Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 15:11 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 02:21:
A Gungan movie trilogy! Finally! And a tv series dealing with the hard life of dew farmers on Tatooine directed by Ken Loach.

It should be a documentary done by Ken Burns.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 07:08 Burrito of Peace

When I was a kid, I loved Star Wars. As an adult, the only one that I find watchable is The Empire Strikes Back and that is largely due to the efforts of Irvin Kershner. It is by far heads and shoulders above everything else in that series.

I think what Disney fails to realize is that what made the original trilogy so popular at its initial release has become commonplace on TV today. Epic sci fi, awesome special effects, and overarching story arcs that don't have to be resolved in 30 minutes or less can now be found outside the efforts of a movie studio. The Expanse immediately springs to my mind and I find that to be a superior product to anything Star Wars has done in the last 30 years.

9. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 02:57 yuastnav

*shrug* I love the original Star Wars movies. The second trilogy is not very good but it's good enough so I can watch in now and again.

It also seems like I'm the only one here who like episode 7 and is really looking forward to episode 8. I'm mildly curious what else the vicious money-making machine that is Disney has planned.

8. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 02:21 El Pit

A Gungan movie trilogy! Finally! And a tv series dealing with the hard life of dew farmers on Tatooine directed by Ken Loach.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

7. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 01:05 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 23:59:
I'm confused as to how the original Star Wars trilogy has gotten this reputation as some kind of masterpiece. It's certainly a very fun, very enjoyable set of movies, but it's fast food film designed to sell toys.

But people complain and act like it's gone downhill when it's just doing what it's always done...tell a somewhat by-the-numbers story with cool visual effects and lots of merchandise potential.

That's not really meant as a criticism of Star Wars, though. Not everything has to be some pretentious intellectual circlejerk. Lots of people love Star Wars, including me.

You owe it to yourself to watch at least part of Red Letter Media's takedown of the Phantom Menace. In it, he compares and contrasts with the original Star Wars movie showing how the characters, plot, arc, etc. are so much superior in the original film from a structural viewpoint. Many, but not all, of the deficiencies can be applied to this new crop of Star Wars films that exist in TPM.

RLM videos are also highly entertaining.

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: Into the Black Nov 10, 2017, 00:35 1badmf

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 23:59:
I'm confused as to how the original Star Wars trilogy has gotten this reputation as some kind of masterpiece. It's certainly a very fun, very enjoyable set of movies, but it's fast food film designed to sell toys.

But people complain and act like it's gone downhill when it's just doing what it's always done...tell a somewhat by-the-numbers story with cool visual effects and lots of merchandise potential.

That's not really meant as a criticism of Star Wars, though. Not everything has to be some pretentious intellectual circlejerk. Lots of people love Star Wars, including me.

sorry but your understanding of star wars is woefully insufficient. the original trilogy was so much more than just by-the-numbers story telling; it's sad you think that because you've missed out on 90% of the experience if that's all you saw. it's no accident that myself and most other scifi nerds rank Empire one of hte greatest films of all time, not just star wars films.

5. Re: Into the Black Nov 9, 2017, 23:59 NKD

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

4. Re: Into the Black Nov 9, 2017, 23:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

I don't understand how they can fuck up Star Wars movies so badly, when there has been plenty of great writing in the comics, and most of the cartoons.

Clone Wars, the non-cgi original series and the cgi series, excellent writing, great characters for the most part, very interesting and really expanded on the idea of Jedi powers.

But somehow whenever they go live action, it turns into a complete mess. Too much money involved or something? I don't even get it. The new trilogy at least has some amazing acting talent, but I'm dreading the release of episode 8... I can tell it's just going to piss me off.

3. Re: Into the Black Nov 9, 2017, 21:01 Cutter

With the exception of Empire I've always agreed with Sir Alec that SW is horrible tripe that's only gotten progressively worse and exists solely as a vehicle to sell merchandise.

Most of the books have been pretty bad too with the noted exception of the Thrawn books. Now that should be mace into a TV series. Also the Tales short stories would work well like Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

2. Re: Into the Black Nov 9, 2017, 20:55 DangerDog

Star Wars was amazing, mostly due to the talent around George Lucas at the time, a lot hinged on his then wife and film editor Marcia Lucas.

Then the prequels were made and that cured me of my Star Wars addiction.

The Disney Star Wars movies have buried it 6ft in the ground and back filled it with concrete.

I Still like the OT Star Wars but man they make even that hard to hold onto.

1. Re: Into the Black Nov 9, 2017, 19:50 Dacote

Disney, single-handedly destroying your dreams since childhood.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo