Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Season 12 Underway

Battle.net announces that Season 12 for Diablo III is now underway, offering new incentives and rewards for replaying the action/RPG again. This previously posted preview has all the details on what this involves, and here's part of the overview:

Season Journey Rewards
If you’ve been playing the past few Seasons diligently and reached Conqueror in the Season Journey each time, you’ve accrued a few extra stash tabs. Players who have not yet earned a total of four stash tabs via the Season Journey can still unlock an additional one by completing the following tasks at the Conqueror tier:

• Complete a Torment XIII Rift in under 5 minutes
  • Complete Greater Rift 60 solo
  • Kill Greed on Torment XIII
  • Kill Spider Queen on Torment XIII in under 15 seconds
  • Reforge a Legendary or Set item
  • Augment an Ancient item with a Level 50 or greater Legendary Gem
  • Level three Legendary Gems to 55
  • Complete two Conquests

Seasonal Conquests
Speaking of Conquests, we’re rotating those, too! Love going fast while killing things? Boss Mode and Worlds Apart will be making a return. On A Good Day and I Can’t Stop are also available, if leveling Legendary Gems is more your thing. If you’d rather max out your kill count with Cursed Chests, Curses! and Stars Align will be right up your alley. Those who enjoy seeing how far they can go without Set Items will get a kick out of The Thrill and Super Human. Finally, if you’re keen to show off your mastery of various Class Sets, Years of War and Dynasty will be available for you to attempt once more.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 13, 2017, 13:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, sorry to hear you didn't like Grim Dawn, Creston.

Inquisitor/Demolitionist and no Grenado/Flashbang/Pipe Bomb on RMB?

If you're level 59, and still in Normal mode, turn on Veteran(checkbox in the Difficulty window, before you load a character), it should improve drops some, at the cost of increasing difficulty.

30 minute kiting might mean you have to juggle your skills up some, especially in Normal, you should be able to burn down pretty much any boss with Firestrike/Grenado. Inquisitor can easily be built with mostly passives to your LMB skill, so I can't argue much there. I don't have a high level Inq build yet, so I can't point out the uber build at the moment, but Demolitionist is a damage king anyway.

Just get Grenado or Mortar Trap and/or 1pt Flashbang/Canister Bomb for stun spam and Devotion Triggers. Grenado might seem weak at first but it quickly ramps up in damage with a few points and passives like Flame Touched and Ulzuin's Chosen.

I'm assuming you have Word of Renewal as your other active skill? Healing can be picked up on the Devotion tree REALLY easily, I highly recommend you switch WoR for Grenado or Mortar Trap, then decide if you're going to be fire/physical/lightning and go from there.

Certain bosses/quests should be a gauranteed legendary drop at 50 plus, unless they changed something drastically, also at 50+ any One-Shot chest or Dynamite chest can drop legendaries. I also recommend putting on Veteran mode if you're mostly steamrolling Normal, it'll increase drop rates also. I believe the Loghorrean quest(the last boss in vanilla) has a 100% chance of a legendary item when you turn it in, and his 3 chests are also increased legendary chance.

It won't help now, but Drop rates also increase in Elite and Ultimate of course.

If all of that fails to help, well, you are allowed to not like Grim Dawn.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 13, 2017, 10:17 Creston

Played Grim Dawn for about 40 hours. Very little skill use, most skills are just + to this, and + to that. So hope you enjoy holding the left mouse button, because that's roughly all you will be doing about 99.99999% of the time. My Inquisitior/Demolitionist uses exactly one skill, which is a heal. The rest is auto-trigger off of default attacks. It doesn't make for very varied gameplay.

(and before people go "Why didn't you pick any skills then??", there really just aren't that many active ones to pick from, and most of them are pretty pointless. Why would I activate a skill that does 500 damage when a normal gunshot does 2K?)

One thing I will say, the constellations thing is really cool, especially how you can unlock skills that can be assigned to active skills and then trigger off of those. For a while I ran with a sort-of hacked together build where every single item I had did a "on attack, 20% chance of fireball/meteor/deathstorm" etc, so I had like 8 of those, and I had four other skills proc from the constellations, so every shot basically turned into an epic fireworks storm on whatever poor schlub I hit.

It was surprisingly powerful too, typically those builds don't do at all well, but here it's something that's absolutely viable, at least well into act 5 where I last quit. So that was cool.

On the downside, loot drops are absolutely fucking atrocious in Grim Dawn. It makes Borderlands 2 look generous in comparison. I'm level 59 now, still haven't even SEEN a single Legendary drop. (they start at 50.) Most of my weapons and armor are leveled in the 40s, just because nothing ever drops. It's like they looked at Diablo 3 at launch, said "That's the kind of shit-ass drops we want, but WITHOUT an auction house to at least keep you going!" And then, even when something drops, it's for a different class, or a different weapon, etc. Blegh. It should've been called Grind Dawn.

I may go back to finish the expansion, which I bought before I realized was a miserly game it is. Sigh.

Story wise it's pretty naff, but at least the environments are cool and varied, and some of the Rogue-Like dungeons are really excellent (that outside area, port Valpur or something, is really awesome to play) and very terror-inducing.

I'm also personally not that big a fan of an ARPG that forces you to kite for 30 minutes to kill a boss, but that's just a personal preference, maybe some people really love that. Every planned boss character is essentially just a kite-fest to grind away their inane hitpoint bar.

Needless to say, I'm not as charmed by Grim Dawn as most people here.

9. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 12, 2017, 14:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

ShadowofWard wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 13:30:
Agree with everything you said about Grim Dawn. However maps are kind of randomized, like they were in Diablo 2. The map has the same layout but obstacles are placed in order to randomized certain paths. So it's kind of randomized in certain places. Honestly the new expansion pack is so large i tend to get lost a lot more, but i would like more "random" maps like in the first Diablo.

Whoops, yes you are correct, obstacles will get randomized a bit, I forgot about that. The expansion is almost too large in some areas, I would have preferred more checkpoints/Rift gates in some of the zones. The vanilla game is broken up enough by Rift gates that I can play it on a short break at work, etc. and still get some map progression done on that character...then I get to the expansion, and it can take an hour to fully clear a zone. I appreciate their design goals for the expansion, but it wouldn't have killed them to add some more riftgates.

8. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 12, 2017, 13:39 Orogogus

I got Grim Dawn with a Humble Bundle a while ago, and played it until I reached some dungeon with tons of environmental damage. Like if you click in the wrong place and don't immediately notice (while being swarmed by ghosty monsters) you're dead in like 3 seconds. I found it kind of unfun in an ARPG, but it felt like one of those hills developers love to die on.

Occasionally when I get an ARPG itch I wonder if I should give Blizzard some money, since they seem to cater to my breed of filthy casual scum. Free respecs sound swell to me and it doesn't seem to me that they're hurting anything, but yikes did people get angry about them.

7. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 12, 2017, 13:30 ShadowofWard

Agree with everything you said about Grim Dawn. However maps are kind of randomized, like they were in Diablo 2. The map has the same layout but obstacles are placed in order to randomized certain paths. So it's kind of randomized in certain places. Honestly the new expansion pack is so large i tend to get lost a lot more, but i would like more "random" maps like in the first Diablo.  

6. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 12, 2017, 12:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 09:40:
Wallshadows wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 21:07:
Jumped in to PoE but it's not the super-crazy Mayhem event so I might give this a whirl for the week until then. Turmoil is okay and got my guy to 70 but am not happy with the outcome of my character and don't feel like rerolling.

I think my biggest issue with PoE is that if I step away to make a snack, or have to quit in the middle of a level, that it resets. It's a shame because I think it's brilliant otherwise.

I have GD, and just started it. Hopefully it will be as good.

Grim Dawn is the best of the current ARPGs overall, but all of them have flaws. Grim Dawn's most glaring flaw for a lot of people is that the main storyline maps are NOT random, once you've seen it once, only the monsters and loot will change. Random Hero and Nemesis monsters can spawn, but unlike Diablo 3 and PoE you miss out on randomized maps.

Itemization in Grim Dawn is the best of the three games, in terms of build defining drops starting at level 50 or so.(Legendaries) Graphics are on par with PoE; both games' early areas/creatures are fairly simple, and as both games got more money they made more elaborate maps and creatures as the games were added to.

Grim Dawn's music is the best, hands down. Sound effects aside from that are pretty good.

Build variety is excellent in GD up until the max level end game bosses, then it shrinks some, but good stutter stepping and movement can still win fights even then. GD does suffer from the Titan Quest style skill trees though, with some skills requiring up to 16 points to max out, which can limit skill variety on one character.

Normal/Veteran to Elite to most of Ultimate, you can probably make just about ANY build work. Max level Ultimate Nemeses, Ultimate Uber Bosses and most efficient Crucible clearing? Yeah you will need min-maxxed builds with high DA, high OA, tons of damage and hp, perfect rolled drops(Monster Infrequents) etc.

5. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 12, 2017, 09:40 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 21:07:
Jumped in to PoE but it's not the super-crazy Mayhem event so I might give this a whirl for the week until then. Turmoil is okay and got my guy to 70 but am not happy with the outcome of my character and don't feel like rerolling.

I think my biggest issue with PoE is that if I step away to make a snack, or have to quit in the middle of a level, that it resets. It's a shame because I think it's brilliant otherwise.

I have GD, and just started it. Hopefully it will be as good.

Stay a while, and listen.

4. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 11, 2017, 23:58 Rhett

Grim Dawn is also worth a look, the new expansion really opened things up. Often compared to POE (I play GD, not POE) - also has mods and such, open/closed MP, and it's a one-off instead of F2P.  

3. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 11, 2017, 21:07 Wallshadows

2. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 11, 2017, 19:34 Rhett

Also a bunch of builds have seen a major buff, and there's WAY more diversity in endgame builds now.  

1. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 11, 2017, 19:23 Alamar

I may jump into this... Ended up thoroughly enjoying the Necro's Spinny Bone Armor set...

Also, for those that find the following the most important bit of info for a new league, like I do:

Here are the sets granted by Haedrig’s Gift in Season 12:

Barbarian – Immortal King’s Call
Crusader – Seeker of the Light
Demon Hunter – Natalya’s Vengeance
Monk – Uliana’s Stratagem
Witch Doctor – Spirit of Arachyr
Wizard – Vyr’s Amazing Arcana

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo