Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue accidentally hit the back of her hand last week, and ended up with a painful swollen bruise as a result. At first we thought it might be broken, and set up an appointment with an orthopedist. We decided to keep this even when her hand was feeling better, and it turns out this was a good decision. Though she didn't break any bones, she apparently managed to rupture a sagittal band, an injury known as "boxer's knuckle." She's in a splint for the next month or so, which we're told should help this to heal. Interestingly, we're also told that if she had put off seeing the doctor too long, this would have likely have led to her needing a surgical repair. I'm trying to take a lesson from that, because if it was my injury, I surely would have talked myself into a wait-and-see approach, ensuing surgery and all. Yikes!

Injured Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Dino Survival.
Link: Apparently Mini Kegs of Ranch Dressing Exist. Thanks RedEye9.
Stories: The unforgettable moment a widow touched the face that once belonged to her husband.
The world's biggest grave robbery: Asia’s disappearing WWII shipwrecks. Thanks RedEye9.
Disneyland shuts down 2 cooling towers after Legionnaires' disease sickens park visitors. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: Giving agriculture a global do-over could feed nearly a billion more people.
Prehistoric, Dinosaur-Era Shark With Insane Teeth Found Swimming Off Coast of Portugal.
These crabs can grow up to 3 feet - and hunt birds, a biologist's video proves.
Media: How a high quality chef knife is made with Anthony Bourdain. Though you can also make them with steel.
The Little Plane War.
Irish Flight Delayed.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2017, 15:09 RedEye9

fishingtime wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 19:30:
derp
It's difficult to pack that much stupidity and ignorance into one post but you manage to do it time after time. impressive

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 19:30 fishingtime

the doctor was exaggerating  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 15:40 eRe4s3r

What that knife dude showed is actually the basic way steel is made.... that extra step (with the molten salt) is likely a variation of the Linz–Donawitz-steelmaking process. Which controls the carbon content and distribution when you have pig-iron as a source. (which is the source of all steel today...) the reason you don't see that in normal steel is that modern steel factories have this process down to the nano scale. You do not see any patterns because patterns are actually controlled and unwanted (because they create micro-fissures, important for stuff like train wheels)....

Just so it's clear,
steel is iron with 1% to 2.14% carbon
pig iron is iron with 3.5 to 4.5% carbon

Getting to exactly 2.14% or lower (but within +1% was impossible in Japanese furnaces, hence folding and that weird manufacturing process. The only reason that knife is sharp is that the edges was tempered. You can get the same effect off any blade you own, if you had a fine-grained whetstone (to sharpen, for running cuts) and a cow-leather surface (to temper, for push cuts). And yes, that whetstone is the only thing you really need if you want a sharp knife ( you can temper on your shoes if you want). Sadly you will likely go insane finding a "real" correctly grained whetstone nowadays.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 10:11 Creston

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 16:47:
Saw this bumper sticker on reddit, thought people here would appreciate.

I'll vote for that!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 09:56 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 21:43:
Blue, condolences on the sufficating embrassment of the NY Giants losing to previously winless San Francisco 49ers....

I was just about to post that haha.

Playing: Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Vermintide 2
Watching: Annihilation, The Quiet Place, A Dark Song

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 21:43 Mr. Tact

Blue, condolences on the sufficating embrassment of the NY Giants losing to previously winless San Francisco 49ers....  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 19:34 Mr. Tact

Amen!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 19:33 Cutter

Good to see Mrs. Blue isn't afraid to give him a taste of the back of her hand. Cowboy

And those crabs? Goddamn! Poor bird, man.

And given all the machinery the guy uses to make those knives I don't feel that really qualifies as "hand crafted". And all the jive about chef knives is just that, jive. Just watch any Chinese chef and his mad skills with plain ol' stainless steel clever. Yeah, you need a good, sharp blade, but you don't need some several thousand dollar meteorite or Damascus steel blade. That's just vanity. Check this Chinese chef out and what he can do to tofu with a simple clever. Crazy mad skills, brah!

Discovering Chinese Cuisine Part 2 - Culinary knife skills Check it at the 1 min mark. Holy shit check out the madness at the 19 min mark. Debones and stuff 2 other birds into another one all with a fucking clever! Actually that vid is part of a whole series that looks interesting. I'm gonna' watch all of it.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2017, 19:55.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 19:03 SlimRam

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 16:33:
So the old lady was smackin' ya around again, eh Blue? She musta whacked you good to rupture a sagittal band!
Yup, that's how my wife usually shows affection. Anything less than a broke tooth or ruptured testicle is usually just considered a love tap.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 17:03 Dacote

that even beats
https://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/giant-meteor-2016-bumper-sticker-3.jpg

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 16:47 NKD

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 16:33 jdreyer

So the old lady was smackin' ya around again, eh Blue? She musta whacked you good to rupture a sagittal band!  

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 14:08 RedEye9

I wonder if Anthony got the knife just for chopping the vegetables, seems like a fair trade.

I'm guessing the iron in a meteorite would also be low-background much like pre-nuclear explosion steel in WWII shipwrecks.

Wife's hand, wow. Good call on keeping the appointment.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo