Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased

Presumably in response to the firestorm (including death threats) over the grind to unlock characters in Star Wars Battlefront II mentioned this morning, EA announces the Play First Trial was patched today in advance of the game's official release on Friday (thanks ASLayerAODsk). They explain that "change will be a constant" in presenting the game, and that today's changes reduce the amount of credits required to unlock characters by 75%. Here are the details, including word that they will hold an AMA on reddit on Wednesday to further discuss plans for the Star Wars action sequel:

Since the start of the project, listening to fans has been important in making sure Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II is the very best experience for all of you. We’ve done this with the closed alpha, through the beta last month, and our Play First Trial. And we continue to make adjustments based on your feedback as the game launches worldwide this week. Listening, and providing choices in how you play, will always be our principle with Star Wars Battlefront II. We want to ensure the game is balanced and fun both today and for years into the future.

Making games great comes from regular tuning. As one example, today we’re making a substantial change based on what we’ve seen during the Play First trial. There’s been a lot of discussion around the amount of in-game credits (and time) it takes to unlock some of our heroes, especially Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. Unlocking a hero is a great accomplishment in the game, something we want players to have fun earning. We used data from the beta to help set those levels, but it’s clear that more changes were needed.

So, we’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits; Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits; and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.

It's a big change, and it’s one we can make quickly. It will be live today, with an update that is getting loaded into the game.

We’ve also been listening to how much you’re loving features in the game (Starfighter Assault, 40 player MP battles, Darth Maul lightsaber throws, etc.) as well as what you haven’t liked. We know some of our most passionate fans, including those in our subreddit, have voiced their opinions, and we hear you. We’re making the changes to the credit levels for unlocking heroes and we’re going to keep making changes to improve the game experience over time. We welcome the conversation.

In fact, this Wednesday we’d like you to join us for a Reddit AMA with some of the key leads on our team. Stay tuned to our social channels for more info on the AMA, and our blog for continual updates on what we’re seeing, hearing and adjusting in the game.

For those of you already playing, thank you. For those of you looking forward to playing the Star Wars™ game you’ve been waiting for, thank you, too. The team is fully committed to listening to our community, continually adjusting the game, and providing even more great Star Wars content over the upcoming months and years of live service updates. More to come.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 13:20 Creston

Slick wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 03:23:
So the squad thing I'm starting to understand.

When you spawn, you spawn with up to 3 other people, it's basically a makeshift fireteam. And if you stay in proximity to each other you get battlepoints a lot faster. I haven't tested out if VoIP works within that squad thing yet, but for the moment most people just fuck off and lone wolf immediately. But I think once players start figuring out that it's a good idea to stick together we'll see more teamplay.

It's just a new mechanic that I don't think I've ever seen before in a game, so people haven't gotten used to it yet.

I actually like that mechanic, but in the ~ 8 or so games that I played in the beta, this was never, ever made clear anywhere. So everyone shits off to lone wolf, because they're never TOLD that sticking together is better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 13:16 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 00:42:
Comprehension is a rare commodity in a polarized discussion.

So is not being a patronizing dickweed, and it's something you fail at pretty fucking often these days. Enjoy talking to yourself and sucking EA's dick and "working" in your games while sitting in your little ivory tower gazing down on all the people who buy games to have fun.

27. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 11:20 nomoreshite

Kxmode wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 10:40:
NegaDeath wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 09:48:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 02:53:
99% of F2P MMOs for the past decade.

Give one example. One that has RNG dice roll skill progression, a 40 player cap, no connection between zones, and grouping/chat functions as limited as this game. If they're basically the same you should have dozens you can cite.

Do you understand what the word "basically" means? It definitely doesn't mean "literal" as you're implying. Please don't twist the meaning of my comment. I already answered your question in a basic manner.

think you need to understand this is $60 not F2P. stop trying to excuse them because it's starwars.

26. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 10:40 Kxmode

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 09:48:

Give one example. One that has RNG dice roll skill progression, a 40 player cap, no connection between zones, and grouping/chat functions as limited as this game. If they're basically the same you should have dozens you can cite.

Do you understand what the word "basically" means? It definitely doesn't mean "literal" as you're implying. Please don't twist the meaning of my comment. I already answered your question in a basic manner.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

25. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Nov 14, 2017, 09:48 NegaDeath

24. Re: Death Threats now come in loot boxes!! only $9.99 Nov 14, 2017, 07:45 MT Silver

Slick wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 02:57:
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Worse than I expected. It's not the end of the world, but it's not great.

At least they addressed the heroes thing, and they're right, Luke and Vader are sidegrades to the already unlocked Rey and Kylo. Chewbacca, Palpatine, and Leia are distinct heroes worth getting though, now at about 10 hours grind each.
(snip)
They also reduced rewards by 75% so you're getting just as assfucked as before.

23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 03:57 DangerDog

datachasm wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 02:16:
so on the fence...

BF2 is fun and looks amazing, scratches the 2142 itch for me, but awkwardly steps away from Battlefield, as an example land and space battles being separate matches when i think it would be better to have it all together. i guess we would now be on star citizens turf from a technical perspective, and people might even complain if it played more like a skinned Battlefield 1 where you found hero kits on the battlefield and vehicles were spawn points.

what really is odd is stripping out the squad stuff from Battlefield when Star Wars lore is all about squads and groups of friends, a really strange direction that makes no sense, but i guess these changes likely serve their stupid star card system or its an attempt to distance themselves from Battlefield.

if you could cross Dice's Battlefield gameplay with Respawns Titanfall 2 progression and handling of DLC (free to everyone and selling cosmetics) BF2 would easily be a 10/10.

with a leftover giftcard and Prime 20% off preorder im in for $32, a good deal, i guess im just a bit concerned what happens after this shitstorm, will the game expand or contract? not to mention the EA merry-go-round means this game might be redundant in 1 year and Battlefront 3 might be the only one worth owning.

also wanted to mention: some circle jerker on r/starcitizen has a thread going about how thankful he/she is about starcitizen with regards to this debacle, i thought i might mention here: does starcitizen share some of the blame? people sinking $1000's into that game it only makes sense game makers want some of that action, amirite?

I assume you're talking about getting the PC version, I don't think there will be another Battlefront game for quite awhile pretty sure they're focusing on an open world Star Wars game and very little of that is known. Next up is going to be another Battlefield game and one can speculate that it won't be 2143. I would think Bad Company 3 with some cross era WWII mixed with modern.

DICE will never make a Star Wars Battlefield game, the design for Battlefront is all about being casual enough that an 8 year old can play.

Don't expect the player population to remain crazy high for more than three or four months, that seems to be the general lifecycle for many multiplayer games on PC anyway. I wouldn't expect Lawbreakers level of failure.

22. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 03:23 Slick

datachasm wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 02:16:
so on the fence...

BF2 is fun and looks amazing, scratches the 2142 itch for me, but awkwardly steps away from Battlefield, as an example land and space battles being separate matches when i think it would be better to have it all together. i guess we would now be on star citizens turf from a technical perspective, and people might even complain if it played more like a skinned Battlefield 1 where you found hero kits on the battlefield and vehicles were spawn points.

what really is odd is stripping out the squad stuff from Battlefield when Star Wars lore is all about squads and groups of friends, a really strange direction that makes no sense, but i guess these changes likely serve their stupid star card system or its an attempt to distance themselves from Battlefield.

if you could cross Dice's Battlefield gameplay with Respawns Titanfall 2 progression and handling of DLC (free to everyone and selling cosmetics) BF2 would easily be a 10/10.

with a leftover giftcard and Prime 20% off preorder im in for $32, a good deal, i guess im just a bit concerned what happens after this shitstorm, will the game expand or contract? not to mention the EA merry-go-round means this game might be redundant in 1 year and Battlefront 3 might be the only one worth owning.

also wanted to mention: some circle jerker on r/starcitizen has a thread going about how thankful he/she is about starcitizen with regards to this debacle, i thought i might mention here: does starcitizen share some of the blame? people sinking $1000's into that game it only makes sense game makers want some of that action, amirite?

So the squad thing I'm starting to understand.

When you spawn, you spawn with up to 3 other people, it's basically a makeshift fireteam. And if you stay in proximity to each other you get battlepoints a lot faster. I haven't tested out if VoIP works within that squad thing yet, but for the moment most people just fuck off and lone wolf immediately. But I think once players start figuring out that it's a good idea to stick together we'll see more teamplay.

It's just a new mechanic that I don't think I've ever seen before in a game, so people haven't gotten used to it yet.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

21. Re: Death Threats now come in loot boxes!! only $9.99 Nov 14, 2017, 02:57 Slick

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Worse than I expected. It's not the end of the world, but it's not great.

At least they addressed the heroes thing, and they're right, Luke and Vader are sidegrades to the already unlocked Rey and Kylo. Chewbacca, Palpatine, and Leia are distinct heroes worth getting though, now at about 10 hours grind each.

The problem is that means you're not spending any credits on loot boxes, so all of the basic abilities remain unlocked for you.

It seems that getting scrap is the way to go, ie. getting the cheaper crates. you get I think 50 scrap per crate, maybe sometimes less. and basic abilities cost 40 scrap to unlock. so 4 rounds at 250-300 credits per round (about an hour of gameplay) should be enough to unlock each ability. But forget about upgrading them, as the cost gets alot worse.

I bought some packs, and I didn't really get shit. Seriously, so many green dupes. and dupes only give you credits back. so I'd maybe get 200 back on a 2000 cost crate. you don't get scrap for dupes.

At least most of the weapons are unlocked via progression (50 kills with class for the second gun, 3rd is loot crate, 4th is 500 kills)

But then you still need scrap or drops to get the mods for those weapons.

I mean it's grindy, it's not the end of the world, but it's not amazing.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

20. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Nov 14, 2017, 02:53 Kxmode

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:06:
Which MMO's are basically the same as this but with persistence?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

19. Death Threats now come in loot boxes!! only $9.99 Nov 14, 2017, 02:22 WitcherOntheProwl

Death threats over a game? It's only 60 dollars people.  

18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 02:16 datachasm

so on the fence...

17. Re: Into the Black Nov 14, 2017, 01:06 NegaDeath

Kxmode wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 00:42:
Comprehension is a rare commodity in a polarized discussion. My exact words were "SWBF2 multiplayer is basically an MMO without the persistence of one."

Which MMO's are basically the same as this but with persistence?

16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 00:42 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:34:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:55:
Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:43:
Edit: AAAAAAND then I see the post quoted below by ninemil, where there is graphical evidence that earning credits is now TIME GATED?? Possibly only in Arcade mode, but even so, fuck you, EA. Fuck you and your "SIXTY DOLLARS ISN'T ENOUGH! WE MUST BLEED YOU DRY WHEREVER WE CAN!" attitude. Fuck you to hell.

Some of you have thrown reason out the window. SWBF2 multiplayer is basically an MMO without the persistence of one. So how is this different from dailies and time-gated material in other MMO/multiplayer games?

Oh, it's just an MMO? Well, clearly, that makes it all better then.

Comprehension is a rare commodity in a polarized discussion. My exact words were "SWBF2 multiplayer is basically an MMO without the persistence of one."

15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 13, 2017, 23:45 DangerDog

https://stevivor.com/reviews/star-wars-battlefront-2-review/  

14. Re: Into the Black Nov 13, 2017, 21:56 NegaDeath

So they respond to freemium grind criticisms by.....implementing freemium "stamina" limits. It's like watching a comedian continue a bad set well after the audience started booing.  

13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 13, 2017, 21:55 ninemil

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:49:
Oh so there's an AMA in two days, lmfao, no wonder they were in such a hurry to pacify that crowd.
Read back through the comments. They haven't pacificed anyone who's paying attention.

12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 13, 2017, 21:53 ninemil

Edit: AAAAAAND then I see the post quoted below by ninemil, where there is graphical evidence that earning credits is now TIME GATED??
Also worth a read. This was posted the day before the rep announced that they'd 'listened to feedback, and adjusted accordingly.'

I don't think he's seen the 75% reward reduction to realise just how right he was.

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 13, 2017, 21:49 jacobvandy

Oh so there's an AMA in two days, lmfao, no wonder they were in such a hurry to pacify that crowd. Probably still at least a 50/50 chance it's a bloodbath, though.  

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 13, 2017, 21:34 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:55:
Edit: AAAAAAND then I see the post quoted below by ninemil, where there is graphical evidence that earning credits is now TIME GATED?? Possibly only in Arcade mode, but even so, fuck you, EA. Fuck you and your "SIXTY DOLLARS ISN'T ENOUGH! WE MUST BLEED YOU DRY WHEREVER WE CAN!" attitude. Fuck you to hell.

Some of you have thrown reason out the window. SWBF2 multiplayer is basically an MMO without the persistence of one. So how is this different from dailies and time-gated material in other MMO/multiplayer games?

Oh, it's just an MMO? Well, clearly, that makes it all better then.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo