Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had a dentist appointment yesterday, but I got a call from the office to postpone it until next week. I joked with the young lady who called that I have a 48-hour cancellation policy, so I was going to have to charge them. She thought this was delightful, and promised to tell the doctor. Then I got a call about 45 minutes later, saying they had received the lab delivery that provoked the setback, so I could come in sooner if I wanted. I asked if my original appointment was still available, and was told it was already filled. Had I called them to cancel the appointment with three hours notice, the indeed would have charged me for my appointment, but in this case they were able to find someone to take my appointment in the time it takes to get a pizza delivered. It really does make me want to print up a bill for them.

R.I.P.: Overwatch and League of Legends veteran, Dennis 'INTERNETHULK' Hawelka, has died.
R.I.P.: Bond girl Karin Dor, star of You Only Live Twice, dies.

Billable Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: AFO Reloaded.
Story: Louisiana Deputy Shoots, Kills 12-Pound Family Dog. Complains about cost of the bullet. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: The future is here: Genetically engineered stem cells save a patient.
Superlong Supernova Explosion Defies Scientists' Understanding of Stars. Champagne Supernova.
Breast cancer 'can return 15 years after treatment ends'.
Media: Cannabis commercial mocks prescription drug commercials.
Honey Badger Houdini. Thanks Boing Boing. Maybe just set him free?
Jon Stewart Gives Conan NYC Citizenship Test.
Adam Savage won't work with Jamie Hyneman anymore. Thanks RedEye9.
Follow-up: Quest To Stop Mosquitoes With Bacteria Gets EPA Approval.
Kevin Spacey: Completed film to be reshot without accused actor.
Universal's 'Dark Universe' in Peril as Top Producers Exit.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

49. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 13:16 RedEye9

Your average crazy god fearing Alabama evangelical doesn't have a problem with something that happened 40 years ago. And their Necronomicon backs them up.
“Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”
source-SAD!

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 11:04 Mr. Tact

Okay, I what I should have said was an "average GOP voter in Alabama". Are you in Alabama? Even if you are my guess is you are above "average". Listen, I lived in Montgomery for 3.5 years and it is a different place, even compared to the farm/rural areas where I went to HS in my home state of Illinois.

But even beyond that -- the talk is already about the "alleged" activities and Moore is denying any wrong doing. Which, is definitely his right to do. Perhaps the accusations are untrue. Whatever the truth is, he only has to cry "fake news" for about 30 days to get elected and then it is a done deal.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 10:40 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 09:18:
You say that jokingly (I assume) but I wouldn't be surprised if the general GOP voter's thoughts on the matter were something along the lines of, "That was more than 35 years ago. It is said and done, let's move on."

Absolutely not. I don't consider myself a "GOP voter" but a lot of my social and economical leanings make me vote for right of center candidates. I still want this guy gone. Just like Anthony Weiner, he is a sexual predator and while this might be stats barred (I have no idea), at the very least he needs to be out of power.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

46. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 09:18 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2017, 01:51:
"Sure he's a pedo, but at least he's not a Democrat!"
You say that jokingly (I assume) but I wouldn't be surprised if the general GOP voter's thoughts on the matter were something along the lines of, "That was more than 35 years ago. It is said and done, let's move on." As I indicated in my previous response -- the Ds had an "okay" chance against Moore. Against anyone who might be selected to replace him on the ballot (if he were to withdraw), they have almost no chance.

What I would be interested in hearing is this: 1) If he does withdraw, what is the process to get a different GOP candidate on the ballet? 2) I assume there is a deadline for when a different/new candidate can be added to the ballot. What is that deadline?

Edit: Ah, I didn't realize there was a "special election" scheduled for Dec 12th. I was assuming the election would be a year from now. So, the time has already passed for getting a replacement on the ballot. Okay -- so, this will be interesting to watch...

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2017, 10:31.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 07:54 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 16:19:
Because it's the age of the self-entitled politically correct where no molehill is too small to pass up and simply must be made into a mountain.

Do you spend a lot of your free time publicly masturbating with unwilling women? Nevermind, don't answer that, I suspect we already know the response.

Way to be so anti-PC, you're a true rebel.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2017, 01:51 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 22:34:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:14:
prayers were answered
What a creep. And what a bit of luck for the Dems. They got to play it right though.

ETA: Whoa, McConnell's calling for him to step aside. Didn't see that coming.
You guys don't understand Alabama politics. They re-elected the sitting Speaker of the Alabma House, after he had already been indicted for 23 federal corruption charges. And the GOP members re-elected him as Speaker. It was only after he was convicted and sentenced to a 4 year prison term that he was forced to relinquish his control of the House.

Not only is it possible Roy Moore won't step down, it is possible he will still win his run for US Senate. Worse, if he does step down and the GOP gets to appoint someone in his place -- it is very likely that person will win the Senate seat.

"Sure he's a pedo, but at least he's not a Democrat!"

Stay a while, and listen.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 23:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:15:
There's the Louis C.K story I mentioned earlier.

Stay clean Bill Burr.

God fucking dammit. I always found Louis C.K. hilarious. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, comedic genius, most likely mental issues in reality which apparently include some weird masturbation fetish. What a dumbass, if that's his kink, just fucking use some of your millions to pay for professionals to put up with your shit.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 22:34 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 14:14:
prayers were answered
What a creep. And what a bit of luck for the Dems. They got to play it right though.

ETA: Whoa, McConnell's calling for him to step aside. Didn't see that coming.
You guys don't understand Alabama politics. They re-elected the sitting Speaker of the Alabma House, after he had already been indicted for 23 federal corruption charges. And the GOP members re-elected him as Speaker. It was only after he was convicted and sentenced to a 4 year prison term that he was forced to relinquish his control of the House.

Not only is it possible Roy Moore won't step down, it is possible he will still win his run for US Senate. Worse, if he does step down and the GOP gets to appoint someone in his place -- it is very likely that person will win the Senate seat.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 17:34 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 17:21:
I hadn't heard about it before today, but I don't really follow the stand-up scene at all so that's probably why I hadn't learned about this.
You haven't missed anything, the entertainment scene is not worth following. Especially when the majority of it consists of powerful and famous "unnamed" director/comic/actor/musician is accused of x.
Guess who we are talking about and discuss it in our advertisement filled forum.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 17:24 Beamer

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 17:21:
Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 16:50:
But people have spoken up about him. Repeatedly. Is this one news to you guys? The rumors first hit right after Cosby, with people discussing how he'd be the next to go. Several female comics discussed a horrible person, and people figured out it was him, but they wouldn't name him.

Gawker covered it in 2012 Jen Kirkman, who worked with him, and Tig Notaro did an episode about it.

I hadn't heard about it before today, but I don't really follow the stand-up scene at all so that's probably why I hadn't learned about this.

Neither do I, I just remember when the Cosby thing hit people kept thinking this would be next. AVClub has definitely mentioned it a lot, because they're a more broad entertainment site and this has been something people thought was a long time coming.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 17:21 NKD

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 16:50:
But people have spoken up about him. Repeatedly. Is this one news to you guys? The rumors first hit right after Cosby, with people discussing how he'd be the next to go. Several female comics discussed a horrible person, and people figured out it was him, but they wouldn't name him.

Gawker covered it in 2012 Jen Kirkman, who worked with him, and Tig Notaro did an episode about it.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 16:50 Beamer

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:52:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:48:

Stay clean Bill Burr.

I wonder why so much of this stuff is coming out now. Is it just people feeling encouraged by others speaking up?

Yeah. No one wants to be the first to speak up about this shit, for fear no one will believe them and their career will be done. There's a huge push on social media to get people to come forward now so that people will understand the magnitude of the problem.

-------------

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 16:47 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 16:19:

Stay clean Bill Burr.

I wonder why so much of this stuff is coming out now. Is it just people feeling encouraged by others speaking up?

Because it's the age of the self-entitled politically correct where no molehill is too small to pass up and simply must be made into a mountain. Christ, I just heard on the radio today that people are starting to call for CFL team, Edmonton Eskimos to change their name because that's racist. FFS! Rolleyes

You make mountains out of molehills here daily.
Sorry if a man demanding to masturbate in front of you isn't something that would bother you.

-------------

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 16:19 Cutter

Stay clean Bill Burr.

Because it's the age of the self-entitled politically correct where no molehill is too small to pass up and simply must be made into a mountain. Christ, I just heard on the radio today that people are starting to call for CFL team, Edmonton Eskimos to change their name because that's racist. FFS! Rolleyes

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:59 RedEye9

The comments at not-too-brightbart have blamed Roy Moore's fall on everything from the 14 year old girl to the Washington Post.
thanks bannon

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:52 NKD

Stay clean Bill Burr.

Yeah. No one wants to be the first to speak up about this shit, for fear no one will believe them and their career will be done. There's a huge push on social media to get people to come forward now so that people will understand the magnitude of the problem.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:48 Creston

Stay clean Bill Burr.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:47 Mr. Tact

Concerning all the examples of harassment, personal or otherwise, relayed here -- while I am aware "that sort of thing happens" I really have to say I saw VERY little of it. I'm tempted to say I didn't see any, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt and guess there must have been one or two incidents. After thinking about it though, I realize my work experience is probably very different from most people. My entire job history:

Paperboy -- pre-HS
Detasseling corn -- pre-HS (summers only)

Grocery store bagger/stocker -- last two years of HS

Age 19-22: Different grocery store: Went from part-time bagger to Frozen Foods manage in nine months. Left after 4 years when I helped attempt to unionize the store, and failed.

Attended local Community College for two years.

Age 25-33: USAF

Age 33-54: A single "job". Started in a small company where I already knew most of the people working there. I created/started the help desk. Went on to become a Telecommucation Engineer, spent 3.5 years as a manager, before going back to be a foot soldier, eventually as a Network Engineer (routers and load balancer work mostly).

So, basically -- two real jobs. The USAF and my last one. The one with the most women around was the USAF, which obviously was seriously regimented. In my last one, as I said it was a small company. When I started there were two women, the office manager (who I had previously known) and my boss. An ex-IBM sales person who was a great person and boss. As the company grew there were additional women hired but frankly -- we were so busy working our asses off, there wasn't much time for sexual harassment. We were a small technical office. There were plenty of female sales and support staff, but they were stationed around the country and we rarely saw any of them in person.

We were all friends. Hell, in the early days, say the first five years or so -- it was a pretty standard day to work 10-12 hours, then everyone went out together for dinner and drinks. Then home to sleep and do it all again the next day.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:40 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:35:
NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:30:
So Louis CK is a serial public masturbator? Fucking moron, no one wants to see you whack it. Well, almost no one. I'm sure someone has a fetish.
stay clean Al Franken
Jeez, don't even joke. All those crazy years at SNL.

Stay a while, and listen.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 15:35 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 15:30:
So Louis CK is a serial public masturbator? Fucking moron, no one wants to see you whack it. Well, almost no one. I'm sure someone has a fetish.
stay clean Al Franken

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo