Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch

Activision celebrates the success of Call of Duty: WWII, saying their military shooter sequel earned over half-a-billion dollars during its three-day launch weekend. They make a favorable apples-to-oranges comparison to the launches of recent blockbuster films, and say it sold twice as many units as last year's Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare launch, so presumably nobody is complaining about player counts. Here's word:

Activision’s Call of Duty®: WWII has surpassed more than $500 million in sell-through worldwide in its first three days of release, topping popular theatrical box office openings Thor: Ragnarok and Wonder Woman combined, according to company estimates.

On PlayStation®4, Call of Duty: WWII set a record as the best-selling digital full game by units sold on its first day of availability. Overall unit sales at launch doubled year-over-year globally.

The gripping, personal narrative, boots-on-the-ground multiplayer and terrifying nazi zombies mode attracted players worldwide resulting in the highest total connected users on current generation consoles and PC in Call of Duty® history.

"We challenged our players to get their squads back together and they answered the call, with the highest number of players we’ve ever seen on current gen consoles and PC,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision. “Call of Duty: WWII returns the franchise to its roots and the results are incredible, selling twice as many units in its opening weekend as last year, and setting the day one record for full-game downloads on PlayStation 4. Our $500 million opening weekend was not only bigger than Thor: Ragnarok's, it was bigger than the opening weekends of both Thor and Wonder Woman combined. And we're committed to supporting the community with continuous improvements and new content.”

Figures include Call of Duty: WWII retail and digital sell-through, and reported movie sales, each for the opening three-days following initial launch, according to publicly-available data, retail customer sell-through information and internal Activision estimates. Digital downloads of Call of Duty: WWII is based on unit sell-through on first day of availability.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 9, 2017, 00:32 Steele Johnson

I love games that let you sit back and watch itself play.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2017, 20:38 Tut tut tut!!!

The minority are the intelligent. The vast majority like you are half-wits.;-)  

15. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2017, 19:44 Luke

Let's throw out a number the sheep's will think ohh it must be good and go buy it , he'll it worked for wow  

14. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2017, 18:19 Kxmode

deqer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 14:29:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 10:33:
WWII for dummies... is basically what this game is. I'm not sure why so many people, including review sites think this game is good. Confused

Because not everyone is like you. In fact, if you dislike things for "dummies", then you are part of the minority.

Agreed. It's taxing to listen or read comments from armchair critics sniveling about something they haven't actually played.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

13. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2017, 14:49 Slick

I think the best CoD-Battlefield comparison I could make is the following:

People often say that BF2 was the height of the Battlefield franchise. I could offer many objective reasons why this isn't the case.

People also often say that CoD IV MW was the height of the CoD franchise. In this case I have trouble proving them wrong.

Both of these postulations hinge on the progress the devlopers have made over 10 years. In CoD's case, it feels like CoD WWII is getting closer to the original CoD formula, while BF games are closer to the original vision of what DICE wanted to achieve with their game, although the engine at the time could never support it.

Maybe it's just me, but one franchise seems to be genuinely looking towards the future, and the other is firmly stuck chasing the past. Seems like the biggest difference to me, and probably why I don't really care for CoD even if I enjoy a good 6v6 infantry romp.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

12. Re: etc. Nov 8, 2017, 14:29 deqer

WWII for dummies... is basically what this game is. I'm not sure why so many people, including review sites think this game is good. Confused

Because not everyone is like you. In fact, if you dislike things for "dummies", then you are part of the minority.

11. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 8, 2017, 14:14 Beamer

Slick wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 12:35:
Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 11:57:
Slick wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 10:40:
Someone please find me a youtube clip of the multiplayer running animations. The characters just kind of float 2 inches above the ground doing some wacky 1920's chorus line dance thing that's hard to describe but absolutely immersion-breaking anytime I see a stream...

Fuck CoD.

They've had too many chances, and they keep coming back to their shit-ass Q3A-derived engine from 1999. Another half a billion dollars in a week eh? Think they can put 50 of that towards developing an engine that could compete with Frostbite? NAHHHHHHHH.

Didn't you say in another thread all of your judgments were based on the beta, and someone else clarified that the graphics and animations had improved significantly since then?

This is why companies loathe public betas.

As for other complaints, I don't get why people compare this to Battlefield. They're different games. I had a blast with the first three MW games, but have hated every Battlefield game I've played. MW games are running around killing people face to face in small squads, with small battlefields, getting fun toys unlocked for doing well. Battlefield is huge battlefields with tons of people and spending a lot of time getting sniped from god knows where, waiting for a vehicle to spawn, or running around trying to figure out where people are. Yes, you'll say I'm focusing on outdated negatives of the game, but there's no real reason to compare the two. They don't direct compete anymore because they're very different games with very different players.

Actually I didn't compare CoD to Battlefield in this thread (although I often do elsewhere). I was comparing CoD's shit ass Q3A-derived engine to Frostbite.

Also, as I stated above, and mentioned in another thread, I've been watching CoD streams, mostly on Twitch. And the ridiculous animations are still there. I feel like there should be Benny Hill - Yakity Sax playing in the background watching these WWII soldiers dancing around the 100ft x 100ft sized map.

Sorry, I meant other complaints as in complaints in this thread, not from you. It wasn't really clear from my post.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Refunded unfortunately... Nov 8, 2017, 14:04 DangerDog

Jagacademy wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 11:34:
I bought this, but ended up refunding it.

Was enjoying the single player, then ran into a quicktime event. Seriously?! (and then to add insult to injury, after asking me to mash "A" as rapidly as possible, then "B" as rapidly as possible, it then asked me to mash "Unbound" as rapidly as possible, so I died)

Multiplayer hit detection is awful as well, one game plays perfectly fine, the next game you can load entire clips into people's backs and they turn around and instagib you.

Now awaiting Battlefront 2, but my expectations are low. This past couple month's AAA releases have all been trash, thank god the indie development scene gives you options.

Battlefront 2 is out in EA "early" Access right now, aside from the really nice looking Star Wars visuals the game itself doesn't interest me.

Some new information, apparently no cheat protection on PC and of course no server browser. I don't think they did anything regarding "playing together with a friend in your squad". Everyone gets the same amount of battle points regardless of how well you played, bonus progression is tied to completing objectives.

As for CoD, looks like they can continue to recycle this engine for another 10 years.

9. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 8, 2017, 12:35 Slick

Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 11:57:
Someone please find me a youtube clip of the multiplayer running animations. The characters just kind of float 2 inches above the ground doing some wacky 1920's chorus line dance thing that's hard to describe but absolutely immersion-breaking anytime I see a stream...

Fuck CoD.

They've had too many chances, and they keep coming back to their shit-ass Q3A-derived engine from 1999. Another half a billion dollars in a week eh? Think they can put 50 of that towards developing an engine that could compete with Frostbite? NAHHHHHHHH.

Didn't you say in another thread all of your judgments were based on the beta, and someone else clarified that the graphics and animations had improved significantly since then?

As for other complaints, I don't get why people compare this to Battlefield. They're different games. I had a blast with the first three MW games, but have hated every Battlefield game I've played. MW games are running around killing people face to face in small squads, with small battlefields, getting fun toys unlocked for doing well. Battlefield is huge battlefields with tons of people and spending a lot of time getting sniped from god knows where, waiting for a vehicle to spawn, or running around trying to figure out where people are. Yes, you'll say I'm focusing on outdated negatives of the game, but there's no real reason to compare the two. They don't direct compete anymore because they're very different games with very different players.

Actually I didn't compare CoD to Battlefield in this thread (although I often do elsewhere). I was comparing CoD's shit ass Q3A-derived engine to Frostbite.

Also, as I stated above, and mentioned in another thread, I've been watching CoD streams, mostly on Twitch. And the ridiculous animations are still there. I feel like there should be Benny Hill - Yakity Sax playing in the background watching these WWII soldiers dancing around the 100ft x 100ft sized map.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

8. Re: Refunded unfortunately... Nov 8, 2017, 12:21 Rhett

If nothing else that new social space looks pretty sweet and well-done, but they treat PC gamers like second-hand garbage. These ports are just awful.  

7. Re: Refunded unfortunately... Nov 8, 2017, 12:11 RedEye9

Jagacademy wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 11:34:
(and then to add insult to injury, after asking me to mash "A" as rapidly as possible, then "B" as rapidly as possible, it then asked me to mash "Unbound" as rapidly as possible, so I died)
New and exciting gameplay modes

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

6. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 8, 2017, 11:57 Beamer

Fuck CoD.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 8, 2017, 11:38 jdreyer

I think because it's "less bad" than its recent predecessors?

Also, because IT'S WW II!!!11 and for some reason people hold that theme in a special place in their hearts.

Stay a while, and listen.

4. Refunded unfortunately... Nov 8, 2017, 11:34 Jagacademy

I bought this, but ended up refunding it.

Was enjoying the single player, then ran into a quicktime event. Seriously?! (and then to add insult to injury, after asking me to mash "A" as rapidly as possible, then "B" as rapidly as possible, it then asked me to mash "Unbound" as rapidly as possible, so I died)

Multiplayer hit detection is awful as well, one game plays perfectly fine, the next game you can load entire clips into people's backs and they turn around and instagib you.

Now awaiting Battlefront 2, but my expectations are low. This past couple month's AAA releases have all been trash, thank god the indie development scene gives you options.

3. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 8, 2017, 10:40 Slick

Fuck CoD.

2. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 8, 2017, 10:40 BIGtrouble77

Every time I see a WW2 COD I get super excited, then the game comes out and I realize what a piece of shit the gameplay is.  

1. Re: Call of Duty: WWII's Big Launch Nov 8, 2017, 10:33 OldDirtyEwok

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo