Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics

The good old gamers at GOG.com announce they've added three classic Sierra games from back in the day to the DRM-free offerings on their service, Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China, and Conqueror A.D. 1086. Here's word on the new additions, which include a pair of games developed by Dynamix:

Take a few bytes of gaming history with GOG.com, the digital game store where the oldies come to play.

Today, three productions from the Sierra & Dynamix back catalog return, including two legendary Jeff Tunnell adventures (designer for Incredible Machines, Willy Beamish, and Betrayal at Krondor) fully restored for with modern computers, exclusively on GOG.com:

Rise of the Dragon
With its noir cyberpunk setting, the Blade Runner inspirations are undeniable and that's a good enough reason to not pass this one by. Furthermore, the story-heavy gameplay and stylish art set the stage for years of unforgettable Sierra adventures, making Rise of the Dragon an influential release and noteworthy experience even today.

Heart of China
A product of its time through and through, this 1991 adventure plays like an interactive-comic trip through an admittedly outmoded depiction of 1930s China. According to Computer Gaming World, "Heart of China is everything a good adventure movie should be: fast-paced, tense, ingenious, witty, varied of locale and light of plot. Above all, it is entertaining." It was labeled one of the 50 best computer games ever by PC Format in 1991.

Conqueror A.D. 1086
Fast-forward a few years to 1995, and travel back to medieval Europe. Conqueror A.D. 1086 is a blend of strategy, management, and a sprinkle of action taking you from but a child, to conqueror of lands or slayer of dragons.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 18:18 Mordecai Walfish

qsto wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 10:14:
Whoever owns the rights for Westwood's Blade Runner missed the buss big time by not releasing it on GOG at the eve of 2049 premiere

I mean it's not like you can't acquire it elsewhere and patch it for modern systems
https://www.replaying.de/files/blade-runner-patch-windows-vista-7-8-x64/

But it's just a shame that a great and very gracefully aged classic adventure such as this is not yet on GOG

There was an issue with all the source data being lost for Blade Runner

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 10:14 qsto

Whoever owns the rights for Westwood's Blade Runner missed the buss big time by not releasing it on GOG at the eve of 2049 premiere

I mean it's not like you can't acquire it elsewhere and patch it for modern systems
https://www.replaying.de/files/blade-runner-patch-windows-vista-7-8-x64/

But it's just a shame that a great and very gracefully aged classic adventure such as this is not yet on GOG

12. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 09:55 CJ_Parker

Optimaximal wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 04:40:
Future Shock

I asked the Bethesda EU PR Manager whether he can look into getting Future Shock and Skynet (and possibly the earlier releases) up on GOG or whether they're tied up in licensing hell. He said he'd look into it with Todd Howard.

Well, let's hope it is not the same "look into" as that Microsoft product manager chick who posted in the Freelancer thread about five years ago that she would "look into" forwarding the Freelancer/Starlancer request to someone higher up Wink .

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2017, 10:08.

11. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 07:50 Acleacius

Optimaximal wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 04:40:
Future Shock

I asked the Bethesda EU PR Manager whether he can look into getting Future Shock and Skynet (and possibly the earlier releases) up on GOG or whether they're tied up in licensing hell. He said he'd look into it with Todd Howard.
Great idea, keep us updated!

Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.

10. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 07:02 Nailbender

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 20:15:
Drakan "lesser known"? Que el fucko?!?

That game was bundled with just about every single graphics card on the market for a year or two back in the day and given away for free on magazine CDs/DVDs about a billion times.

Seriously, in Y2K it probably would have been harder to find a single PC owner who did NOT own a copy of Drakan (or at least heard of it) than the other way around.

Really? Too bad I didn't know it at the time - I bought a full priced, boxed copy (but probably just when it came out, before copies were abundant I guess). It really was something back then.

Also, Rise of the Dragon! Sweet. I also never played Heart of China I think, but heard of it.

9. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 04:40 Optimaximal

Future Shock

8. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 00:48 Acleacius

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 20:15:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 19:54:
Damn, besides the obvious games like NOLF & NOLF 2, I've been hoping for a couple of lesser known games:
Drakan Order of the Flame

That game was bundled with just about every single graphics card on the market for a year or two back in the day and given away for free on magazine CDs/DVDs about a billion times.

Seriously, in Y2K it probably would have been harder to find a single PC owner who did NOT own a copy of Drakan (or at least heard of it) than the other way around.
Now days, all those people are old and grumpy!

7. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 9, 2017, 00:37 .Drifter

Loved Rise of the Dragon back in the day. I seem to remember that it was supposed to be the first in a series though?  

6. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 22:29 Burrito of Peace

Snagged all three, loved them back in the day. Especially Rise of the Dragon.  

5. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 21:09 Dacote

Damn, besides the obvious games like NOLF & NOLF 2, I've been hoping for a couple of lesser known games:
Future Shock
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain 1996 (original)
Hammer & Sickle
Wheel of Time
That would be a sweet bundle.

4. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 20:15 CJ_Parker

3. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 20:04 Bill Borre

I thought of the Manhunter games too when I saw the post. Played those as well as Rise of the Dragon.  

2. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 20:00 MacLeod

Nice... I've been waiting for someone to release Rise of the Dragon.

Now I wish someone would remake Sierra's Manhunter games with modern graphics (like they did with Gabriel Knight), and maybe finish the series with a third game.

1. Re: GOG Revives Three Sierra Classics Nov 8, 2017, 19:54 Acleacius

Future Shock
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain 1996 (original)
Hammer & Sickle
Wheel of Time

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo