Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Our plan to move drags on, and I recently ratted out MrsBlue for obstructing the process. But there have been complications along the way as well. We recently got some water in our basement, something that's only happened a few times since we've lived here. This coincidentally came after we removed some ratty old paneling down there which exposed a crack in the foundation. This probably sounds worse than it is, but it did require a repair involving digging up the earth around the crack on the outside and patching it up with cement and a layer of tar. The good news is that the mason who's doing this actually had nothing but good things to say about the brickwork on our 90 year-old house, pointing out that brick houses tend to have relatively harmless cracks from settling around the windows, and we have nothing at all like that here. The bad news is they are working on this right now, and I never would have imagined how distracting and aggravating the clamor of their work would be. It basically seems like someone has been hitting the side of the house with a sledgehammer every few seconds, and it's starting to drive me crazy (okay, crazier). Hopefully they'll be done soon.

R.I.P.: Liz Smith, Longtime Queen of Tabloid Gossip Columns, Dies at 94.

Bricked Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Bicycle Kick Master.
Links: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
R.E.M. Reflects On 25 Years Of 'Automatic For The People.' Thanks RedEye9.
Dupes gather at sold-out Flat Earth International Conference. Fly in from all around across the world.
Stories: Finally! Someone Is Crowdfunding a Statue for the First Cat in Space.
Headline fail: Alabama Republicans divided over 'sex clams.'
Science: Visual intelligence is not the same as IQ. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Semi Truck Stops Amazingly Fast In An Emergency. Don't watch if you have a heart condition.
PYRAMIDHEAD - Cuphead meets Silent Hill! - YouTube!
CarMax's answer to the guy's ad for his fiancé's used Honda.
Follow-up: ‘Deadwood’ Revival Looking At Fall 2018 Production Start Date.
The Funnies: Smarta - FoxTrot.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2017, 16:08 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 16:53:
Hmm, I remember "The Thing" being okay, but the greatest horror film ever? Then again, I've never really been a horror movie person. That said, I think I'd have to give "The Shining" my GOAT tag. I'll set the DVR to catch "The Thing" next time it is on, and get a refresher...
The Shining is also a masterpiece. I guess I'd have a hard time choosing between them. Other great horror films: Let The Right One In, Cabin in the Woods, The Babadook. I was never a fan of the serial killer ( Jason, Halloween) genre, nor of gore horror. I have yet to see The Conjuring or It, both are very good I hear.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2017, 10:27 RedEye9

1951's "The Thing from Another World" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/
Scientists and American Air Force officials fend off a bloodthirsty alien organism while at a remote arctic outpost.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2017, 08:11 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:39:
She's expressing misgivings about her job, but it seems pretty apparent that this is really because of her misgivings about moving, and there's no blaming her for that. She is pretty much of two minds about everything in general, so that doesn't help. She claims that's because she's a Gemini, but I'm a Scorpio, and we don't believe in astrology.
Completely understandable even without the astrology. Moving is right near the top on the "things which cause the most stress" list. It even affects me despite having been a military brat. There was no place I thought of as "home" until my dad retired out of the service when I was in the 7th grade. But I've lived in that area since then minus the time I was in the USAF. And frankly, can't imagine permanently moving away from there.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2017, 00:17 Nucas

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 16:53:
Hmm, I remember "The Thing" being okay, but the greatest horror film ever? Then again, I've never really been a horror movie person. That said, I think I'd have to give "The Shining" my GOAT tag. I'll set the DVR to catch "The Thing" next time it is on, and get a refresher...

john carpenter's greatest contribution to comedy horror was Ghosts of Mars; i highly recommend it. just not for money. bring beer.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 21:44 Hoop

I came back.
Thanks Blue.
I added a 32 gb stick of Intel Optane https://goo.gl/2cFoYs to boost the 2 terabyte Hdd, love it.
Windows on ssd games to hdd it's pretty snappy.

Um .. Behind you...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 20:12  Blue 

Dacote wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:49:
She claims that's because she's a Gemini, but I'm a Scorpio, and we don't believe in astrology.
What sign does your pup fall under? Use the traits of the Gunnar man, it's the only way to be sure.

Gunnar is more Scorpio than I am. He was born on November 2nd, and I was born on the 21st, which is technically on the cusp of Sagittarius.

Though all kidding aside, I really don't follow astrology.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 19:57 RedEye9

KezClone wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:45:
Saw that Semi-truck Stops video yesterday and had a nightmare last night about it being my kids. No joke. Won't watch that shit again.
Those kids can thank a quick acting truck driver and I'm willing to bet a lite load if any.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 19:49 Dacote

She claims that's because she's a Gemini, but I'm a Scorpio, and we don't believe in astrology.
What sign does your pup fall under? Use the traits of the Gunnar man, it's the only way to be sure.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 19:45 KezClone

Saw that Semi-truck Stops video yesterday and had a nightmare last night about it being my kids. No joke. Won't watch that shit again.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 18:39  Blue 

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 10:43:
I asked this before but didn't receive an answer (possibly because it was simply lost in the multitude of posts on the site) so, I'll ask again..
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 13:27:
Are her misgivings about the new job or just the prospect of having to move? Is she currently working remotely for her new job? Whatever the answers, your approach seems sound. Although I've literally never been the marrying type, it has always seemed to me the cliche "Happy wife, happy life." was good guidance.

She's expressing misgivings about her job, but it seems pretty apparent that this is really because of her misgivings about moving, and there's no blaming her for that. She is pretty much of two minds about everything in general, so that doesn't help. She claims that's because she's a Gemini, but I'm a Scorpio, and we don't believe in astrology.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 16:53 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 16:34 VaranDragon

The Thing is one of my all time favorite films. Here is an award winning short story, based on the film, from the perspective of the alien, called "The Things" by Peter Watts. It's a weird mindfuck, but highly recommended:

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

9. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 16:23 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 15:01:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 14:56:
It's a prequel, not a remake. It's what happened before the opening of the original where the Norwegians are shooting at the dog.

You're right, its been a long time since I saw it. Regardless of the label I didn't enjoy it as much.

There were a few dumb things like the creature just exploding out of the ice, but it was otherwise serviceable. Not as good as the original, but I appreciated the largely Norwegian cast and how it cleverly dovetails with the original.

And yes, the original is a masterpiece, probably the greatest horror movie ever. And amazing that it largely holds up. Tried watching with my HS daughter a few months ago, and she had to turn it off when the dog started wandering around creepily. The tension was just too much. And that's before any of the gore starts!

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 15:01 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 14:56:
It's a prequel, not a remake. It's what happened before the opening of the original where the Norwegians are shooting at the dog.

You're right, its been a long time since I saw it. Regardless of the label I didn't enjoy it as much.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

7. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 14:56 Burrito of Peace

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:11:
The 2011 (re)remake isn't bad per se but the introduction of a female character ruins a lot of the alpha male tension and paranoia which made Carpenters so excellent. It's serviceable but not really good.

6. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 11:48 El Pit

MajorD wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 10:43:
'The Thing' is one of my favorite John Carpenter films, and this is a great article/link.

+1 The Thing was a gorefest, but much more it was extremely exciting. Mild science fiction and hard horror put in a blender - perfect mix!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 11:38 Cutter

Flat Earth conference? Good grief. Let me guess they also had panels on phrenology, alchemy, and astrology. Rolleyes Do none of those flat-heads realize how many people would have to be in on this "conspiracy"? And ultimately, to what end? Boggles the fucking mind!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 11:29 Pigeon

Brown pants all around on that truck video. I'm guessing that's not a school bus, even though those looks like a bunch of school kids unloading? I can't imagine Norway not having some basic safety laws regarding the unloading of school buses.  

3. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 11:11 Verno

MajorD wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 10:43:
'The Thing' is one of my favorite John Carpenter films, and this is a great article/link.

I just watched it again the other day with a friend who had never seen it before. Still holds up amazingly well.

The 2011 (re)remake isn't bad per se but the introduction of a female character ruins a lot of the alpha male tension and paranoia which made Carpenters so excellent. It's serviceable but not really good.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

2. Re: John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’: The Story of an SF Horror Game-Changer. Nov 13, 2017, 10:43 MajorD

Still counting...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo