Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 22:32 CJ_Parker

NoScript web extension version should have been out today but there were last minute issues. The dev said it will come out at the end of this week now. Until then uBlock Origin is going to have to do but I'll grab NoScript instantly when the 57.x version goes live later this week.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 22:12 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 21:11:
Is browser performance anything more than a technical dickwagging contest between programmers? I mean my browser hasn't had trouble rendering pages instantly since like... 1995. (Netscape Navigator ftw.)

I can still tell browser performance differences between them and to me it matters based on how much I'm on the net and how much I have open. Edge is the fastest, albeit a limited addon scene and not a lot of settings. Previous Firefox degrades noticeably over time, the Reload addons became a thing for me. Actually right now Firefox Quantum feels quite a bit like Edge.

To other post: Yep the loss of Classic Theme Restorer, Round Tabs and Bookmark Icons without text, mess up my look part of it.

As said NoScript is out at least for now. But ublock and ghostery handle most of the need. There is another script blocker available now as well.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 21:11 NKD

Is browser performance anything more than a technical dickwagging contest between programmers? I mean my browser hasn't had trouble rendering pages instantly since like... 1995. (Netscape Navigator ftw.)  

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 20:47 Genesys

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 19:44:
Quantum seems more nimble certainly. We lost a lot of add-ons though, hopefully some make their way back to round it out.
Yeah, of course it's faster if you ditch the classic extension system. It's also a lot less flexible. Extensions I will miss: Adblock Plus's full interface, Classic Theme Restorer, DownThemAll, Mouse Gestures Suite, NewScrollBars, Saved Password Editor, SQLite Manager, Status4Evar, Tab Scope, and Toggle Word Wrap. I might stick with 56 or ESR for a while.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 20:16 Pigeon

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 19:44:
Quantum seems more nimble certainly. We lost a lot of add-ons though, hopefully some make their way back to round it out.

Agreed, hard to measure these things, but it seems a little quicker and smoother. Only thing I'm missing is no-script, but ublock does enough.

Two things bother me though, the frame that holds all the tabs is blue, while the works well when visiting Blue's it seems out of place everywhere else, I've not yet found a way to change it. Secondly when you used opened a new blank tab it displayed tiles of the websites you frequently visit. Now it shows a bunch of other garbage, which you can get rid of, but you're stuck with a limited number of small icons for you frequently visited sites.

Relatively minor complaints, which may have solutions if I do a bit more digging.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2017, 20:31.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 19:44 HorrorScope

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 18:47 jdreyer

Yeah, exactly. One of the reasons I cut the cord 12 years ago.  

Stay a while, and listen.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 16:02 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 15:29:
ESPN had a good racket going for decades. Now they actually have to justify their existence.

With the long term contracts they're in they mostly can't. They paid top dollar for live sports, top dollar due to the bidding wars. Dollars spent assuming their revenue was safe.

I've kind of hated ESPN for a long while, as I knew something like $8 of my monthly cable bill was going to them when I had no interest in them. At the same time, I knew that the channels I did watch were also subsidized by people that didn't watch them, but we're talking cents per month, not $8.

No sympathy, but it's interesting watching them implode because they made long term commitments and now the business model is changing around them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2017, 15:29 jdreyer

ESPN had a good racket going for decades. Now they actually have to justify their existence.  

Stay a while, and listen.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo