Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 10:03 RedEye9

Congratulations to Raja, it will be interesting to see what Intel develops with such a world class resource at its disposal.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Intel to Develop Discrete GPUs, Hires Raja Koduri as Chief Architect. Nov 9, 2017, 09:08 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 20:15:
Holy shit, that's huge.

AMD's chief engineer for their GPU's has jumped ship and joined with Intel so they can start creating high-end discrete GPU's? Did not see that coming!

More competition is great for us consumers, but I really don't see AMD lasting very long the way things are currently going with them. They may as well just make ASIC devices for bitcoin miners at this point.

Raja fucking blew it with AMDs GPU division so that's not necessarily doing them any favors. Seriously he was so bad and uncommitted that Lisa Su had to do his fucking Computex presentation for him. IMO He's a dreamer who can't execute, he spent more time farting around as an extra on a movie set than ensuring the Vega launch would go smoothly. Taking a six month sabbatical right after launching a stinker, way to go down with the ship.

I hope Intel keeps a tight leash on him.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 04:52 eRe4s3r

Sounds like MS Bob... amazing that this technology did not advance at all the past decade....  

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 02:40 CJ_Parker

Never say never but I very much doubt that Intel has any interest to enter the consumer dGPU market. They could have done this a looong time ago (remember project Larrabee?) and decided not to.

What they are after is certainly the advanced AI, automotive, datacenter market to compete with AMD and nVidia for multi-billion $$$ deals.

I'll be surprised if they really do a consumer dGPU. They'd have to compete with AMD and nVidia which would inevitably lead to price wars and relatively low margins.

As the new kid on the block they would be facing massive up front investments to get board partners umm... on board and to build up the whole retail infrastructure, marketing, all that crap.
And for what? Very little gain. The desktop PC market is still in decline at a small rate instead of growing.

Nope. A third competitor in dGPUs would be great for us consumers but it does not seem very realistic. This Intel move is definitely about wrestling with AMD and nVidia in the professional sector.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 9, 2017, 01:18 Vio

In Amazon’s game engine, voice actors can now be replaced with robots. Robots that don't go on strike.
Warning Mass Effect Andromeda incoming.

Seriously that video was off putting because all their "showing of how awesome it is stuff" is an absolute pile of shit compared to the real.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 22:49 Burrito of Peace

So the Intel news is a bit interesting. Intel is also competing heavily against Nvidia right now in several different market spaces. What Intel has that AMD does not is both money and R&D resources to take Nvidia on in both the enterprise sector and consumer sector.

If they, Intel, were to reach parity with Nvidia in the consumer graphics card arena (and I grant that is a big ask), I would probably switch. I am a Linux user and Intel is phenomenal in their support of Linux in terms of drivers and development. Intel also has its own performance oriented Linux distro called Clear, for those that do not know. Moreover, Intel owns a fairly decent sized chunk of Red Hat.

It'll be interesting to see in the next 2-5 years.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 22:24 Quboid

Robots that don't go on strike.

Yet.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 20:58 Mordecai Walfish

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 20:17:
For those curious about the whole AMD -> Intel Raja thing...

I previously posted on Blue's about how it was an open secret that people wanted to acquire AMD but only in parts. Specifically, I stated (as a relevant example) that Samsung wanted the CPU division but would have spun off and sold the GPU division (which Raja led) to Intel. It's clear now that this discussion did take place but did not pan out that way - possibly due to the current market - and instead we have AMD cooperating with Intel with on-die GPUs even as the latter scooped up Raja for their own ends. Keep in mind that the last "discrete GPU" project from Intel, Larrabee, led to a specialized CPU design leveraged only for specific AI tasks, so it's important not to read into this too much. Given the compute performance (architecture) of Vega it's not like they hired him to make gaming chips.

Intel has vastly more money and resources to put into R&D for a new graphics architecture with Raja at the helm. With AMD, it's been the same old stuff for a long time, expanding on their existing architecture, which has had problems delivering competitive performance without jacking up the power requirements and thermal levels.

Even with the new competition against NVidia, I don't see prices coming down really if these new discrete GPU's do come into fruition from Intel, as there is always the Intel premium (regarding price), no matter what product you get from them.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 20:42 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 19:52:

Worse, robots go rogue and destroy humanity
and don't go on strike during the destruction, it's a win win.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 20:17 NewMaxx

For those curious about the whole AMD -> Intel Raja thing...

I previously posted on Blue's about how it was an open secret that people wanted to acquire AMD but only in parts. Specifically, I stated (as a relevant example) that Samsung wanted the CPU division but would have spun off and sold the GPU division (which Raja led) to Intel. It's clear now that this discussion did take place but did not pan out that way - possibly due to the current market - and instead we have AMD cooperating with Intel with on-die GPUs even as the latter scooped up Raja for their own ends. Keep in mind that the last "discrete GPU" project from Intel, Larrabee, led to a specialized CPU design leveraged only for specific AI tasks, so it's important not to read into this too much. Given the compute performance (architecture) of Vega it's not like they hired him to make gaming chips.

2. Intel to Develop Discrete GPUs, Hires Raja Koduri as Chief Architect. Nov 8, 2017, 20:15 Mordecai Walfish

Holy shit, that's huge.

AMD's chief engineer for their GPU's has jumped ship and joined with Intel so they can start creating high-end discrete GPU's? Did not see that coming!

More competition is great for us consumers, but I really don't see AMD lasting very long the way things are currently going with them. They may as well just make ASIC devices for bitcoin miners at this point.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 19:52 NKD

Worse, robots go rogue and destroy humanity

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo