Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is Veteran's Day here in the U.S., so here's a salute to vets and their kin. Today is also Armistice Day, marking the 99th anniversary of the end of the first World War. I wonder if next year this will get attention due to the centennial? I imagine not, as it seems the outbreak of World War II 20 years later did a lot to remove the luster from the end of World War I.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Coloruid 2.
Links: Veterans Day 2017: Free Meals and Deals.
Story: Hasbro Reportedly Bidding To Takeover Mattel. Long-awaited Barbie/G.I. Joe hook up.
Science: Aborting a Launch of NASA’S Orion Capsule Sounds Absolutely Horrifying. Thanks RedEye9.
Mysterious Radioactive Cloud Over Europe Hints At Accident Farther East. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: SOUTH PARK: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE (Honest Game Trailers).
HeroStorm Ep31 Within Arms Length.
ELDERS REACT TO iPHONE X (Facial Recognition, Animojis).
Auctions: Baby you can drive Ringo's car- Starr's Mini Cooper up for auction.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 13:42 Nucas

coincidentally, i just got into the history of world war 1, a period of time i've never really been interested in. i picked up a copy of The Guns of August for some reason last month and, though it was a terrible book (i've never read a "history" that reduced historical figures to such utter, buffoonish caricatures in my life) it was a spring board into the wider historiography of the war.

to invoke christopher clark here, it was always easy to imagine the run-up to war as some edwardian costume drama. the effete rituals and gaudy uniforms, the ornamentalism of a world still largely organized around hereditary monarchy had a distancing effect. the presumption asserts itself that if the actors hats had gaudy green ostrich feathers on them, then their thoughts and motivations probably did too, so to speak.

it's gotten me pretty excited for that german show netflix is bringing to market next month, Babylon Berlin, a noir-ish crime drama set during the Weimar Republic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 10:16 Creston

A bit late, but here's to all Veterans. Salute

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 08:23 DG

Armistice Day is a fairly big deal here in UK, though more so Remembrance Sunday. The Royal British Legion and their poppy appeal is due a lot of credit for that, the poppy has lent itself well regularly to some installations such as this one at the Tower of London a few years back https://youtu.be/KMxF3L2G0-4  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 18:04 Mordecai Walfish

Just started my first playthrough of Fallout 2 after finishing the first one last week. Had a ton of fun with Fallout 1 and the sequel has been great so far. Gonna have a lot of time to sink into it tonight and tomorrow, and the cold weather outside certainly is helping fight the urge to go out and do anything else. Creating a character the second time around I made a bunch of changes compared to how I approached the first game. Got 9ap at the start compared to the measly 6 I started FO1 with. Makes combat much more enjoyable with so many different options on the table for each turn, compared to basically doing one thing and then waiting 'til next turn. At The Den currently trying to figure out how to free these slaves and (hopefully) free my sidekick's sister in the process.  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 17:26 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 13:39:

Seriously, is there any industry not consolidating into a monopoly? So much for our vaunted "free" market system.

I don't think I could name one that hasn't suffered huge amounts of consolidation off the top of my head. Even many industries that appear to have a lot of competing brands are actually consolidated to hell and the brands are owned by the same small group of companies.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 16:55 UttiniDaKilrJawa

jdreyer wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 13:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 13:37:
Long-awaited Barbie/G.I. Joe hook up.
Ken will watch from the closet.

While holding hands with Cobra Commander.

Seriously, is there any industry not consolidating into a monopoly? So much for our vaunted "free" market system.

Can't remember where I read this but I think monopoly is the eventual outcome and/or goal for a free market system.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 13:44 jdreyer

Mysterious Radioactive Cloud Over Europe Hints At Accident Farther East.

From the headline, I assumed it was from the North Korean test facility collapse.

Stay a while, and listen.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 13:39 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 13:37:

While holding hands with Cobra Commander.

Stay a while, and listen.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 13:37 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 13:36 Kxmode

113 hours in ACO and counting. I think that's the playtime of about 3-4 AC titles. ACO is such an amazing game. Really enjoying ancient Egypt. The Ubisoft team did a good job recreating it!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo