Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Financials

Ubisoft reports first-half 2017-2018 sales and earnings, showing an upswing they explain thusly: "Group's outperformance once again buoyed by its strategy of extending game experiences and by new high-quality offerings." As for the big numbers, they say: "Gross margin rose to 83.7% of sales and €390.1 million in absolute value terms (compared with 80.5% and €226.4 million in the first six months of 2016-17). Ubisoft ended the first half of 2017-18 with non-IFRS operating income of €3.1 million versus a non-IFRS operating loss of €61.8 million in first-half 2016-17." One interesting element noted by Gamasutra is that for the first time Ubi's microtransactions brought in more revenue than digital game sales alone. The financial news includes word from the boss:

Yves Guillemot, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, stated: "We continue to offer players outstanding game experiences with unrivalled variety - ranging from Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle to Assassin's Creed Origins, and including South Park: The Fractured but Whole. In addition to these new releases, players are engaging with a large amount of additional high-quality content which provides them with longer-term entertainment. This includes Blood Orchid, the recent major update to Rainbow Six Siege, and Ghost War, the highly-acclaimed PvP mode for Ghost Recon Wildlands. And it doesn't stop there: in the coming weeks we will notably release Resistance, a massive free update to The Division, and South Park: Phone Destroyer, a free-to-play mobile game. Our commitment to providing high-quality game experiences and supporting them for the long term is driven by the importance we place on our player communities. This winning content strategy drove a 66% surge in our sales for the first half of 2017-18 - largely exceeding our targets - as well as a sharp increase in our earnings."

Guillemot concluded "The quality of our new releases is the result of our effort to transform our model and make our business more profitable and recurring. Given longer development lead times, our talents can fully express their creative visions and therefore maximize the potential of our games. The success of these releases - notably the 100%2 sales growth for Assassin's Creed Origins - combined with solid live operations demonstrate that Ubisoft is ideally positioned to deliver further growth in future fiscal years, both in terms of financial performance and shareholder value."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 15:21 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 14:40:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 13:08:
Slick wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 00:46:
...but do you hate that 1% who throws $10k at the game? Cause those people are bankrolling development for the rest of us. Not that our $60 doesn't count, but theirs counts a lot more.

Wouldn't you agree that if it's only cosmetic or convenience, then who really cares?

You do realize you're arguing about made up stats, right?

Of course the stats are made up. The accuracy of the numbers isn't the point. It's that there's a tiny fraction of whales, then there's the rest of us.

Then say that. Don't throw out fake percentages to prove a point.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 14:40 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 13:08:
...but do you hate that 1% who throws $10k at the game? Cause those people are bankrolling development for the rest of us. Not that our $60 doesn't count, but theirs counts a lot more.

Wouldn't you agree that if it's only cosmetic or convenience, then who really cares?

Of course the stats are made up. The accuracy of the numbers isn't the point. It's that there's a tiny fraction of whales, then there's the rest of us.

Stay a while, and listen.

22. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 13:57 RedEye9

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 09:28:
I micro transaction the SHIT out UBI Soft games. I cant help it. They have cool stuff in there. So yeah. I like them and love you all
“A fool and his money are soon parted”

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

21. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 13:16 Kxmode

I have no problems with ACO's microtransactions. Most of the stuff they sell is vanity and convenience stuff. They have nothing that hinders your ability to play and complete the game. IOW stop complaining about something that's an eventuality and is trivial to the core game.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

20. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 13:10 Kxmode

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 09:28:
I micro transaction the SHIT out UBI Soft games. I cant help it. They have cool stuff in there.

So yeah. I like them and fuck you all

Don't apologies. You have money to spend. No regrets. The haters are typically poor suckers.

19. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 13:08 Kxmode

18. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 13:07 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 00:35:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:36:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 19:46:
microtransactions brought in more revenue than digital game sales
We are doomed

Actually, it's what "we" want. "We" bought those microtransactions.

Who's "we" paleface? I am most certainly not down with the sickness.

Well, there's the 99% "we" who hate this shit. Then there's the 1% "we" that spend $10,000 on DLC/MT/lootboxes/gambling/hats

76% of statistics are made up.

17. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 12:57 Creston

MacLeod wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 08:43:
Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 23:40:
I hope AC Origins sell very well, because it's a great game. Having an absolute fucking blast with it.

Only thing I'm not happy about: The Trial of the Gods dropped today, and it's level 40 content, and it ends in six days. So, I guess fuck you to everyone who can't make it to level 40 in time, Ubi? :\

I was initially bothered by that as well. But they've said it will repeat. I'm guessing as they add them, they'll cycle back through them all, once all the gods have been released.

I hope so. I'm trying to make 40 before the time ends, but the last 10 levels need so much fucking XP...

16. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 10:37 Slick

lol, I' don't MT the shit out of anything (except the fucking South Park mobile game... UGH I feel so dirty but have spent like $150 on it).

But I did buy a "Wrench" figurine from Watch Dogs 2 to sit on my desk for $60, that was well worth it.

Also JD, I see your point with convenience for PvE as a distinction, I guess I'm just not phased personally if it's for PvP too.

I mean, there are always going to be little try-hards who blast through any progression waaaaay before me regardless if there's MTs or not. No matter what, I'm never going to be sitting alone ontop of Mt. Unlocks. So if I can make peace with 100,000 players getting there faster than me anyways, what's another 10,000 getting there buy buying the equivalent of XP boosts? I just really don't care that much.

None of that touches ACTUAL pay-2-win, which is always abhorrent.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

15. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 09:28 Angrius Maximis

I micro transaction the SHIT out UBI Soft games. I cant help it. They have cool stuff in there.

So yeah. I like them and fuck you all

14. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 08:43 MacLeod

I hope AC Origins sell very well, because it's a great game. Having an absolute fucking blast with it.

Only thing I'm not happy about: The Trial of the Gods dropped today, and it's level 40 content, and it ends in six days. So, I guess fuck you to everyone who can't make it to level 40 in time, Ubi? :\

I was initially bothered by that as well. But they've said it will repeat. I'm guessing as they add them, they'll cycle back through them all, once all the gods have been released.

13. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 02:03 jdreyer

Star Citizen wouldn't exist without the whales.

Cosmetic sounds fine, convenience is fine in PvE.

I think the problems start when the MT strategy gets applied to games where neither cosmetic nor convenience exist, then it becomes pay to win.

12. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 01:54 jacobvandy

Agreed, it's awesome. I saw that event, too, though from what I understand it's a rotating thing that will come back around after similar events have their turn.

11. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 00:49 NKD

If the alternative to 1% throwing $10k is the rest of us paying an extra $20 for a new game, no thanks.

They are going to get the money somewhere. So far I've not felt compelled in any game to participate in microtransactions. So for me, it's a win. The company gets money from people who aren't me, and I get to play the game at the same price for a little longer.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

10. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 00:46 Slick

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

9. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 8, 2017, 00:35 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:36:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 20:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 19:46:
microtransactions brought in more revenue than digital game sales
We are doomed

Actually, it's what "we" want. "We" bought those microtransactions.

Who's "we" paleface? I am most certainly not down with the sickness.

Well, there's the 99% "we" who hate this shit. Then there's the 1% "we" that spend $10,000 on DLC/MT/lootboxes/gambling/hats

8. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 7, 2017, 23:40 Creston

7. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 7, 2017, 23:26 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 23:11:
That's just Gamasutra's clickbait headline, the chart they took from Ubisoft's slideshow lists the various elements in small print. Ubisoft calls the category "Player Recurring Investment" and it includes everything that is not a digital game sale.

well farts.

6. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 7, 2017, 23:11 jacobvandy

That's just Gamasutra's clickbait headline, the chart they took from Ubisoft's slideshow lists the various elements in small print. Ubisoft calls the category "Player Recurring Investment" and it includes everything that is not a digital game sale.  

5. Re: Ubisoft Financials Nov 7, 2017, 21:46 Slick

I don't know, they said "microtransactions" specifically, not just downloadable content, which would encompass season passes, DLC etc. etc.

That's pretty crazy.

Well this could be good or bad, I mean, if they get money from gamers who want to blow $10,000 on bullshit, then hopefully that will translate to more/better/free-er content for the rest of us, trying to entire a bigger net of gamers to do the microtransactions. If no one plays the games, no one is going to pay $10,000 for a 5000 packs of nonsense.

As long as they don't go beyond aesthetic and convenience shit with microtransactions, I don't really care. When they start offering weapons/gear/abilities that are ONLY available through a microtransaction that have BETTER stats than anything earnable in-game, then that's where I draw the line.

Still pretty mad tho...

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo