeth.

2. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 14, 2017, 21:17 Cutter

God am I ever looking forward to this! Making some city-slicker liberals squeal like a pig! Mayke 'Murica grate agin!

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

1. Re: Far Cry 5 Shows off Virtual Montana Nov 14, 2017, 20:42 PhysicalEd

Hah! Good one Blue!  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo