Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

"One-Trick" Overwatch Player Bans?

A thread on reddit discusses a ban handed down to a Torbjörn main in Overwatch which is apparently connected to his unwillingness to switch to a different character (thanks PCGamesN). The banned player, Fuey500, took his case to Twitter, saying, "Please unban me I am a high elo one trick who does not do anything wrong I am a wholesome boi. Thanks!" Blizzard responded, indicating they are struggling to decide how this fits with their vague guideline about playing nice. Then, somewhat confusingly, they followed up with another post explaining that the bans in question were for abuse beyond simply being a "one-trick pony," though it's hard to see how this relates to the Fuey500 case. Here's word:

After investigating a number of the cases that have been surfaced over the past 24 hours, we can confirm that the system is working as intended.

None of these were simple cases of “one tricking” or off-meta hero selection. These were examples of behavior intended to disrupt Competitive Play. As such, the punishments will stand.

To be clear, specializing in certain heroes or playing off-meta heroes is not bad behavior on its own. In fact, we actively encourage people to be clever with their team comps and work with their teammates to counter the enemy comp. Teamwork is important and should be considered when making your hero selections, especially in Competitive Play.

We take these kinds of reports very seriously, along with your feedback. We’ll continue to fine-tune our systems, and we apologize for any confusion about the way that these policies have been communicated.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 12:43 Retired

all the lawlz  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 10:21 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 09:23:
Basically, all online game communities suck.
All open, non-monitored online game communities suck. However, this only mirrors offline communities. There's a good reason most everyone has a group of friends they like to spend their time with...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 09:23 Beamer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 08:54:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:08:
Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:04:
So only one person per character in overwatch?

And Wtf is a non meta hero?

Yep, on a 6 man team you can't have any hero duplicates.
"Off-meta" means something different that what the competitive community considers the ideal team composition given attacking or defending, the map, and other factors.

ROFL! Wow, I'm glad I skipped Overwatch, that's insane. I thought the player community was bad in Diablo 3, and I played almost exclusively solo. That sort of rigid thinking nonsense makes Battlefield 1 look practically Utopian by comparison. Different games I know, but still.

I mean, the alternate solution sounds like don't play competitive. The CSGo community is kind of annoying in competitive. And actually more annoying in not-competitive.

Basically, all online game communities suck.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 08:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

Sepharo wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:08:

"Off-meta" means something different that what the competitive community considers the ideal team composition given attacking or defending, the map, and other factors.

ROFL! Wow, I'm glad I skipped Overwatch, that's insane. I thought the player community was bad in Diablo 3, and I played almost exclusively solo. That sort of rigid thinking nonsense makes Battlefield 1 look practically Utopian by comparison. Different games I know, but still.

11. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 07:15 Vio

Sepharo wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:52:
Vio wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:18:
Why don't they just quit the game and join another one till their hero is available?

You're penalized for leaving competitive games.
But I mean only for elo right?

10. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 06:16 Mordhaus

Yifes wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:58:
Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:50:
You bought this game with 60 dollars, but if you play a hero we don't want you to play, we'll ban you. Is that it? Who gives a shit which character the guy plays??

Teamwork is important and should be considered when making your hero selections

So if everybody wants you to play fucking Widowmaker, you better play Widowmaker? Even if you suck at it? Even if you only have fun playing Torbjorn? That's fucking bullshit.

Not like that at all. The people in question were essentially afking or trolling if someone else took their hero. Don't be a giant dick and you won't get banned for one-tricking.

Wrong. Fuey was banned because another player got upset that they lost to his team. On the next match, that player insta-locked fuey's normal character, all the while bad mouthing fuey. Fuey then swapped to his backup character and simply played as normal. Immediately after that match, he was banned.

Blizzard has multiple threads open with around 5-6 thousand replies asking them to clarify their vague comments about the ban. Fuey has asked for clarification and had his thread locked, simply told they will discuss it with him via email.

Blizzard has, in it's own report system, the comment that you cannot be banned simply for picking the character you want to play. Yet their comments and actions have left a huge gray area as to whether this is true. So far, they refuse to come out with a clear statement.

That is the problem.

9. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 03:01 Slick

That's honestly why I stopped playing OW, got sick and tired of having strangers shout in my ear or in chat that I'm playing the "wrong" character".

Some people man...

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

8. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 01:52 Sepharo

Vio wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:18:
Why don't they just quit the game and join another one till their hero is available?

You're penalized for leaving competitive games.

7. Re: Nov 14, 2017, 01:18 Vio

6. Re: Nov 13, 2017, 21:08 Sepharo

5. Re: Nov 13, 2017, 21:06 Beamer

-------------

4. Re: Nov 13, 2017, 21:04 Beamer

Yifes wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:58:
You bought this game with 60 dollars, but if you play a hero we don't want you to play, we'll ban you. Is that it? Who gives a shit which character the guy plays??

So if everybody wants you to play fucking Widowmaker, you better play Widowmaker? Even if you suck at it? Even if you only have fun playing Torbjorn? That's fucking bullshit.

Not like that at all. The people in question were essentially afking or trolling if someone else took their hero. Don't be a giant dick and you won't get banned for one-tricking.

-------------

3. Re: Nov 13, 2017, 21:03 Sepharo

Nobody has ever locked Zen before me...

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Sepharo-1760

2. Re: Nov 13, 2017, 20:58 Yifes

1. Re: Nov 13, 2017, 20:50 Creston

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo