Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Things have been very mild around these parts so far this fall, but that seems about to change. The forecast is calling for it to drop well below freezing tonight, which will be the first frost since spring. This seems awfully late in the season for this, but I don't keep track of such things, so it may actually be normal. Anyway, it's a little odd, since it hasn't been as low as 32F before now, but it's possible tonight it will reach below 20F.

R.I.P.: John Hillerman, 'Magnum P.I.' and 'Chinatown' actor, dies at 84.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Doodle God: Rocket Scientist.
Links: Deadpool 2 Good Housekeeping Issue Teases Sequel, Recipes. Thanks RedEye9.
Story: Little girls stolen puppy returned by 'remorseful' thieves after appeal. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Wolves Know How to Work Together . Thanks j.c.f.
Dinosaurs Might Not Be Extinct Had the Asteroid Struck Elsewhere.
Mysterious object 13 times the size of Jupiter found.
Media: (1) KILL MY FRIEND!? - PORTAL - Part 3.
Koenigsegg World Record Speed Run.
So Meta.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 15:27 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 14:59:
Today is Veteran's Day in the USA. If you have served in the military, you have my respect and gratitude, not just today, but every day. Thank you.

Why? I don't understand this cult-like obsession with the military in the US. No soldier has lifted a finger in defense of you or your country in your lifetime and probably your parents lifetime. The last time that happened was WWII. And I think the last 73 years of saying thanks and having a Remembrance/Veterans day once a year is plenty considering no one remembers the point of it and it sure as hell doesn't stop armed conflict in spite of the meaningless platitudes. Everything soldiers have been involved in since WWII has been about US exceptionalism and hegemony. That makes them, point in fact, invaders in most cases, not defenders. And considering the staggering costs of your MIC at the expense of everyone and everything else it makes it even more mind-boggling.

It's right up there with Americans saying "Oh my gosh." Instead of "Oh my god." Everyone on the outside looking in finds it immensely funny that a nation with an extremely violent culture is perfectly ok with that, but a bit of sex, nudity, or blasphemy is completely unacceptable. America really is all about the cult of personality.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 14:59 jdreyer

Today is Veteran's Day in the USA. If you have served in the military, you have my respect and gratitude, not just today, but every day. Thank you.  

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 14:11 jdreyer

Magnum P.I. was one of my favs as a kid. I only found out John wasn't actually British a few years ago. Favorite line: "Oh my GOD!" when he discovers a Playboy shoot in progress at the mansion.

RIP, Mr. Hillerman, and thanks for all the memories and entertainment.

Stay a while, and listen.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 13:21 Cutter

First snowfall here last night. Not a ton but everything is covered in the white stuff, looks pretty.

So long Higgy-baby!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 12:34 RedEye9

Wolves must have watched the honey badger video.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

3. Re: Mysterious object 13 times the size of Jupiter found. Nov 10, 2017, 12:01 Mr. Tact

Interesting, but the recent story about years long supernova was even more interesting. Bizzare Supernova  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Koenigsegg Super Car Nov 10, 2017, 11:58 PHJF

Hmmm apparently my cap was raised to 100mbps... have a download going at 13.5 MB/s right now. And it only took 15 years for metropolitan America to catch up to the rest of the world! Woo!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Koenigsegg Super Car Nov 10, 2017, 11:31 MoreLuckThanSkill

277mph? I could use that on the way to work, to skip the commute and turn into a fiery ball of twisted metal and death in mere seconds!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo