Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had a dentist appointment yesterday, but I got a call from the office to postpone it until next week. I joked with the young lady who called that I have a 48-hour cancellation policy, so I was going to have to charge them. She thought this was delightful, and promised to tell the doctor. Then I got a call about 45 minutes later, saying they had received the lab delivery that provoked the setback, so I could come in sooner if I wanted. I asked if my original appointment was still available, and was told it was already filled. Had I called them to cancel the appointment with three hours notice, the indeed would have charged me for my appointment, but in this case they were able to find someone to take my appointment in the time it takes to get a pizza delivered. It really does make me want to print up a bill for them.

R.I.P.: Overwatch and League of Legends veteran, Dennis 'INTERNETHULK' Hawelka, has died.
R.I.P.: Bond girl Karin Dor, star of You Only Live Twice, dies.

Billable Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: AFO Reloaded.
Story: Louisiana Deputy Shoots, Kills 12-Pound Family Dog. Complains about cost of the bullet. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: The future is here: Genetically engineered stem cells save a patient.
Superlong Supernova Explosion Defies Scientists' Understanding of Stars. Champagne Supernova.
Breast cancer 'can return 15 years after treatment ends'.
Media: Cannabis commercial mocks prescription drug commercials.
Honey Badger Houdini. Thanks Boing Boing. Maybe just set him free?
Jon Stewart Gives Conan NYC Citizenship Test.
Adam Savage won't work with Jamie Hyneman anymore. Thanks RedEye9.
Follow-up: Quest To Stop Mosquitoes With Bacteria Gets EPA Approval.
Kevin Spacey: Completed film to be reshot without accused actor.
Universal's 'Dark Universe' in Peril as Top Producers Exit.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:30 NKD

So Louis CK is a serial public masturbator? Fucking moron, no one wants to see you whack it. Well, almost no one. I'm sure someone has a fetish.  

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:15 Verno

There's the Louis C.K story I mentioned earlier.

Stay clean Bill Burr.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:05 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:14:
prayers were answered

What a creep. And what a bit of luck for the Dems. They got to play it right though.

ETA: Whoa, McConnell's calling for him to step aside. Didn't see that coming.
I'm glad that old men are having to re-examine their pasts - if "culture warrior" means what I think it does (and Roy Moore is labeled a "culture warrior"), I would bet that he hath denigrated a LOT of women with unthinking (or carefully thought out, or both) misogynist comments and actions during his 70 years.

Mitch ain't stoopid, he knows his party is on thin ice. Now is the time to tread carefully.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 14:54 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:14:
prayers were answered

What a creep. And what a bit of luck for the Dems. They got to play it right though.

ETA: Whoa, McConnell's calling for him to step aside. Didn't see that coming.

Stay a while, and listen.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 14:48 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:47:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:04:
Man, Kevin Spacey is DONE.
I have to say the whole explosion of sexual harassment charges in the news has me wondering a bit. Is it just me?

I read this stuff and it just doesn't fit into my life experience. I have neither witnessed nor heard personal accounts of these types of actions. And I'd like to think if I did witness it, I'd step in and say something. I don't think I've ignored it -- but it sounds so damn common I wonder if I have been blissfully ignorant?

I'll relate a couple of experiences.

I was working tech support at an insurance company, first job out of college. We got a new VP. She was mid 40s woman from Texas. She took a liking to me and would call support all the time for non-issues, requesting me specifically. Called me "boy toy" whenever I went up to her office, asked me out for drinks every time. Very annoying. I never went of course, and left that job shortly after (for unrelated reasons).

I had to go to the eye doctor 10 years ago for a blocked tear duct. The doctor was obviously gay, and in addition every description of every action he did to fix my issue was a not-so-subtle double entendre for 45 minutes straight. I was glad the nurse was there, although she was dead silent the entire time. Very unprofessional.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 14:31 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:04:
Man, Kevin Spacey is DONE. He won't be able to get a spot in a commercial anymore.

Talk about going from being high A list to trash in the space of one tweet.

Unfortunately he's got the money to hire a rentboy daily until he passes. He'll suffer nothing. What a waste. I've always appreciated his performances.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 14:29 Verno

Apparently a NY Times story is about to drop on Louis C.K., blah. Going to watch a few of his shows tonight one last time without this stuff hanging over it.

Just leave me Bill Burr, for the love of god.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 14:29 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:27:
"the dog came charging at me, grabbing at my legs and my boots". Yeah that's kind of what dogs do with strangers near their property deputy dipshit. Shot a 12 pound terrier because it humped his boot, what a tough guy.

What a fucking thug.

"I'll bite your kneecaps off!"

It's a shame he didn't shoot his own foot by mistake.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 14:10 Hoop

So they "filled" Ba-dum *pish* your original appointment, tell me you re-booked for tooth-hurty.  

Um .. Behind you...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 14:01 Dirwulf

Blue, your issue with the dentist is in a Seinfeld episode. Only it was the chiropractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECmtCdUtEMI

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 13:36 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 13:20:
Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:30:
mandatory snip
First to believe in conspiracy theories, last to believe in actual happenings. sad

Don't you mean "SAD!"

Come on dude.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 13:20 RedEye9

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:30:
mandatory snip
First to believe in conspiracy theories, last to believe in actual happenings. sad

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 13:08 NKD

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:57:

I'm sure you've seen it but Peace Officer was a pretty eye opening documentary on the militarization of police in North America.

Yep that's a really good documentary. Won a bunch of awards and shit too.

Orogogus wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 13:00:
NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:44:
Combine this with a bunch of former military joining up after their deployments treating suburbia like its fucking Fallujah.

There were articles recently about a Marine veteran who got fired for not gunning down a suspect and choosing to de-escalate the situation. They said in so many words that soldiers get more training in target discrimination and protecting civilians than police do, and are taught to accept a greater amount of personal risk.

One article, from last December: link

That's an interesting take on it. I wonder if there's a discrepancy between those who have seen combat action and those who haven't? I.e. how much of it is a difference in experience and how much is a difference in training. His department claims they fired him for some other stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got fired for trying to talk that guy down.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 13:00 Orogogus

Combine this with a bunch of former military joining up after their deployments treating suburbia like its fucking Fallujah.

There were articles recently about a Marine veteran who got fired for not gunning down a suspect and choosing to de-escalate the situation. They said in so many words that soldiers get more training in target discrimination and protecting civilians than police do, and are taught to accept a greater amount of personal risk.

One article, from last December: link

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:57 Verno

Cops in this country see anyone not wearing a badge as target practice. Dogs, cats, people. Doesn't matter. If you're not a fellow cop, you're an enemy combatant. They are indoctrinated into this in their training. Everyone is out to kill them, so they need to be ready to shoot first.

I'm sure you've seen it but Peace Officer was a pretty eye opening documentary on the militarization of police in North America.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:47 Beamer

Orogogus wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:38:
Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:59:
I have to say the whole explosion of sexual harassment charges in the news has me wondering a bit. Is it just me?

I read this stuff and it just doesn't fit into my life experience. I have neither witnessed nor heard personal accounts of these types of actions. And I'd like to think if I did witness it, I'd step in and say something. I don't think I've ignored it -- but it sounds so damn common I wonder if I have been blissfully ignorant?

1) I'd wager you have seen some awful things happen, but didn't fully realize they were awful at the time. You may have laughed with them. In a lot of these circumstances, the victims were laughing along with it because it was easier than saying something. That isn't consent.

That seems a little extreme without knowing Tact's environment and history, and assumes that not some or most but the overwhelming majority of settings have predation going on and don't do anything about it. I don't think it's impossible for someone to have escaped exposure, especially if they've always worked in companies that keep their managers in check, where everyone can see what's going on, and with HR departments that believe what they preach.

But the point at the end is probably applicable. The ones in the news lately are well-known Hollywood celebrities, politicians, Olympic coaches and other people with a high degree of power over other people's careers, often with no one above them to tell them what they can or can't do. If Tact doesn't deal with that kind of power I don't think it's inconceivable that he hasn't seen anything like the Spacey allegations in person before. A manager at a public library, for example, can only threaten so much misery on their employees, not enough to give them the expectation of getting away with anything outrageously heinous.

I find it hard to believe any American can make it through HS, let alone college, without seeing some form of sexual harassment that he didn't do anything about.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:44 NKD

Cops in this country see anyone not wearing a badge as target practice. Dogs, cats, people. Doesn't matter. If you're not a fellow cop, you're an enemy combatant. They are indoctrinated into this in their training. Everyone is out to kill them, so they need to be ready to shoot first.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:40 Verno

Who's to say Spacey actually did any of this stuff? There's no shortage or people out there willing to lie and jump on the bandwagon hoping to cash on some quick fame and fortune. Maybe he did get drunk and pushy at points but that's a long goddamn way off from rape. Remember what Lou Reed said, "Don't believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear." It's just way too easy these day to convict people in the court of public opinion without any actual real knowledge of the truth and that's wrong.

His vague apology and convenient timing on coming out indicate more than a little guilt to me. The number of accusations is too many to ignore but yeah I hope someone presses charges to make it formal. As for whether its rape or not, many of them were teenagers at the time, not even sure they could legally consent depending on the jurisdictions. Let's say you're right (which you never are), at best hes a still a fucking creep not worth defending.

We're at over 100 people with Weinstein, do you still think he's innocent too?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:38 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:59:

1) I'd wager you have seen some awful things happen, but didn't fully realize they were awful at the time. You may have laughed with them. In a lot of these circumstances, the victims were laughing along with it because it was easier than saying something. That isn't consent.

That seems a little extreme without knowing Tact's environment and history, and assumes that not some or most but the overwhelming majority of settings have predation going on and don't do anything about it. I don't think it's impossible for someone to have escaped exposure, especially if they've always worked in companies that keep their managers in check, where everyone can see what's going on, and with HR departments that believe what they preach.

But the point at the end is probably applicable. The ones in the news lately are well-known Hollywood celebrities, politicians, Olympic coaches and other people with a high degree of power over other people's careers, often with no one above them to tell them what they can or can't do. If Tact doesn't deal with that kind of power I don't think it's inconceivable that he hasn't seen anything like the Spacey allegations in person before. A manager at a public library, for example, can only threaten so much misery on their employees, not enough to give them the expectation of getting away with anything outrageously heinous.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo