Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Interviews

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 12:02 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 11:39:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 08:01:
A "killer" VR app would be something along the lines of the openness of Skyrim or Fallout with the depth content of The Witcher series. Every VR demo I have tried is limited in scope.

What is funny is you just made a game that doesn't even exist in flat screens. You are taking perhaps the best at both those fields and putting them together, when they themselves don't have it. Killer products are racing/fly sims. That is killer. Now are you into that?

I think VR will have problem is in MP FPS/Moba type genres. The action is so hectic that it maxes gamers senses. Where in VR it will never be that kind of action and you can do the former for hours on end. VR has the option of a seated experience, which currently I do prefer, so you could do long sessions, but being so immersed in the pov, you still won't pull off quite the same heroics you can with a flat screen action. The games I've played in VR, generally speaking in those genres, simply haven't been able to go to 11 in that way. It is slower and more realistic offering some gamers will even prefer, but probably not most.

Ha! I was going to point out that the game he described would be a killer app anywhere. If it was done well it'd be a 20 million seller.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 11:43 HorrorScope

Bumpy wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 11:34:
Pretty much these 2.

Also, dev really need to find a better way to move around. Warping around everywhere takes a big bunch of the immersion away.

At this rate, self driving cars will beat VR in becoming more mainstream.

These are things I agree with. When it becomes wireless, that will be a big step forward or at the very least, the unit calibrates and sensors itself, vs setting up a room. Technology is there for that and I believe an offering is coming soon doing that.

The warping part is probably my #1 dislike with VR. Yes it makes one less wozzy in the newbie stages and I'm not against the option. But making it an only option, that will never make it mainstream if that were the status quo.

12. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 11:39 HorrorScope

A "killer" VR app would be something along the lines of the openness of Skyrim or Fallout with the depth content of The Witcher series. Every VR demo I have tried is limited in scope.

What is funny is you just made a game that doesn't even exist in flat screens. You are taking perhaps the best at both those fields and putting them together, when they themselves don't have it. Killer products are racing/fly sims. That is killer. Now are you into that?

I think VR will have problem is in MP FPS/Moba type genres. The action is so hectic that it maxes gamers senses. Where in VR it will never be that kind of action and you can do the former for hours on end. VR has the option of a seated experience, which currently I do prefer, so you could do long sessions, but being so immersed in the pov, you still won't pull off quite the same heroics you can with a flat screen action. The games I've played in VR, generally speaking in those genres, simply haven't been able to go to 11 in that way. It is slower and more realistic offering some gamers will even prefer, but probably not most.

11. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 11:34 Bumpy

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 09:20:

For the general public to buy into VR, it’ll need to be MUCH simpler to set up, cheaper,

Pretty much these 2.

Also, dev really need to find a better way to move around. Warping around everywhere takes a big bunch of the immersion away.

At this rate, self driving cars will beat VR in becoming more mainstream.

10. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 11:32 HorrorScope

Dacron wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 21:45:
$600 for VR, or $600 for new games.

One will give me thousands of hours of entertainment, the other hopefully has games for it in a few years and a few niche products now.

Tough call.

It seems logical but just a way to make right in your decision.

First you can get in for $400.

Why buy a $400 video card upgrade when I already have an ok one and that can go to $400 more in games?

Problem probably is, I already have more games then time, so I don't even have to put dollars towards games at all. Probably more an addiction than smart thinking.

VR, do I want to experience something different?
Or am I content with the same games in general over and over?
Or do both.

9. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 11:29 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 21:45:
Yeah, it needs actual product...good product and lots of it..which it doesn't have either of, nor does it look like it's coming. Everyone seems to be waiting for everyone else to deliver and that's what's killing it.

Don't you like snuggle truck? It has snuggle truck. A kill app in the sense we often use isn't happening because people aren't willing to buy the HW at the cost it is at today. There are some fantastic offerings today owners are thrilled with. To non-buyers they shrug it off, adds to their reasons why not to own VR, fits their narrative. In addition you also sit on more unplayed content then you will ever have time to play, VR just adds more time to a problem of time.

It's up to the HW mfg's at this point, how much are they willing to sacrifice to make a bustling new market? Or are the content with the chipping away method?

8. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 10:59 swedishfriend

The only VR I have tried was PSVR and that was good enough to be the biggest thing for games since 3d graphics. It is easier, more natural to play games this way and even with simple graphics it still feels more natural and immersive than more realistic graphics on a flat screen. VR is here to stay and it will keep getting better and cheaper and the dozens of great games of today will turn into hundreds in a few years..  

7. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 09:20 HoSpanky

One great game won’t get people to spend $1500 (assume the average Joe doesn’t have a capable/upgradable pc) on the hardware, and the time it’d take to learn a new system.

For the general public to buy into VR, it’ll need to be MUCH simpler to set up, cheaper, and hot celebrities need to post about how awesome it is. Seriously. Right now, Average Joe THINKS they know what VR is, and that’s “a 3d tv strapped to my face”, which is maybe 10% correct. It doesn’t sound appealing, and the price keeps them from even wanting to check it out, because what if they DO like it?

The Windows Mixed Reality headsets worry me. They’re not significantly cheaper than the Rift, but they’re easier to set up (and unfortunately have worse, but not bad, tracking). It’s the cost of a badass gaming PC that’ll stop them. Remember, these people have blissfully ignored computers as long as possible, so they can’t build one themselves. They also have no idea what a “good gaming pc” is, and the first company to crank out a $400 turd and LABEL it as a gaming machine (“discrete Nvidia 210 GPU!”) would sell some. Then people buy those, find the experience jittery and nauseating, and they’ll never ever try it again.

PSVR is about halfway there. Had they gone with Lighthouse tracking, it’d probably have gained more traction. But noooo Sony wanted to sell more of their failed peripherals, so they made a heavily flawed, unreliable VR system instead.

Maybe, maybe, the XboneX will be the answer.

6. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 08:01 Burrito of Peace

5. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 04:49 El Pit

CCP dev on board of the Titanic: "No, this ship can not sink!"

He was seen jumping off board a second later.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

4. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 11, 2017, 00:17 The Half Elf

Ubisoft and EA could have done it.

Ubisoft with Bridge Crew (and could have DLC'd the hell out of it and I'll admit I would buy it).
EA with Star Wars (as there is already a Battlefront 1 or 2 VR mission).

Those two franchises alone could sell anything. Hell Star Wars branded Nvidia cards is more then the headsets.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

3. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 10, 2017, 21:45 Dacron

$600 for VR, or $600 for new games.

One will give me thousands of hours of entertainment, the other hopefully has games for it in a few years and a few niche products now.

Tough call.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

2. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 10, 2017, 21:45 Cutter

Yeah, it needs actual product...good product and lots of it..which it doesn't have either of, nor does it look like it's coming. Everyone seems to be waiting for everyone else to deliver and that's what's killing it.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 10, 2017, 21:00 NKD

It's a fair assessment of VR, IMHO.

Right now, all the pieces are in place, it's just too expensive still. The limited audience limits what developers can make. As they point out in the article, it's hard to do a multiplayer community when the VR player base is still small.

After messing with my friends Vive, it's hard to play a sim or racing game without it. But sims and racing games are a niche genre, and with the headsets still being expensive, that's not going to make it hit critical mass.

The lower they can get the total cost of ownership, the faster VR will take off.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo