Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had a dentist appointment yesterday, but I got a call from the office to postpone it until next week. I joked with the young lady who called that I have a 48-hour cancellation policy, so I was going to have to charge them. She thought this was delightful, and promised to tell the doctor. Then I got a call about 45 minutes later, saying they had received the lab delivery that provoked the setback, so I could come in sooner if I wanted. I asked if my original appointment was still available, and was told it was already filled. Had I called them to cancel the appointment with three hours notice, the indeed would have charged me for my appointment, but in this case they were able to find someone to take my appointment in the time it takes to get a pizza delivered. It really does make me want to print up a bill for them.

R.I.P.: Overwatch and League of Legends veteran, Dennis 'INTERNETHULK' Hawelka, has died.
R.I.P.: Bond girl Karin Dor, star of You Only Live Twice, dies.

Billable Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: AFO Reloaded.
Story: Louisiana Deputy Shoots, Kills 12-Pound Family Dog. Complains about cost of the bullet. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: The future is here: Genetically engineered stem cells save a patient.
Superlong Supernova Explosion Defies Scientists' Understanding of Stars. Champagne Supernova.
Breast cancer 'can return 15 years after treatment ends'.
Media: Cannabis commercial mocks prescription drug commercials.
Honey Badger Houdini. Thanks Boing Boing. Maybe just set him free?
Jon Stewart Gives Conan NYC Citizenship Test.
Adam Savage won't work with Jamie Hyneman anymore. Thanks RedEye9.
Follow-up: Quest To Stop Mosquitoes With Bacteria Gets EPA Approval.
Kevin Spacey: Completed film to be reshot without accused actor.
Universal's 'Dark Universe' in Peril as Top Producers Exit.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 13:40 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 13:06:
he's a bit behind
Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_full

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 13:06 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 19:58:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 19:44:
I don't think you'd get leftovers. Any federal judgeship is an extremely prestigious position that any law firm or corporation would snap up if hiring a former judge. Also, 10 or so years per level: district, appeals, and supreme. Maybe 16 years is a good number so that each presidential term replaces a quarter of the judges. I'd also like to see term limits for the Senate and House.
Maybe. I did say "if not". It would be interesting to know what the average number of federal bench appointments there are every four years and if 16 year terms would lead to a significant increases in the number of appointments on average, over 4 years.

Typically there are hundreds per presidential term. The only ones we hear about on the news are the Supreme Court ones. Obama appointed 329 judges. Trump so far has only appointed 13, but there are 150 vacancies, so he's a bit behind. If there were term limits, that number would go up a bit, but it wouldn't do anything crazy like double.

Stay a while, and listen.

67. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 19:58 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 19:44:
I don't think you'd get leftovers. Any federal judgeship is an extremely prestigious position that any law firm or corporation would snap up if hiring a former judge. Also, 10 or so years per level: district, appeals, and supreme. Maybe 16 years is a good number so that each presidential term replaces a quarter of the judges. I'd also like to see term limits for the Senate and House.
Maybe. I did say "if not". It would be interesting to know what the average number of federal bench appointments there are every four years and if 16 year terms would lead to a significant increases in the number of appointments on average, over 4 years.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

66. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 19:44 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 09:53:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 09:30:
Over the past several years, I've decided federal judges should be term-limited. Having the same people on the bench for decades and decades just isn't good, especially with technology and culture changing so rapidly. 10 to 15 years should be the max you can serve on the bench at each level.
Yeah, it is a difficult situation. The idea behind making a life time appointment is it will supposedly remove political pressure -- as opposed to the premise of a judge who would be beholding to a political process to be reappointed or re-approved on a regular basis of some kind.

Unfortunately, the judiciary has become as politicized as everything else. Far too often judges are unable to put aside their own political opinions when making decisions on the law. You do see it happen sometimes, but much more frequent are seemingly "wrong" decisions which obviously follow the judge's political beliefs. This is further complicated by a population which often has problems understanding what "right" is. Look at how difficult the struggle for civil rights has been.

The problem with making the appointments term limited is are "good" jurists going to want to abandon a thriving career in their 40s or 50s for a temporary post? If not, we will be stuck with the "left-overs" manning our judiciary, which sounds like a bad idea. If there is an easy solution to this problem, I don't know what it is.

65. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 09:53 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 09:30:
Over the past several years, I've decided federal judges should be term-limited. Having the same people on the bench for decades and decades just isn't good, especially with technology and culture changing so rapidly. 10 to 15 years should be the max you can serve on the bench at each level.
Yeah, it is a difficult situation. The idea behind making a life time appointment is it will supposedly remove political pressure -- as opposed to the premise of a judge who would be beholding to a political process to be reappointed or re-approved on a regular basis of some kind.

Unfortunately, the judiciary has become as politicized as everything else. Far too often judges are unable to put aside their own political opinions when making decisions on the law. You do see it happen sometimes, but much more frequent are seemingly "wrong" decisions which obviously follow the judge's political beliefs. This is further complicated by a population which often has problems understanding what "right" is. Look at how difficult the struggle for civil rights has been.

The problem with making the appointments term limited is are "good" jurists going to want to abandon a thriving career in their 40s or 50s for a temporary post? If not, we will be stuck with the "left-overs" manning our judiciary, which sounds like a bad idea. If there is an easy solution to this problem, I don't know what it is.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2017, 09:30 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 22:36:
Anything and everything Trump says, pales in comparison to some of the things he is doing...

Did you see Trump's federal judge nominee? He is a 36 year old blogger who has never tried a case. As incredible as it might seem that Trump would nominate him is the fact that every GOP member of the judicial committee voted to forward the nomination onto the full Senate, including Jeff "all talk and no action" Flake.

The NYT article on it.

This loser could be on the bench for the next four decades if he gets approved, which is looking likely at this point. As I've said previously, we will be paying the price for the Trump presidency for an entire generation to come, possibly more.

63. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 22:36 Mr. Tact

Anything and everything Trump says, pales in comparison to some of the things he is doing...

Did you see Trump's federal judge nominee? He is a 36 year old blogger who has never tried a case. As incredible as it might seem that Trump would nominate him is the fact that every GOP member of the judicial committee voted to forward the nomination onto the full Senate, including Jeff "all talk and no action" Flake.

The NYT article on it.

This loser could be on the bench for the next four decades if he gets approved, which is looking likely at this point. As I've said previously, we will be paying the price for the Trump presidency for an entire generation to come, possibly more.

62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 21:50 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 20:56:
And here's the kicker.

dRumpf believes the word of a KGB agent trained in the art of deception and continues to refuse to believe the CIA.

Almost at 2 million; https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
donny, please read the Constitution

FBI: lying
CIA: lying
NSA: lying
Comey: lying
Clapper: lying
Hillary: lying
Obama: lying
Bush Jr: lying
Bush Sr: lying
Papadopoulos: lying
Media: lying
Democrats: lying
Corker: lying
McCain: lying
Puerto Rico: lying
Gold Star widow: lying
Scientists: lying
Sexual assault accusers: lying
Putin: not lying

What a farce.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

61. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 20:56 RedEye9

And here's the kicker.

dRumpf believes the word of a KGB agent trained in the art of deception and continues to refuse to believe the CIA.

Almost at 2 million; https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
donny, please read the Constitution

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2017, 21:12.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 13:29 jdreyer

Dacote wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 10:46:
Todd Akin's Congressional career ended after he lost a bid to unseat Democratic U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill in the 2012 election. Akin, who had won the Republican primary in a crowded field, led McCaskill in pre-election polls until he said that women who are victims of what he called "legitimate rape" rarely get pregnant. Akin eventually apologized for the remark but rebuffed calls to withdraw from the election. He lost to McCaskill. In a book published in July 2014, Akin said that he regretted apologizing and defended his original comments.
Republicans, nuff said

Let's not forget about "wide-stance" Larry Craig, the Republican that opposed gay rights who got caught soliciting gay sex in the men's room.

Or Ted Haggard, mega church evangelical pastor who preached the sins of homosexuality until outed by his gay "masseuse."

There are others, but you get the point.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 12:10 Mr. Tact

Nice. I hadn't heard that Akin had said he regretted the apology. Amazing.  

58. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 10:46 Dacote

Todd Akin's Congressional career ended after he lost a bid to unseat Democratic U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill in the 2012 election. Akin, who had won the Republican primary in a crowded field, led McCaskill in pre-election polls until he said that women who are victims of what he called "legitimate rape" rarely get pregnant. Akin eventually apologized for the remark but rebuffed calls to withdraw from the election. He lost to McCaskill. In a book published in July 2014, Akin said that he regretted apologizing and defended his original comments.
Republicans, nuff said

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 08:48 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 11, 2017, 02:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 21:02:
god should sue Roy Moore
For decades, one of the most sanctimonious moralizers in American politics has been Roy Moore, the longtime Bible-thumper in Alabama who crusaded against gays, transgender people, Islam and “sexual perversion.”
Don’t cite the bible to defend child molestation.

I wonder if he found Jesus after trying to date all those under aged girls. The newly reformed tend to be the biggest proselytizers.
"Blessed are the child molesters, for they shall have seats in the Senate."
-- No Bible Verse Ever

99 out of 100 times the people who tout the Bible the most, are usually the ones with the most to hide! Pharisees!!!

56. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2017, 02:28 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 21:02:
[url=https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/opinion/roy-moore-sexual-assault.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region®ion=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region]god should sue Roy Moore[/url]
For decades, one of the most sanctimonious moralizers in American politics has been Roy Moore, the longtime Bible-thumper in Alabama who crusaded against gays, transgender people, Islam and “sexual perversion.”

I wonder if he found Jesus after trying to date all those under aged girls. The newly reformed tend to be the biggest proselytizers.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 21:02 RedEye9

god should sue Roy Moore

54. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 16:56 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 15:36:
buh bye roy

Well Moore and Jones are tied. I guess we'll see if white identity politics Trumps anti-pedo sentiment or not.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 15:36 RedEye9

buh bye roy

52. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 15:10 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 14:35:
Yeah, like I said, I knew the "it was 40 years ago" thing was coming...

There's also the fact that the south has had a long history of older men marrying women under the age of 18. So it may have been and may still be considered "acceptable" to some people.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 14:51 RedEye9

Conservatives push a fake news narrative like the "Clinton-Comet Ping Pong Pizza Pedophilia Ring" without a shred of evidence or witness testimony, but when real accusations are levied against one of their own, they circle the wagons and put up a defense at all costs.The entire GOP has the slimy grime of Trump all over them.
But on a good note https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/10/nrsc-drops-out-of-fundraising-agreement-with-moore-244783

This is what a true heartfelt apology looks like, others should take note.
http://people.com/tv/louis-ck-admits-sexual-misconduct-allegations-are-true/

50. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 14:35 Mr. Tact

Yeah, like I said, I knew the "it was 40 years ago" thing was coming...  

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo