Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Obsidian Tease

A tweet from Obsidian seems to tease a new game announcement, as it lays out the developer's resume to date with a conspicuous line of question marks apparently signifying their next project (thanks VG247). Here's what they posted:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Neverwinter Nights 2

Alpha Protocol

Fallout: New Vegas

Dungeon Siege III

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Pillars of Eternity

Armored Warfare

Pathfinder Adventures

Tyranny

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

???

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 10, 2017, 22:29 Acleacius

GothicWizard wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 19:42:
A former Obsidian employee told me Cain and company (ex-fallout guys) at Obsidian are working on their own post apoc CRPG (so this way they own the IP) and that is the big game under wraps that has been in development for some time. If anything I'd suggest this is what they are going to announce.
That would be great news, thanks for the info!

Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 10, 2017, 19:42 GothicWizard

A former Obsidian employee told me Cain and company (ex-fallout guys) at Obsidian are working on their own post apoc CRPG (so this way they own the IP) and that is the big game under wraps that has been in development for some time. If anything I'd suggest this is what they are going to announce.  

19. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 23:29 HorrorScope

If I had to guess, a new Fallout. Can't really guess a franchise that doesn't exist.  

18. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 20:25 Big Frank

Fallout New Angeles
Just think of how many DLC's could be made for that.

17. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 17:11 Acleacius

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:31:
Bill Borre wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 10:57:
I was thinking they probably regretted doing AP.

I don't think so, AP was really interesting. Shame they didn't get more time from Sega, it had a lot of potential and is one of the few true branching dialogue games with impact. It's an oft lamented game around on the web, it has some real moments of brilliance.
+! Lighter

saluk wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:42:
It wasn't just sega, there was a recent article about how much trouble they had in general working on the game. It was their first game developed outside of the bioware toolset/template, on their own so to speak, so they may have been a bit overambitious with it.
If you happen to find, I would like to read it. Atm, I'm pretty sure it was sega, too. They have a poor track record with rushing and under budgeting games.

Jerykk wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:24:
Not at all. They've gone on record saying that they'd love to make a sequel.
I specifically remember this, too.

Spektr wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 16:11:
Fallout New New Vegas
Party2
Apparently, bethesda are real dicks, they keep trying to force all the developers who work for them to sell their company, too (Arkane and id). Only Human Head and Obsidian have been smart enough to say, no. Of course, then bethesda is all butt hurt. Middlefinger

Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.

16. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 16:11 Spektr

Fallout New New Vegas  

15. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 15:23 CJ_Parker

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:30:
It just means "our future is uncertain. Maybe we'll go out of business tomorrow. NOBODY KNOWS! Ian't life exciting? :D"

Wouldn't be too surprising as they have proven time and again that they are simply incapable of delivering a quality product on time (key words here quality and on time... I've enjoyed a few games from that list but only after years of patching).

So, once you are done proving to every publisher how incompetent you are then all that is left is '???'

14. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 14:30 ForgedReality

It just means "our future is uncertain. Maybe we'll go out of business tomorrow. NOBODY KNOWS! Ian't life exciting? :D"  

13. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 14:16 grudgebearer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:48:
grudgebearer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:38:
I wanted to like Pillars of Eternity, but the it just couldn't hold my attention. The characters and the story were 'Ok' in the generic fantasy book type way, but the combat/gear setup drove me insane.

I'm about 80% through the vanilla game, my characters are maxed out, I have two floors of the keep dungeon left, and I've only completed one of the companion backstory quests.

Haven't picked up Tyranny, was waiting for 75% off or greater.

You will probably end up liking Tyranny more, honestly, if that's your feelings on PoEt. Tyranny definitely has better writing and much more memorable characters, excellent magic system, if a bit simplified in the combat due to the smaller party setup. Max out your LORE stat at all times, every character. Lore is insanely important in Tyranny for casting.

Tyranny is also a lot shorter game, definitely a tighter focus, deliberately on Obsidian's part. The gear situation in Tyranny is... slightly better than PoEt? I don't know what in particular you didn't like in Pillars about the gear, aside from probably the grinding requirements on Soulbound weapons, but Tyranny's gear is pretty straight forward, with a lot better options for crafting exactly what you want.

It doesn't matter much now, since both games have been patched a ton, but Tyranny was also remarkbly almost bug free on release day, pretty much unheard of for Obsidian.

Another Alpha Protocol game would be awesome; I loved that in spite of the bugs back in the day, but I would put money on them making Tyranny 2. Their Tyranny team and engine is ready to go, although I HOPE and assume they will bump the party up to 5, on par with PoEt 2. The Tyranny universe has a ton of story material available for a sequel.

Gear was forgettable and other than having something, there was no reason to chase down a recipe or a save up money for to buy anything. My fighter was using the same weapon from level 5 when I maxed him out at 9, and hadn't swapped out armor in forever either. Most of my party ended up that way if I recall. The uniques in most cases weren't even as powerful as basic enchantments.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

12. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 13:43 ItBurn

Alpha Protocol was great. It was definitely a bit broken and somewhat unfinished, but it was just a simple and fun shooter/rpg.

Edit: Dungeon Siege 3 is in my list of worst games ever though. What a pile of steaming shit.

11. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 13:36 yuastnav

Alpha Protocol was interesting, however, I couldn't bear to play more than two or three hours because it did not run well at all on PC. It was a horrendous port.

I am really happy about PoE and especially Tyranny, though. I am looking forward to PoE II and I would LOVE to play a sequel to Tyranny. Come on, after how the game ended you have to continue the story. Don't leave us hanging, man! I wanna punch Kyros in her stupid tyrannical face.

I'd be happy about a new game, though. Just please don't let it be a crap console port.

10. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 12:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

grudgebearer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:38:
I wanted to like Pillars of Eternity, but the it just couldn't hold my attention. The characters and the story were 'Ok' in the generic fantasy book type way, but the combat/gear setup drove me insane.

I'm about 80% through the vanilla game, my characters are maxed out, I have two floors of the keep dungeon left, and I've only completed one of the companion backstory quests.

You will probably end up liking Tyranny more, honestly, if that's your feelings on PoEt. Tyranny definitely has better writing and much more memorable characters, excellent magic system, if a bit simplified in the combat due to the smaller party setup. Max out your LORE stat at all times, every character. Lore is insanely important in Tyranny for casting.

Tyranny is also a lot shorter game, definitely a tighter focus, deliberately on Obsidian's part. The gear situation in Tyranny is... slightly better than PoEt? I don't know what in particular you didn't like in Pillars about the gear, aside from probably the grinding requirements on Soulbound weapons, but Tyranny's gear is pretty straight forward, with a lot better options for crafting exactly what you want.

It doesn't matter much now, since both games have been patched a ton, but Tyranny was also remarkbly almost bug free on release day, pretty much unheard of for Obsidian.

Another Alpha Protocol game would be awesome; I loved that in spite of the bugs back in the day, but I would put money on them making Tyranny 2. Their Tyranny team and engine is ready to go, although I HOPE and assume they will bump the party up to 5, on par with PoEt 2. The Tyranny universe has a ton of story material available for a sequel.

9. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 12:33 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:24:

IIRC they occasionally bug Sega about getting the IP back. Honestly though it's not really necessary. The IP isn't that valuable, it was the gameplay and dialogue systems that were fun. The story and characters were pretty generic.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

8. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 12:24 Jerykk

7. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 12:06 Cutter

POE and Tranny were pretty meh IMO. I'd give a lot if it were a new NWN game.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 12:04 Verno

saluk wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:42:
It wasn't just sega, there was a recent article about how much trouble they had in general working on the game. It was their first game developed outside of the bioware toolset/template, on their own so to speak, so they may have been a bit overambitious with it.

Interesting, I'll hunt around for it. I remember one of the things I hated about AP was the weird check pointing they would do. It felt so out of place in the kind of game they were making. The combat was awkward as hell and the difficulty spikes were bizarre. They kind of lulled you into a false sense of security, thinking you could go full stealth but some sections were insane without a leveled combat skill.

But damned if it didn't have some of the best RP and branching I've seen in a game.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

5. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 11:42 saluk

I don't think so, AP was really interesting. Shame they didn't get more time from Sega, it had a lot of potential and is one of the few true branching dialogue games with impact. It's an oft lamented game around on the web, it has some real moments of brilliance.

4. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 11:38 grudgebearer

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

3. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 11:31 Verno

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

2. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 10:57 Bill Borre

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo