Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 20:11 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:25:
Upgrading mobo/cpu/ram seems less and less appealing with these prices. My i5-2600k OC to 4.3 is still chugging along just fine.
I'll probably get a new video card next year though the 970 is showing it's age in some games.
Not planning to jump on the 4k bandwagon just yet. I think we still have a bit of time before games catch up to that resolution in terms of optimization.

What games does your 970 struggle with in 1080p?
I bought mine, wow, actually about 2 years ago. I kept thinking it was last winter. Cost $370, and I knew I was buying at the tail end of its cycle and therefore overpaying, but it's still been serving me pretty well. Guess I haven't bought any of the big games of the past year, though

I have an Intel i7 3750K, 24GB RAM, and a Geforce 1070, I get about 20 FPS in Cities Skylines and it drops to single figures when playing a 1080p60 YouTube video on my second monitor. It's slow because I'm running approximately 100 mods and 2000 assets (extra buildings, trees, vehicles, etc) from the Steam Workshop.

I'm actually playing at 5K (5120x2577) down-scaled to 1440p, because it's so utterly CPU limited that my graphics card is twiddling its thumbs - running it at 1080 would be no faster, just uglier. CSL needs good AA.

I'm upgrading to an Intel i7-8700K with 32GB so hopefully I'll regularly hit 30FPS (and have the RAM to download another 1000 assets). At least the extra cores should help stop videos from slowing things. I'd probably go with an AMD chip if I didn't luck out with an opportunity to get an Intel chip relatively cheap via my work.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2017, 20:38.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 18:33 CJ_Parker

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:03:
I am upgrading in February (maybe, depending on if any information about Ryzen 2 is forthcoming) solely because I want more cores at a non-Intel-anally-rapes-you price.

Ryzen 2 is coming in the first quarter of 2019 at the earliest. What you mean is Ryzen+.

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 15:43 Beamer

Orogogus wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 12:56:
Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:25:
It's tiny (actually pretty big by NYC standards, as it was redone right before I moved in, but it's still about 2"x8"

So like the size of two candy bars, haha.
Ha!
Unintentional, but yeah, consider me having exaggerated but not by much.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 12:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:25:
It's tiny (actually pretty big by NYC standards, as it was redone right before I moved in, but it's still about 2"x8"

So like the size of two candy bars, haha.

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 12:15 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:03:

As an aside, does anybody have any recommendations for a good VGA manufacturer? I bought EVGA for my 970 as I had always had a good experience with them prior to the 970 but I had to fix the mounting on the thermal solution as it was way the hell off base. I would prefer not to go through that again. I had an MSI 480 once a long time ago and that was a pretty solid card. Are they still a solid brand?

MSI gets my vote. Their TwinFrozr / WhateverFrozr design is rock fucking solid and super quiet.

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 10:25 Beamer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:55:
Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 08:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 07:59:
Prices are going up but the days of needing to be on the bleeding edge every year is all but gone except in niche cases. A well built system will now easily last you five years. Amortize the cost over five years, and that system will cost less overall than the money most people spend on eating out over the course of those five years.

Or, if you live in NYC, it costs less overall than eating out does in a month.
I'm not kidding. I haven't counted, but I'm spending at least a grand a month here to eat each month.

Dude, do you not have a kitchen in your place?

It's tiny (actually pretty big by NYC standards, as it was redone right before I moved in, but it's still about 2"x8", plus I don't really have any supermarket near me. Two. I went to one once and a 4 pack of butter was $7.99. On sale at $2.99 if you had a card!

-------------

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 10:03 Burrito of Peace

Upgrading mobo/cpu/ram seems less and less appealing with these prices. My i5-2600k OC to 4.3 is still chugging along just fine.
I'll probably get a new video card next year though the 970 is showing it's age in some games.
Not planning to jump on the 4k bandwagon just yet. I think we still have a bit of time before games catch up to that resolution in terms of optimization.

I am upgrading in February (maybe, depending on if any information about Ryzen 2 is forthcoming) solely because I want more cores at a non-Intel-anally-rapes-you price. I',m just flatout running out of cores for heavy VM use with my Xeon. It was a solid system five years ago but it is starting to show its age.

The 970 I have in it is also struggling a bit now, too. I noticed this when playing AC:O and even Stellaris in large battles is starting to chug at 1080p. I don't want to pull the trigger on a 1080Ti if Volta is soon to be released either. Like Beamer, I bought the 970 two years ago at the end of its life cycle (but paid less than he did) thinking it would last three years.

As an aside, does anybody have any recommendations for a good VGA manufacturer? I bought EVGA for my 970 as I had always had a good experience with them prior to the 970 but I had to fix the mounting on the thermal solution as it was way the hell off base. I would prefer not to go through that again. I had an MSI 480 once a long time ago and that was a pretty solid card. Are they still a solid brand?

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 09:55 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 08:38:
Prices are going up but the days of needing to be on the bleeding edge every year is all but gone except in niche cases. A well built system will now easily last you five years. Amortize the cost over five years, and that system will cost less overall than the money most people spend on eating out over the course of those five years.

I'm not kidding. I haven't counted, but I'm spending at least a grand a month here to eat each month.

Dude, do you not have a kitchen in your place?

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 09:53 SpectralMeat

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 09:37:

I bought mine, wow, actually about 2 years ago. I kept thinking it was last winter. Cost $370, and I knew I was buying at the tail end of its cycle and therefore overpaying, but it's still been serving me pretty well. Guess I haven't bought any of the big games of the past year, though
Destiny 2 gets some pretty big frame drops during some intense fights with a bunch of enemies and crap going on at the same time. Also games like Total War Warhammer2 in big battles, even BF1 in big battles sometimes slows down.

To be honest I haven't deep dived into the graphics menus to figure out what to turn on or off to gain some frames because especially in Destiny for the most part the game runs flawlessly.

I am thinking of upgrading to a 1440p monitor so I will definitely need a new video card when that happens.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2017, 10:07.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 09:37 Beamer

-------------

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 09:25 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 08:38 Beamer

-------------

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 07:59 Burrito of Peace

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 22:51 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 22:43:
Most likely yes.

Ouch.

This is more like the old prices, I'm very tempted to jump on that (for an i7 8700K). Strange that it's discounted.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 22:43 CJ_Parker

Most likely yes.  

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 22:39 Quboid

Oh, thanks. I can't blame manufacturers for wanting to make a enough money to stay in business. I wish I'd ordered a month ago and saved 50 (on 32GB DDR4 3Ghz), but I didn't expect prices to go up.

Is it likely to continue to go up?

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 22:16 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 21:05:
silicon costs continue to soar

Is that why RAM is so damn expensive? Every time I check it seems to have gone up in price again.

No, dude. RAM prices are going up because of the high demand for NAND flash memory (phones, tablets and shit). This affects RAM prices because the memory makers have downscaled DRAM production in favor of NAND production while demand for DRAM has risen especially in the professional sector (datacenters and all that crap).

As far as RAM is concerned, this is a healthy recovery though. It was nice for consumers, of course, to be able to buy RAM at prices below cost but some of the memory makers suffered big time from the slump. The prices have returned to (a little above maybe) normal now where the DRAM makers can actually make a healthy profit again.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 21:05 Quboid

silicon costs continue to soar

Is that why RAM is so damn expensive? Every time I check it seems to have gone up in price again.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo