Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index

THQ Nordic announces that Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell are no longer indexed in Germany, and can be sold there in their uncensored forms. Both first-person shooters had been deemed too violent for the country's strict standards, but they are no longer considered menaces to society They offer this trailer with 14 seconds of hype on the news, and say they are continuing to battle the authorities to free up other games in their catalogue:

After we were able to remove Red Faction I to III from the German list of media harmful to young persons (aka "ZE INDEX") in late 2015, early 2016, respectively, THQ Nordic celebrates yet another success. Last month already, our application to waive the blacklisting decision of the first Painkiller game (demo version) was successful. However, by yesterday’s decision of the regulator, the uncensored version of Painkiller (full version) and Painkiller Battle out of Hell have also been shoved off ZE INDEX in a totally non-violent manner.

Numerous discussions, a team of relentless lawyers, perseverance and a dash of black magic (OK, who are we kiddin', the Stake Gun came in quite handy, too) were required to achieve said result.

After the incredible news of yet another removal from the list, THQ Nordic is (again) in (youth-free) party mode knowing that the Vienna-based team will be having further discussions with the BPjM (Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons): “We will of course still be nurturing our extensive games portfolio, and will do what it takes to ensure that gamers can play our games in the future.” says everyone here at THQ Nordic. "We can still celebrate “small” successes like this, even if more than a decade later!"

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 11, 2017, 11:57 ZeroPike1

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 16:56:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 15:16:
Alot of uninformed here, Its blocked by default on the store page country wide. Based off a user's preference, IE telling steam I'm in Germany blocks content.
Isn't it a little more in depth than just telling steam your location, because if that was the case than it would be easy to circumvent.

I would think it would at least be by ip (internet protocol).
My steam profile says I'm from Timor-Leste

I could not give you details as to the how or why. I know my US account can see games for sale a German based account cannot. While physically being on the same router in Germany for several years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 17:52 Acleacius

Gratz, to our German brothers and sisters! Personally, endless wave games are not my cup of beer, but still a victory. Ahoy  
Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.

8. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 17:51 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 17:11:
So what I understand by the replies is you could have purchased a physical copy of Painkiller on release using an 18+ ID?

Yep. Or import a UK/US copy in case a German version is censored. This is one of the disadvantages of the digital age. The dreaded region lock for games that are bound to Steam sucks ass.
Back in the day you could easily get legal(!) disk copies (illegal never was a problem anyway ofc) of indexed games or even enter the key of an import version on Steam (Steam language had to be set to English for most games in such cases) to get access to the uncensored version.

At some point Valve made this impossible via region locking. Apparently it was easier to implement a region lock system than to make a simple age verification system in all these years.

Of course the region lock was implemented at the request of publishers while the age verification system would be for (mostly German/Aussie etc.) customers and we all know how much of a shit Valve gives about their customers.
It's one of the many things they never got around to for improving their ancient piece of shit client.

7. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 17:11 Tipsy McStagger

So what I understand by the replies is you could have purchased a physical copy of Painkiller on release using an 18+ ID?

6. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 16:56 RedEye9

ZeroPike1 wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 15:16:
Alot of uninformed here, Its blocked by default on the store page country wide. Based off a user's preference, IE telling steam I'm in Germany blocks content.
Isn't it a little more in depth than just telling steam your location, because if that was the case than it would be easy to circumvent.

I would think it would at least be by ip (internet protocol).
My steam profile says I'm from Timor-Leste

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

5. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 15:19 ZeroPike1

Rigs wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 15:16:
BPjM = Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons?

Uh, nope, try again. Where's the 'F'?! There's no 'B' in that word...like at all! And where the hell did the lowercase 'j' come from?!? (maybe to sybolize 'junior' as in, 'under age'?)

I never understood German as a language. I think the French language is ugly and the German language is not far behind. (No offense to Germans or French, btw, just my personal opinion)

=-Rigs-=

In German its Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien. Which they translated rather directly into readable English in their news post. Your not wrong its weird section of letters but its just how they have it.

4. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 15:16 ZeroPike1

And having shopped here they Retail games ALL the time. You can easily buy normal Steam PC games on Disc's here. And they WILL ask for ID at the checkout. Weather they are full legit or not I do not know. But they have small publisher's here that will print discs and boxes for Steam based PC games.

3. Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 15:16 Rigs

BPjM = Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons?

Uh, nope, try again. Where's the 'F'?! There's no 'B' in that word...like at all! And where the hell did the lowercase 'j' come from?!? (maybe to sybolize 'junior' as in, 'under age'?)

I never understood German as a language. I think the French language is ugly clumsy and the German language is not far behind, unnecessarily complicated. (No offense to Germans or French, btw, just my personal opinion)

=-Rigs-=

''...and not getting to kill Hitler in a Wolfenstein game is like hiring an expensive prostitute to come to your hotel room and massage your kneecaps.'' -Yahtzee

2. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 10, 2017, 14:40 Kajetan

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 13:53:
Hooray for small miracles 10 years later? I don't understand why they just didn't sell the uncensored version to 18 and over.
How? Neither Steam, nor GOG or any other distribution plattform has an age verification system. And retail for an older game is not profitable at all.

1. Re: Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell No Longer on German Index Nov 10, 2017, 13:53 jdreyer

Hooray for small miracles 10 years later? I don't understand why they just didn't sell the uncensored version to 18 and over.  

Stay a while, and listen.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo