Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition

IO Interactive announces the release of the HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition, which collects the entirety of the recent episodic installment in the assassin-for-hire series. Here's the trailer, and here's an outline of the contents to hopefully justify the game's AAA+ price point of $61.51 USD:

We are super excited to announce HITMAN Game of the Year Edition!

This awesome package includes The Complete First Season, the brand new 'Patient Zero' campaign, new Escalation Contracts, new weapons, new suits, new challenges, improvements to existing features and new lighting enhancements to all locations that make the game look better than ever - plus we have a few more surprises!

HITMAN - Game of the Year Edition will be released digitally on November 7th 2017 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Here's a full rundown of what's included:

• HITMAN The Complete First Season
  • New: 'Patient Zero' Campaign
  • New: Clown Suit and themed weapon
  • New: Raven Suit and themed weapon
  • New: Cowboy Suit and themed weapon
  • New: 3 themed Escalation Contracts

The full details on all of this content can be found on our detailed blog post right here:
http://www.ioi.dk/hitman-goty-edition-announcement/

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 8, 2017, 01:55 GL1zdA

Quinn wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 12:19:
Rhett wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 11:39:
Still haven't tried this one, anyone have any comparisons?

This game brings the same feature that broke Hitman Absolution for me: what should be hidden Steam achievements are entangled within the very fabric of the game. You start your mission, hit [TAB] or whatever and immediately see in which ways you can kill your target. Horrible. What was once a game that cared for both story-telling and gameplay, has now become a glorified assassination simulator. I cannot put it any better than that.
You know you can turn this off in the settings?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 19:11 Quboid

MT Silver wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 18:42:
Well yes. You can always just blast your way through if you get frustrated. That's for weaklings though. These aren't action games. They're more like puzzle games, where the joy comes from figuring out how to perfectly kill someone without getting caught, or doing it in some bizarre hilarious way.

I didn't have much luck blasting my way out of trouble. Maybe if there were a couple of enemies nearby, but if a lot got alerted then I'd be done.

I liked old Hitman games and hated Absolution. I was pleasantly surprised by Hitman 2016, it's a good addition to the series. As mentioned before, turn off Opportunities to avoid having the game hold your hand - the scripted kills still feel a bit contrived but no more than they did in the old, good Hitman games.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

11. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 18:42 MT Silver

Well yes. You can always just blast your way through if you get frustrated. That's for weaklings though. These aren't action games. They're more like puzzle games, where the joy comes from figuring out how to perfectly kill someone without getting caught, or doing it in some bizarre hilarious way.  

10. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 16:47 Rhett

Didn't even know there was a demo, thanks. Kept avoiding the game due to the fractured DLC-esque nature of the game, but now that it's out...

And by "arcadey" I just meant that you could typically shoot your way through Absolution if you dared to. Not that I would, I just thought it was kinda dumb that you could throw stealth out the window.

9. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 15:46 Jagacademy

I tried a couple of these in the past, but they always felt too "scripted".

Hard to describe, but this is what I mean: "Press X to do Y". But X doesn't come naturally, it's a scripted event. For example, X could be anything, such as "loosening the cable, so that it falls and electrocutes person taking a bath." There would be dozens of such cables in the game that you can't interact with whatsoever, but this one in particular can be loosened. Just feels fake and scripted to me. Like the gameplay is nothing more than just being given a choice of possible X's to choose from, nothing feels like I am organically acting with the game world.

Does this feel the same? Guess I will try the demo.

8. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 14:53 CJ_Parker

Good bundle. Now they need to drop it to $9.99 and then we're talking about a possible purchase.  

7. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 14:24 MT Silver

One final note: it has a demo so if you're still not sure just try it out yourself and know for certain.  

6. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 13:20 Dacron

Rhett wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 13:00:
So it's still fairly arcadey? But what about replay value? I've read that there seems to be a fair bit, and that's what's most important to me (sorta like Contracts from Absolution). Though I'll definitely wait for a sale.

Every level, after the main mission, has dozens of other targets/missions to take on. Generally lower level guys than the primary target from the mission. the need to be assassinated in a certain location / certain weapon or by using a trap (or all 3 for multiple targets).

So while the main mission may be easy to repeat endlessly once you figured them out (as all hitman games are to me), there are lots of variations / challenges that take you away from areas you know well. AND you can add harder community challengers - or make your own (selecting who you need to kill, where, how etc...).

You can turn off some of the stuff these guys are talking about by turning off opportunities or putting them to minimal. These alert you to routes / play opportunities that might not be apparent (Unless you killed the target they specifically alert you to in the opportunity randomly and figure it out). On full - it's a guide, on minimal - it's route suggestion, on off - you have to discover everything yourself.

I enjoyed it. There was a lot of variation, they also added bonus missions to almost every level which significantly changed the scope / size / play ability of the level (Christmas in Paris fashion show, Filming a horror movie on the Italian beach location at night etc...). Which feature a new main mission in the redesigned level.

They also have elusive targets. 1 chance only, no restarts or the target gets away, he also can get spooked and get away - or leave naturally and you never get to try again. Usually harder (unless you use an online guide) you need to kill a specific person in a specific way - and they make it tough. But you get extra in game xp for doing it. It can also change the level layout / design, although less than on the bonus missions.

*edit*

Also, the bad: When their servers are down and all the cool features are disabled.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2017, 14:34.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

5. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 13:14 MT Silver

I'm not sure what you mean by arcadey. Hitman 2016 is a series of murder sandboxes. Each map has a story mission, tonnes of challenges (think achievements but they give you xp for completing once) involving strange ways to kill people, escalation missions (which are missions that get progressively more complicated) and finally community made contracts. By now there's a lot of these maps so there's huge amounts of content to play. This patch in particular is exciting since it gives a bunch more options for contract makers to fiddle with and create difficult and complicated missions with.

I don't understand the criticism regarding the story. H2016 has a simple story that connects all the story missions together in a minor way without forcing you to watch cutscenes or interrogate suspects or anything like that. Until Hitman Absolution, that's how the story in Hitman games was always told so as an old fan I'm very happy they're back to the old model of letting us play the game instead.

4. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 13:12 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 13:00:
So it's still fairly arcadey? But what about replay value? I've read that there seems to be a fair bit, and that's what's most important to me (sorta like Contracts from Absolution). Though I'll definitely wait for a sale.

Maybe it's me, but after playing all the missions I found no reason to go back and replay... and while the contracts themselves are complex, once you "understand" a map they are extremely easy.

Ps.: Of course I feel the need to mention that there are indeed a ton very varied missions within a sandbox map. So when I say "all", I mean I had a good 80 hours gameplay

3. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 13:00 Rhett

2. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 12:19 Quinn

Rhett wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 11:39:

This game brings the same feature that broke Hitman Absolution for me: what should be hidden Steam achievements are entangled within the very fabric of the game. You start your mission, hit [TAB] or whatever and immediately see in which ways you can kill your target. Horrible. What was once a game that cared for both story-telling and gameplay, has now become a glorified assassination simulator. I cannot put it any better than that.

Hitman Absolution was very story driven, which is why "assassination simulator" would be silly to apply to that game. That game, however, also suffered from a deeply broken design choice what with the way disguises worked. You could also argue that game was too much on rails.

What I'm trying to say is that HITMAN 2016 and Hitman Absolution should have a baby. That would make for the Hitman we've all been waiting for since after Blood Money.

I know members like Jerykk will disagree, because I know some here really like this HITMAN in the series.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

1. Re: HITMAN: Game of the Year Edition Nov 7, 2017, 11:39 Rhett

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo