Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Real Problem with 'Games as Service' Isn't the Microtransactions - WIRED.
"And yet I worry that the shift away from those open-world games to ones that try to keep players locked in with buyable weapons and power-ups will lead to fewer titles like Final Fantasy XI. (Final Fantasy XV is already becoming a type of a service game.) I worry that, in the push toward making games that can be broken up into a series of profitable chunks, game design that emphasizes sprawling geographies will be left by the wayside by major developers. I fear that big-budget places, with all of their majesty and complexity, might get cast aside. I worry that, one day, gaming might run out of travel stories to tell."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 15, 2017, 07:45 Bub

Its all over folks. PC gaming has gone full mass market, just like the web did. It was fun when it was populated by enthusiasts and first adopters, but once it became mainstream, the Korporations bought up everything and now put the screws on to squeeze out all they can from the mouth breathing, ill educated unwashed masses.  

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 15, 2017, 01:52 Suppa7

#  

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 15, 2017, 01:48 Suppa7

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 16:35:
Apples and oranges, man.

No you fool that's propaganda, there are private world of warcraft servers - aka there is no rational reason for companies to control the software only irrational people like you who buy every piece of corporate propaganda you are fed. You americans really are too stupid. The entire agenda of the corporate world in videogames is almost complete - to take control of videogame software away from you.

Look at what happened to quake - no level editor or dedicated servers, we now have "quake champions" There is no reason for quake champions to be a drm'd online f2p game that players don't control, the fact that people are so gullible they'd pay for unlocks in a game they don't control is proof that americans are dumb shits.

You reason by emotion not truth. Need for speed world online was just a fork of most wanted 2005. AKA the "MMO" game is a fucking scam, that's how we got drm to begin with.

The idea that they are different is bullshit. The fact is wow could easily have been entirely player controlled as proven by private servers.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11444122

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2017, 16:35 Cutter

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 13:56:
Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 12:24:
Than stop supporting the assholes doing it. How fucking hard is that?

Sorry to tell you that happened 20 years ago with the rise of ultima online, everquest and world of warcraft. Steam and mmo's like that paved the way for normalizing all this shit.

Once people "accepted" mmo's as not being fraudulently ripped of (paying monthly for a game you never own) the rest was inevitable.

WoW let us remember was the most successful mmo on the planet with 10 million plus people playing it, that is a lot of fucking stupid people. Non gamers were playing it which is why microtransactions became inevitable. People I know that were not computer literate were playing wow.

AKA the end of computer literate people being the bulk of game buyers stopped when computers and high speed internet became affordable for the masses of tech illiterate fools.

Apples and oranges, man. MMOs provide new content, constant changes, tweaks and balances. That's what you're paying for. A standalone game provides patches for issues and DLC sometimes free but mostly not. MMOs provide a lot of content for your money, generally a metric shit ton more than a standalone game. Hence the size of their budgets and the need to recoup that with more than a one time purchase. Not to mention staff, bandwith, hardware, etc. They are completely different things.

I don't have a problem paying for a service if it's something I want and feel it provides the value for the cost of said service - just most services don't IMO. And just because Blizzard does it and gets away with it doesn't mean everyone else does. I played WoW but I never bought any of their mounts or any of that scheisse. I do agree about Steam however. That was much more of a curse than a blessing. But that's really about governments in the pockets of corporations. At least in the EU or certain countries at any rate - Steam has to allow for customers to sell their games and get rid of them if they want. We should have those rights too, but that's on us and our political system, not Valve.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2017, 13:56 Suppa7

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 12:24:

Sorry to tell you that happened 20 years ago with the rise of ultima online, everquest and world of warcraft. Steam and mmo's like that paved the way for normalizing all this shit.

Once people "accepted" mmo's as not being fraudulently ripped of (paying monthly for a game you never own) the rest was inevitable.

WoW let us remember was the most successful mmo on the planet with 10 million plus people playing it, that is a lot of fucking stupid people. Non gamers were playing it which is why microtransactions became inevitable. People I know that were not computer literate were playing wow.

AKA the end of computer literate people being the bulk of game buyers stopped when computers and high speed internet became affordable for the masses of tech illiterate fools.

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2017, 13:03 Luke

But but it's so easy to click the buy button........

Lazy sheep's, "ehm I don't have time to play much so I want to buy all items now "........jezz

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2017, 12:24 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2017, 11:55 RedEye9

nomoreshite wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 10:58:
yes, eat that shit sandwich of transactions and dlc...and talk a load of bollocks to excuse the shit dribbling down your chin.
user name checks out

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2017, 10:58 nomoreshite

yes, eat that shit sandwich of transactions and dlc...and talk a load of bollocks to excuse the shit dribbling down your chin.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo