Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints

This now-locked thread on reddit shares more pre-release player dissatisfaction with Star Wars Battlefront II, kicking off a series of complaints about the upcoming game's grind (thanks ASLayerAODsk). The original poster says they will seek a refund for their eighty-dollar Deluxe Edition since it will still require unlocking characters (specifically Darth Vader in this case). A subsequent thread notes that the response from the EA Community Team has inspired a reddit record number of downvotes for suggesting players should take pride in the grind. Here is the post, which has well over a quarter-million downvotes, and counting:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

92. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 19, 2017, 06:59 Muscular Beaver

Kxmode wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 00:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 22:11:
And as a veteran gamer (although I think everyone here is a veteran gamer) I think games should be fun, not work

I agree with that. There's a balance to know where fun becomes work and visa versa. I will say that there are things I would love to have in a game that the work to obtain has rendered all but impossible. Case in point, a GW2 legendary. I still don't own one. However, I've never felt compelled to complain to ArenaNet about the difficulty of obtaining a precursor, nor the time associated with creating one. For those that do have one, they remain scarce, and for that reason, they have high value. If Anet were to ever make them common they would lose their value. That will happen with those unlockable heroes and skills in SWBF2 multiplayer.
And yet legendaries in GW2 are only cosmetic. Not even vaguely comparable with this.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 14, 2017, 00:56 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 22:11:
And as a veteran gamer (although I think everyone here is a veteran gamer) I think games should be fun, not work

I agree with that. There's a balance to know where fun becomes work and visa versa. I will say that there are things I would love to have in a game that the work to obtain has rendered all but impossible. Case in point, a GW2 legendary. I still don't own one. However, I've never felt compelled to complain to ArenaNet about the difficulty of obtaining a precursor, nor the time associated with creating one. For those that do have one, they remain scarce, and for that reason, they have high value. If Anet were to ever make them common they would lose their value. That will happen with those unlockable heroes and skills in SWBF2 multiplayer.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

90. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 22:39 The Half Elf

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:42:
Jagacademy wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:11:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:46:
Someone tell Jagacademy I was too busy loot boxing his mom to make an appearance before now.

D&D name, picture of a Transformer, mom insults...textbook example of every 12 year old who gets on the internet for the first time.

Just leave Half Elf alone!!!

Bawling

Actually it's from Everquest, not a Transformer picture, but an AUTOBOT Symbol, and not mom insults, it was an insult only about YOUR mom. By the way she's a lovely creature, she would make EA/WB proud.

BTW if anyone has a mother (regardless of age) who needs a couch snuggle buddy to watch romantic comedies with, need their toe nails painted or a amazing back massage, all the while having a man actually listen to them and pay attention to them without the need to feel sexually pressured later (I will take payment in home cooked meals, AND I will do the dishes), then please have them contact me via this site. (Maybe this is why women get pissed to find out I'm gay cause I actually treat them decently... *shrugs*).

jd.... do not go Chris Cocker on me!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

89. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 22:11 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 17:11:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 17:03:
Jagacademy wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 16:58:
Disney is probably rethinking this EA partnership at the moment. Tomorrow's headline "Disney attempting to profit off of underage gambling" isn't something they are going to be thrilled about seeing.

The topic isn't about gambling. It's about people complaining about the perceived grind to unlock heroes. The complaints scream laziness.

It took me several days to get a griffon mount in GW2: Path of Fire (it was hard but not impossible). 4 hours to get the legendary Isu Armor in AC: Origins.

TL;DR People don't want to work for things. They want stuff handed to them for no effort.

More like you didn't understand the unlock system in place here before commenting. These "unlocks" include stuff like recoil reduction and health regen delay times and actual abilities (aka grenades, jetpacks, force powers etc.). Those are not visual fluff things, those are game changing things.

And GW2 and AC: Origins are not competitive shooters

Doesn't matter what genre of gaming I pick for comparison. Every type of game has rare and difficult items that should be hard to obtain. If someone wants to unlock Darth Maul or Kylo Ren then they should work hard for those heroes. Their appearance is devalued the moment EA makes it easy to obtain them. If it means grinding in a multiplayer FPS, then so be it. If someone really wants it, they'll do the work.

You strike me as a veteran gamer who is keenly aware of this stuff. I shouldn't need to clarify my comment.

Gated progression isn't bad, not even unwanted in MP shooters, that is true... in fact it's a great motivational factor, but something in Battlefield 4 and BattleFront 2 beta offended me so badly that I needed to voice it. It feels like.. someone is holding a sign in my face that says "You don't like shitty grind? Enter credit card details here" and given that this is EA, this is probably exactly why this system works the way it does. For BF4 the shining example... is the UCAV, you never heard of it? That's because barely anyone knows it exists, it's hard to unlock and if you don't know your stuff you will have no clue what it does... it's however, the best heli pilot | sniper camper | and BF4 noob killing weapon in the game.

And the joke is, after you unlocked a hero (say, it's the first thing you do because you REALLY wanna play as Leia or whatever within a round after doing well...) you don't get any abilities with that unlock. Abilities you only get out of loot chests. After you got them, you then have to use scrap points to UPGRADE the abilities to higher rarities, making them flat out superior (linear increase in % stats) to common tier abilities.

Either way, I get what you meant, unlocking stuff should be some form of challenge, but you can make it fun and motivating to unlock it, or you can make it feel like a nightmare grind from hell. And before this change it was most definitely that, 200 credits per round and 60000c to unlock Vader, WITHOUT ABILITIES, that was a bad joke. You gonna be stuck without abilities for your fancy heroes for dozens of hours.... potentially 50+ hours of game time if you got unlucky chest drops.

88. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:53 Kxmode

DangerDog wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:20:
Well good news everyone, EA / DICE have caved.

So, we’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits; Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits; and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.

"Well, there it is" - Jeff Goldblum

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

87. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:42 jdreyer

Jagacademy wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:11:
Someone tell Jagacademy I was too busy loot boxing his mom to make an appearance before now.

D&D name, picture of a Transformer, mom insults...textbook example of every 12 year old who gets on the internet for the first time.

Just leave Half Elf alone!!!

Bawling

Stay a while, and listen.

86. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:38 jdreyer

Wait. You're bi?

85. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:37 Dacote

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:30:
Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:27:

I know what you meant, I've just never, ever seen someone say that they want their games to be work.

I play games to get away from work.
Wait. Are you suggesting that games are supposed to be... entertaining?
This thread on a gaming site is more entertaining than grinding 5 hours for a silly mount... But I digress.

84. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:30 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:27:

I know what you meant, I've just never, ever seen someone say that they want their games to be work.

I play games to get away from work.
Wait. Are you suggesting that games are supposed to be... entertaining?

83. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:20 DangerDog

Well good news everyone, EA / DICE have caved.

So, we’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits; Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits; and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.

82. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:13 Kxmode

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:05:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:53:
EA: "The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes." Got a quarter-million downvotes, and counting.

That sums up what I'm talking about.

Yes, exactly. A sense of pride and accomplishment...which I'm fully behind not giving people for buying the Deluxe Edition but when they offer shortcuts to get there it does come off as disingenuous.

There's a disgusting amount of cheaters in gaming these days, especially with FPS MOBAs. I think this is a symptom of society living at a time where they don't have to wait for things. It's pure laziness.

81. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:11 Jagacademy

80. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:07 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:52:
I like indy gaming.

Forrest Gump over here has the right idea!

(not meaning that as an insult, I'm being serious...I'm tired of this crap)

79. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:05 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:53:
EA: "The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes." Got a quarter-million downvotes, and counting.

Yes, exactly. A sense of pride and accomplishment...which I'm fully behind not giving people for buying the Deluxe Edition but when they offer shortcuts to get there it does come off as disingenuous.

78. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:04 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:34:
This entire thread is about a Redditer saying they plan on cancelling their $80 Deluxe Edition preorder because it still requires work to unlock hero characters (specifically Darth Vader in this case). That's specifically what I am addressing here.

My point is people who behave like that are "children" because they feel they are entitled to those characters merely because they paid $80 for the Deluxe Edition. To expect pricier editions come with rarer characters would immediately create an unfair advantage for basic preorders versus higher tiered preorders. That's called Pay 2 Win. EA is all kinds of things but I'm pretty sure they would never introduce P2W in preorder tiers. That's not good business.

Fair enough, you're right. There's plenty of genuine concerns about what EA is doing with BF2 but this specific Reddit post is as you say. Of course it quickly branched out into other things...

77. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 18:57 Kxmode

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:52:
My point is people who behave like that are "children" because they feel they are entitled to those characters merely because they paid $80 for the Deluxe Edition. To expect pricier editions come with rarer characters would immediately create an unfair advantage for basic preorders versus higher tiered preorders. That's called Pay 2 Win. EA is all kinds of things but I'm pretty sure they would never introduce P2W in preorder tiers. That's not good business.

Is there a price you can out-right buy Darth Vader? Even if it is based on loot boxes? If so, then entitlement or not, it is this person with $80 just didn't have enough. I like indy gaming.

AFAIK those heroes are pretty OP. So making them part of a higher priced preorder is P2W. I think the complaints against that would be even more vocal. Someone who spends $80 shouldn't have an advantage over someone who spends $60. But that's the gist of the complaint. The person seriously thought by dropping $80 for higher tiered preorder that that would somehow entitle them to a OP character in multiplayer without doing the work for it. I call that the Star Citizen syndrome with ship purchases. If that game ever goes live the amount of OP tomfoolery is going to be off the scale.

76. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 18:53 Kxmode

75. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 18:52 HorrorScope

Is there a price you can out-right buy Darth Vader? Even if it is based on loot boxes? If so, then entitlement or not, it is this person with $80 just didn't have enough. I like indy gaming.

74. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 18:46 The Half Elf

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 10:51:
Jagacademy wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 10:40:
Counting down the minutes until Half-Elf and Dark come in here to defend this.
I paid $80 to unlock vader, ha ha ha
It's a bargain at twice the price.
Luke said "and the lambs go baa-sheep to the slaughter house"

And I ain't defending shit. I'll wait for the game to hit 20 bucks, enjoy the single player campaign and pray for EA's 10 year agreement on the Star Wars license to end.

*goes back to Destiny 2 and AC Origins*

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

73. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 18:42 HorrorScope

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 14:34:
They are going to do what they do.

We all have a choice to make.

Asking them to change isn't happening.

And with that, pretty much thread.

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo